A Picture I took - 2013

Got a ship notice, then it was on my doorstep early. New D800E. Now to find some worthy subjects.

Sharpest I've ever seen this old Hartblei 35mm T/S Super-rotator lens.

2013_1219_Christmas_Lights_01_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x683.jpg

2013_1219_Christmas_Lights_02_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x683.jpg

I have had my 60d and 18-135 kit lens for a couple of weeks now. This is my first DSLR and my first time shooting at night. I am not happy with the results. Help a newbie with a few pointers for shooting at night/low light.
Have not touched these up at all in LR or any other app. The 'Neon Trees' seem way out of focus to me.

IMG_0410 by Halonos, on Flickr

IMG_0372 by Halonos, on Flickr

IMG_0366 by Halonos, on Flickr

IMG_0446 by Halonos, on Flickr

I have had my 60d and 18-135 kit lens for a couple of weeks now. This is my first DSLR and my first time shooting at night. I am not happy with the results. Help a newbie with a few pointers for shooting at night/low light.
Have not touched these up at all in LR or any other app. The 'Neon Trees' seem way out of focus to me.

Hate to be the one to break it to you buddy but... these are some great shots. They look fine to me. Carry on :)

I commented on one shot- essentially, you're trying to shoot landscapes wide open while trying to get near and far items in focus, which isn't going to work :). Try stopping the lens down to the f/8 to f/11 range. Just make sure that you find a way to lock the camera down to deal with the longer shutter speeds!

Also, noise. While the wider aperture is is preventing objects far beyond the focal plane from being resolved well, noise is taking away from your per-pixel definition. The best way to combat noise is to lower your ISO setting, just note that lower ISO settings in lower light with narrower apertures result in some absurdly long exposure times. Better have a good tripod handy!

I was going to write the same thing last night... but yeah f/8 - f/11 and log exposures...

Here are some late night light sets I did last month.... with my friends crappy tripod (one of those free ones... crappy as can be.. but it did it's job)..

http://themoores.zenfolio.com/p1001258256

Williamea: Use the back LCD to focus (get the lights to be pinpoints). Use a tripod. Base ISO to reduce noise and reduce the highlight clipping by the lights. That will make longer shutter times, so use a cable release, or if you don't have a release use the camera timer. Depending on your focus mode the camera will try to reacquire focus when using the timer, so you may have to switch it to manual focus after you focus in the LCD.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I really need to invest in a tripod.
DT - Make me wish I had my camera when I went to the fair.

Did a photography club group photoshoot on Sunday...it was the first time I've used my D800 for portraiture.

This was using natural window lighting.

Mai #1 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Last edited:
We got quite the ice storm up here, everything is still frozen, so I'll probably head out today and take some shots

11502360745_2b3cb09a9e_b.jpg

I am starting off small since this is just a hobby.... A Mamiya 645 body with Phase One digital back and 3 AF lenses ;)

Going to play around with it when I get bored with my old 5D Mark III camera ;)

I am starting off small since this is just a hobby.... A Mamiya 645 body with Phase One digital back and 3 AF lenses ;)

Going to play around with it when I get bored with my old 5D Mark III camera ;)

'Old'

I'm playing around with my EOS-M system when I get bored with my 6D system :)

Still need to go out and put the 11-22 through it's full paces with some good light and the polarizer...

Camped out in the cold to ensure I had the perfect vantage point in this first picture. :) There was a small army of Japanese photographers with tripods and I'm sure at least half of them were waiting for me to take my picture and leave, but I was determined to wait for the sun to finish going down. It's not completely gone, but I'm still very happy with this picture!

Showa Park Winter Illumination by davidgevert, on Flickr

Showa Park Fountain by davidgevert, on Flickr

Ty! Dont come now though, it was so bloody cold last night (-22c!) I almost lost my fingers trying to operate the camera :p In the summer!

I know that feeling it was about -30c here a the other morning. I was glad I had off work and didnt have to go outside until it warmed up a bit.

It's not so much the cold that bothers me, its the wind that disintegrates fingers down to the bone :(

On the bright side, I treated myself to a new toy. I got rid of the D7000 and a few other things, and I got the camera I should have gotten in the first place :)

11570299073_feb175cb47_b.jpg

That's an X100S right?

Jealous :D

Indeed it is! It's essentially the same set-up as the D7000+28mm (both are crop ~ same aperture and focal length), but two things I couldnt deal with the D7000 was 1) size as it's bloody huge and 2) the noise it made was unbearable, grabbed too much attention - at least the X100s has a silent option.

Quick impressions:
- While I understand that the X10 and X100s are in different price points, the X100s absolutely blows the X10 out of the water, FAR more so than the price difference between them.

- The EVF is rather impressive! Better than I thought. I managed to play with the sony A7 at the store, and I have to say the EVF on the X100s is miles better. I did not like the EVF on the A7 at all.

- Coming from an X10, I was already used to a Fuji UI. Transitioning was super easy.

- Editting Fuji RAW is a different mindset (vs nikon). It will take a moment for me to get used to.

Back