A Picture I took - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Great looking shots! Love the extended-exposure look of these and the coloring.

Mind sharing some of your technique for these? What was the exposure time, and what kind of tripod/camera/lens are you using? (couldn't get to exif data from the Flickr hosting)

Are you layering together multiple images to get the combination of blurry water w/ sharp clouds etc?

northrop:
I was working with a few new ND filters recently...it turns out they were rated in optical density and not F-stop reduction. They were a little on the strong side... :p (they wouldn't exactly fit on 35mm equipment though)

As far as the effect that you have here...wow. I would have expected sharper and deeper shadows (~less shadow detail) given the few clouds in the sky. Do you have an exposure without the ND to compare with? I wonder if the filter isn't entirely neutral and is blocking a bunch of one channel or another so it doesn't blow out and lose detail...pretty neat whatever the case.

northrop:
I was working with a few new ND filters recently...it turns out they were rated in optical density and not F-stop reduction. They were a little on the strong side... :p (they wouldn't exactly fit on 35mm equipment though)

As far as the effect that you have here...wow. I would have expected sharper and deeper shadows (~less shadow detail) given the few clouds in the sky. Do you have an exposure without the ND to compare with? I wonder if the filter isn't entirely neutral and is blocking a bunch of one channel or another so it doesn't blow out and lose detail...pretty neat whatever the case.
Thanks for the info. The filter I'm using is a custom Singh Ray filter, measured at just a little over 1000x attenuation, or a little over 3.0 density which equates to 10 stops.

I do not have a filter-free image to compare it to from that shoot, unfortunately. However, you might find this interesting:

i-s2T26Sx-L.jpg

I have to test it out a little bit more, but it seems like I'm getting an X looking pattern (among other things) across the frame with this filter, which is consistent with the tulip lens hood. I'm now wondering if I should ditch the lens hood next time in hopes of a more uniform spread?

^^^Great looking shots! Love the extended-exposure look of these and the coloring.

Mind sharing some of your technique for these? What was the exposure time, and what kind of tripod/camera/lens are you using? (couldn't get to exif data from the Flickr hosting)

Are you layering together multiple images to get the combination of blurry water w/ sharp clouds etc?

the first 2 shots were with my 5DmarkII and 70-200 2.8L and the rest on the page were with the same camera but 17-40L.

Most of these are anywhere from 10 to 30 secs long using lee and hitech filters besides the spit gold coast image since i didnt have any filters at the time so i had to use a peice of neg film in the gel holder on the 17-40L.

Once iv taken the photo its then retouched in photoshop with lots of different layers and masks for adjustments.

Few more photos

this is a 10 image composite

Currumbin Beach, Gold Coast, Australia by andrewnarit, on Flickr

The Spit Gold Coast by andrewnarit, on Flickr

Fisherman by andrewnarit, on Flickr

Gold in the rocks , Gold Coast Australia by andrewnarit, on Flickr

Such great pictures everyone.. I wish I could go out and take pictures.....

Cannot wait until my 4 month old and 2 1/2 year old gets older..... that way I can get out...

Thanks for the info. The filter I'm using is a custom Singh Ray filter, measured at just a little over 1000x attenuation, or a little over 3.0 density which equates to 10 stops.

I do not have a filter-free image to compare it to from that shoot, unfortunately. However, you might find this interesting:

I have to test it out a little bit more, but it seems like I'm getting an X looking pattern (among other things) across the frame with this filter, which is consistent with the tulip lens hood. I'm now wondering if I should ditch the lens hood next time in hopes of a more uniform spread?

northrop is this a variable ND filter you are using? The X pattern is a known issue. The wider you shoot the more pronounced it will be. It will also be more obvious the more you have the variable ND stopped down.

The X pattern with variable ND filters was why I got a straight 10 stop filter.

