1008930_4475728786255_1086631896_o.jpg

Moar airplanes....

one of 5 flying F6F hellcats:

a-2013_06_28-FHC-F6F-A6M3-3845.jpg

a-2013_06_28-FHC-F6F-A6M3-4062.jpg

BB

^^ Love it, excellent shot, It was a lot harder than it looks im sure

Thanks! :)

Definitely wasn't an easy shot but honestly also had to do with being in the right place at the right moment. A bit of luck always helps to make a good shot.

Thanks! :)

Definitely wasn't an easy shot but honestly also had to do with being in the right place at the right moment. A bit of luck always helps to make a good shot.
Very true. Amazing shot PC_User! Love it!

Saw an 80's cover band, Pyromaniac, this weekend. They put on an incredible show. At first I left my camera in the car, but after watching their first few songs I ran back to grab it.

IMG_4046_zpsf18eda81.jpg

IMG_4034_zps57069eba.jpg

IMG_3945_zpsd7126bed.jpg

IMG_3863_zpsaad0940b.jpg

IMG_4101_zps80ae2bed.jpg

I like the different angles but can't choose a favorite. Which you do like the best? 1,2, or 3?

angle1.jpg

angle2.jpg

angle3.jpg

And some wild horses at the Salt River.

wildhorses.jpg

I like 2. There is a feeling of being lead into the scene. The angle of perspective is pleasing, and the mirrored repetitive element of the log above the water to the log under is excellent, and this same idea is copied with the shadows. I might clone out that dark line on the left that is reaching into the water highlight.

Next would be 1. But I feel the grass could have been handled differently. There is a layered view to this scene, and I wonder what it would have looked like if you got lower, and used the grass to fully frame the logs and hill.

What is the blue rope thing on the log in picture 1?

Bought a tripod and a remote for my camera today, gonna try and get some decent fireworks shots tonight

Thanks Viper! And those are clean firework images! And here are my photos from this evening.

IMG_7195_small.jpg

IMG_7230_small.jpg

IMG_7259_small.jpg

IMG_7367_small.jpg

IMG_7394_1_small.jpg

Nice colors in the fireworks Viper87227. The smoke adds a little something something to the colors.

James, great locations in these photos. The evening desert landscape is so foreign to me living in MN. I like how you got a good distance a way from the fireworks and include some of the landscape.

Nice colors in the fireworks Viper87227. The smoke adds a little something something to the colors.

James, great locations in these photos. The evening desert landscape is so foreign to me living in MN. I like how you got a good distance a way from the fireworks and include some of the landscape.

Thanks man. Trying to set my photos apart.

I took about 1600 pictures last night, I havent gone through them all most were awful, either blurry, framed badly or way to bright. Got a lot to learn about shooting at night. I've tried to take pics of fireworks with a point and shoot before...so the few that I got last night that werent terrible were way better than anything I've gotten before. I think i was way to close, colors didnt really come out in any of the pics I took.

7-4-2013 by leezardmik, on Flickr

7-4-2013 by leezardmik, on Flickr

Last edited:
I took about 1600 pictures last night, I havent gone through them all most were awful, either blurry, framed badly or way to bright. Got a lot to learn about shooting at night. I've tried to take pics of fireworks with a point and shoot before...so the few that I got last night that werent terrible were way better than anything I've gotten before. I think i was way to close, colors didnt really come out in any of the pics I took.

I had the same problem last night, I was too close. A lot of my shots weren't framed quite how I would have liked them to be. I was also down wind, so there was tons of smoke and shit falling from the sky, it was a challenge. But I'm still really pleased with what I got.

Tonight they are doing fireworks from the Fairgrounds about 3 blocks away from me. I'm going to hang back this time and try to get some farther away shots and see which come out better.

Being upwind, or to the side, sure helps.

I had trouble focusing last night. The problem started because I thought the fireworks were going to be much larger, so I setup and focused when I could at 16mm focal length. This year he scaled back to 3 inch mortars (from 6) and shot a lot more smaller consumer grade mortars of I'm sure 1 range. I found myself having to zoom my lens in. Zooming doesn't keep the same focus point.

The trick to focus again that I found, was to go into liveview at your widest aperture. Zoom in to 100%. Find a bright light a similar distance. Manually focus so that it is as small as possible and doesn't have any odd flare.

Here is one picture from last night. I'm trying to process them in both Capture NX 2 and Lightroom, to see which I like more.
2013_0704_Fireworks_1_by_Adam_Bavier.jpg

This was shot at F/16. I think that is why all the little wispy particles are visible.

Last edited:
More fireworks tonight. This time I stayed far away and with a high vantage point. I'm not really as pleased as last night. It's too bad, because the actual fireworks tonight were significantly better, but I got a lot less shots I'm pleased with. Here's a handful I liked though.

1GCOPYj.jpg

2iRz18s.jpg

L3GGtc6.jpg

Handful more photos. The show was 1 hour long from 9:30PM to 10:30PM. Most of my photos are from 9:30 to 10 when there was a bit more light. I switched lens a couple times from a wide 10-24mm to 70-300 then finished with the 50mm. The 50mm easily locked on focus in live view with the help of the 1.8 aperture. I would have been fine with the 50 for the entire show because a majority of the fireworks were shorter -- would have focused with f/1.8 and shot at f/8+.

Lightroom rocks for pulling up shadows and reducing highlights. The highlight reduction was great for pulling out the details in the center of the bursts. It handled pulling up the landscape (shadows) really well without inducing little black dots like I saw in Capture NX2.

Going to put these in spoiler tags so the thread isn't filled with 11 pictures.

2013_0704_Fireworks_02_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_03_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_04_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_05_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_06_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_07_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_08_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_09_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_10_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_11_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

2013_0704_Fireworks_12_by_Adam_Bavier_-_1000w.jpg

Back