A Picture I took - 2013

Started packing my camera around with me during work and drove by these...

FT0A2506-XL.jpg

Wife likes it better in B&W :

FT0A2506.1-XL.jpg

FT0A2514-XL.jpg

FT0A2485-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Took my OM-D out on a trip to Yokosuka today...took part in a studio group photoshoot for a photography club that's out here. There were some hangups with kind of poor quality backgrounds (lots of wrinkles and such) and for a lot of the shots, we were just passing around someone's Pocket Wizard trigger, so I wasn't in full control of the lights. However, I gotta say my OM-D handled this shoot like a freaking boss. No AF issues (thanks, contrast-detection AF!), and my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens continues to impress me. I love this camera.

This shot is one where the light was under my control. Key light was pre-positioned, but fill light and rim light was mine...two SB-700s on Rogue Flashbender XLs in strip light configuration.

Joy #1 by davidgevert, on Flickr

A high-key shot:

Joy #4 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Danielle #2 by davidgevert, on Flickr

Oh and one more shot, piggy-backing off of someone else's turn to shoot. No studio flash, just modeling lights, so I bumped my ISO to 1600 and shot my 45mm f/1.8 lens wide-open.

Danielle #4 by davidgevert, on Flickr

First photo workshop, first model shoot. I think I missed the focus a bit due to nerves. The instructor was informative, and likes to shoot with natural light. This was shot at high noon, with no fill flash or reflector. Any comments/critiques are much appreciated since it would help me take better shots in the future.

Amber (Take 1) by pyrospawn, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nice shot, Especially for a high noon shoot.
I feel that the frame should have more of the car in it. I wonder if you took a few steps back, or shot from a higher angle. And the model's expression makes me think she is experiencing some bad gas pains ;)

However all in all that is a terrific shot!

It looks pretty good for high noon with no light mods. Pretty clear that the sun was placed behind, which is correct in this situation. Of course, doing so means no catch light in the eyes and thus the eyes look a bit flat. Don't let the instructor's bias for natural light affect you too much though. Good light is good light whether it's artificial or not. Natural light isn't always good. Learning to recognize good light is key. I personally think a lot of "natural light is best!" photographers are just simply trying to rationalize being scared of learning to light properly...

Really flat light and white skies today for a local Renaissance Faire.

Shattered lance...
a-2013_09_14-ren-faire-6541.jpg

On the charge...
a-2013_09_14-ren-faire-6564.jpg

Found this old Ford rusting away in the Shawnee National Forrest. Wish I knew the exact model & year. Reminded me of a Al Capone getaway vehicle...

FT0A2801-L.jpg

FT0A2803-L.jpg

FT0A2811-L.jpg

FT0A2809-L.jpg

^ Will have to look that up.

I went down to the Cache River wetlands today and took a few. LMK what you think...

5DKIII & 100L
FT0A2923-XL.jpg

5DMKIII & 100L
FT0A2869-XL.jpg

5DKIII & 24-70II
FT0A2891-XL.jpg

5DKIII & 24-70II
FT0A2939-XL.jpg

Really flat light and white skies today for a local Renaissance Faire.

wish I had some good pics of when i used to joust and do live steel combat. Only have a few newspaper articles and a few pics from point and shoot film cameras.

Going to the gulf coast classic hot rod and body art expo this weekend, Tomorrow to take pics and Sunday getting the upper part of my sleeve finished. Two of the things I'm most interested in photographing (Cars and tattoos) in one place. Will post up some pics if any of them turn out.

I was out scouting around my neighborhood looking for a photoshoot location when I happened upon this tunnel. It may be one of the places I use, though obviously the editing will be different.

The Way Out by davidgevert, on Flickr

Back