A Picture I took - 2013

I tried to capture a shot of Mt. Fuji today, but the weather was less than cooperative. I have plenty of time to try again though!

Mt. Fuji from Lake Yamanaka by davidgevert, on Flickr

You have the mountain, you have crazy clouds piling up on the summit and rolling in off the hills. Maybe a change to the processing would liven the photo up. Saw a photo from Trey Ratcliff today that was taken in dark overcast weather -- and includes a lake, mountains and clouds. Maybe his BlueLake photo would be an inspiration.

You have the mountain, you have crazy clouds piling up on the summit and rolling in off the hills. Maybe a change to the processing would liven the photo up. Saw a photo from Trey Ratcliff today that was taken in dark overcast weather -- and includes a lake, mountains and clouds. Maybe his BlueLake photo would be an inspiration.

The key difference in that shot is that the water is still enough to reflect the sky, adding another element to the composition. The lake I shot my photo at was a bit choppy so I elected to use an ND filter and a long exposure instead.

Tattoo photos are what I am really interested in, not necessarily models (not that I'd complain)

I'm in the process of getting a sleeve done, maybe I'll see if they'll let me hang out at the studio and take pics for theor portfolios some day for some practice.

I dont think they'd mind, any tattoo artist would appreciate exposure.

Her tattoo's were done by a combination of this guy: http://www.nikkohurtado.com/index.php

and this guy: http://nickchaboya.com/site.html

Incredble tattoo, very transformer/terminator like

The girlfriend. Taken in Maine on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean
IMG_9145-L.jpg

I've finally been shooting a little bit lately so I'll make some updates over the next couple days

I took a road trip with a friend this past weekend to visit the Salton Sea, Slab City, East Jesus, and Salvation Mountain. We had a ton of shots planned but it was just tooooooo hot and we retired to the pool pretty quickly...will return in the fall. set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/87411904@N00/sets/72157634575440454/

a couple samples

Salton Sea Roadtrip by ZJChaser, on Flickr

I just watched a documentary about the guy that made this (and some other people as well that are moved to build things for God). It's called "God's Architects". Simply stunningly strange -yet amazing- people... The guy that built the things in the image above was around 80 years old at the time and worked all day in the desert building and painting.

I just watched a documentary about the guy that made this (and some other people as well that are moved to build things for God). It's called "God's Architects". Simply stunningly strange -yet amazing- people... The guy that built the things in the image above was around 80 years old at the time and worked all day in the desert building and painting.

Ya, he is in a seniors home in the city now but they have volunteers from Slab City maintaining the place and still expanding it. I chatted with them for a little while. Very.....interesting.... crowd out there. I wish we were able to stick around for the sat night concert but had to get back, I'll stick around next time. Thanks for the mention of the documentary, I'll check it out. Slab City and Salvation Mountain were also in the movie Into The Wild. The seats that I am sitting in and the bar I'm standing at are the stage where the move was filmed.

^Very nice. Love your light control in the shot.

In the meantime, I'm still messing around with the pics from my recent trip, trying to find anything remotely interesting.

Canada-16-X2.jpg

Canada-13-X2.jpg

1. Natural Bridge in Yoho Nationl Park, Canada
2. I'm almost positive that one was taken somewhere between Banff and Jasper. I can try and look up the exact location when I get home.

edit. Yup, I was right. The second one was taken along the Johnson Canyon trail. It's right off the highway 1A between Banff and Lake Louise, to be specific.

Last edited:
Awesome firework photos guys! Any tips in photographing fireworks? I had a hard time taking good photos of the fireworks.

_7047685_LR_1000.jpg

OH MY GOD! I decide to go on a photo run with my brand spanking new D600, and I come across this! Not even 24 hours after I bought the camera. Talk about an epic photo opportunity or what?! (no one was hurt, but I was the first one on the scene with the first fire truck).

Not Another One! by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

FULL FRAME = BEST THING ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH!!!

I'm so wired from the adrenaline pumping after following closely to these firefighters. I have a story to this, and I'll share later

I'll probably be getting a D600 in September myself. I bought a Nikon 24-70 2.8 a few weeks ago.

I'll probably be getting a D600 in September myself. I bought a Nikon 24-70 2.8 a few weeks ago.

I've been eyeing it also, but I don't think I'll end up pulling the trigger. I don't want to have to buy new lenses. It's much more likely that I'll be getting a D7100.

Awesome firework photos guys! Any tips in photographing fireworks? I had a hard time taking good photos of the fireworks.

_7047685_LR_1000.jpg

Firework photography uses the same concept as light painting. Get yourself a tripod and a remote shutter release, and from then on it's just a matter of timing.

Firework photography uses the same concept as light painting. Get yourself a tripod and a remote shutter release, and from then on it's just a matter of timing.

Thanks for the tip. I've watching tutorials and reading about light painting after I read your message.

I was up all night, and around 4am, I decided to try out my D600 by heading to my usual skyline spots to compare the differences between FF/CF. After the first spot, and on route to the second spot. I came across a building in the east part of downtown under fire. My first reaction was "uhhh, something's not right?!". 30 seconds later, a fire truck parks in front of me. Realizing what's going on, I find a parking spot, get out, and try to photography it. I was early on, most of the residents were sleeping, and no one stopped me from getting close and following the fighters. The only thing keeping me further back was the radiant heat from the fire itself, which was a little intense for a guy in a t-shirt and shorts. This went on for about an hour or so, where I had to put up with some smoke and getting a little wet. When a crowd started to build, they taped off the area, pushed people further back, and I got kicked out. Not too shabby for a random stumble upon.

On another note, all those hydrants under use = A LOT OF WATER!

Extinguish by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice photos Empty Quarter. These sorts of photos you don't see often, which is a good thing.

Thanks all! It was certainly a great case of being at the right place, and at the right time. Total fluke. Enjoying the new toy. I do intend on selling the D7000 and tokina 11-16, they certainly dont have much use to me after this purchase. All that's left is a 16-35 f/4, and I'm a happy camper.

Here's two photos comparing FF/CF from the exact same angle, same lens, and same exposure. Different times of day for sure, but it certainly shows how detailed a FF gets. Similar to how I mentioned in the other thread, amazing much a crop camera "crops". I would have thought that dealing with 24MP files would've been a little bit of a problem. It's not - but it certainly eats up the memory card a whole lot faster - need to start buying 64GB cards instead of 32, because that wont cut it anymore.

D600:

Graduation by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

D7000:

Polson Pier by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

Last edited:
One of my friends organized a music festival this weekend, so I figured I'd go out and play around with some more high ISO shots. These are a mix of ISO 25,600 and 12,800. For NR I just put the noise reduction slider to about 20 in Lightroom.

IMG_5326_zpsd41627b2.jpg~original

IMG_5124_zps1f78be99.jpg~original

IMG_5103_zps4c0ac033.jpg~original

IMG_5458_zps816c7c2f.jpg~original

IMG_5568_zps8a147643.jpg~original

IMG_5580_zpsb4167ffc.jpg~original

Long time lurker, I just shoot for hobby/fun but had to share this. Fairly proud of myself, if I say so.

Sunset over Charlotte, 7-11-13 after DAYS of rain.

9264214797_dfd662691c_b.jpg

Canon 10D (yes, the old one), Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Macro

I was up all night, and around 4am, I decided to try out my D600 by heading to my usual skyline spots to compare the differences between FF/CF. After the first spot, and on route to the second spot. I came across a building in the east part of downtown under fire. My first reaction was "uhhh, something's not right?!". 30 seconds later, a fire truck parks in front of me. Realizing what's going on, I find a parking spot, get out, and try to photography it. I was early on, most of the residents were sleeping, and no one stopped me from getting close and following the fighters. The only thing keeping me further back was the radiant heat from the fire itself, which was a little intense for a guy in a t-shirt and shorts. This went on for about an hour or so, where I had to put up with some smoke and getting a little wet. When a crowd started to build, they taped off the area, pushed people further back, and I got kicked out. Not too shabby for a random stumble upon.

On another note, all those hydrants under use = A LOT OF WATER!
WOW! Amazing shots dude! It doesn't get better than that! Wonderful timing for the first outing with the D600! :cool:

On of my favorite drawings from the chalkfest I went. It was tough photographing them because I could get high enough. There was some amazing work there too. If any of you have a chalkfest that happens near you I highly recommend going. The photos I took don't do the work justice.

Wreck-It Ralph by MrWrong66, on Flickr

Back