Vancouver, British Columbia skyline

2h51pur.jpg

I like very much, the shaw tower is incredible to look at. This is quite a rare view of vancity, it's not too often you see a pic of its downtown. There's lots of aerial shots with mountain backgrounds, and too many of the bc place/condos, but not a lot of this.

northrop is this a variable ND filter you are using? The X pattern is a known issue. The wider you shoot the more pronounced it will be. It will also be more obvious the more you have the variable ND stopped down.

The X pattern with variable ND filters was why I got a straight 10 stop filter.
variable ND filter? They tend to have the X-shaped coverage pattern

Nope, not a vari-ND. Just a solid chunk of glass.

However, you two got me thinking. The filter is from Singh Ray... who's to say they didn't just slap two 5-stop filters together? Could be... but I'm not about to bust open the filter up, just to confirm my suspicions. In any case, what other 10-stop would you guys recommend? LEE's big stopper?

Not 10-stop, I think its 9, but I use a hoya NDX400, and found no issues with it at all. No x-shaped pattern - it is a screw in filter though. The other alternative is a B&W 110, which I believe is a 10-stop, but I haven't used it, I essentially had to choose between hoya or B&W.

^Good to know. The Hoya is indeed a 9 stop, but it's also pretty cheap at only $100 for a 77mm thread.

Hm... I dunno what to do. On one hand, I'd really like to invest in 2 LEE's and get 20 stops, on the other... it's a lot of monies just to get one or two shots every now and then.

I like very much, the shaw tower is incredible to look at. This is quite a rare view of vancity, it's not too often you see a pic of its downtown. There's lots of aerial shots with mountain backgrounds, and too many of the bc place/condos, but not a lot of this.

Thanks. I also like this view more than the views of the condos from Granville Island or Spyglass (although I have those shots as well :p).

Nope, not a vari-ND. Just a solid chunk of glass.

However, you two got me thinking. The filter is from Singh Ray... who's to say they didn't just slap two 5-stop filters together? Could be... but I'm not about to bust open the filter up, just to confirm my suspicions. In any case, what other 10-stop would you guys recommend? LEE's big stopper?

I purchased the B+W 110 from 2filter.com. I haven't truly used it in enough to make many comments about it. The best photos I have on hand are from 2 years ago. I don't see any X patterns in them.

When I went up north to Lake Superior earlier this summer, I rolled my ankle the first day out there and could barely walk for the next week. I had hoped to take some nice long water shots, but it never happened.

Just trying to make my shitty camera take nicer pictures...always fails.

IMG_3465.JPG

I purchased the B+W 110 from 2filter.com. I haven't truly used it in enough to make many comments about it. The best photos I have on hand are from 2 years ago. I don't see any X patterns in them.

When I went up north to Lake Superior earlier this summer, I rolled my ankle the first day out there and could barely walk for the next week. I had hoped to take some nice long water shots, but it never happened.
Thanks for the tip. I'll do a little bit more research and pick up some filters in the near future when funds permit.

And sorry to hear about your experience. On my last trip, I dropped a lens and that alone was a costly experience. Getting injured is even worse!

A quick run through the Grand Caynon
Sunrise

Rainbow from a quick shower

Sunset

Seppman Mill, in Minneopa State Park, MN. In the late 1800s a German gentleman wanted to grind wheat into flour like they did back in his homeland by using a windmill. The mill was successful for a bit, but was plagued by natural disasters like lightning and tornadoes. Wikipedia article.
Seppman_Mill_at_Minneopa_State_Park_by_Adam_Bavier_-_3_-_1024x680.jpg

Seppman_Mill_at_Minneopa_State_Park_by_Adam_Bavier_-_4_-_1024x680.jpg

Hillside of nicely colored fall leaves in Mankato, MN.
Fall_Leaves_in_Mankato_MN_2012_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x682.jpg

Impatient Virgin? warming up prior to an air-to-air photo shoot:
b-2012_09_27-352-seattle-5713.jpg

Jumbo! 747-8 landing at Paine Field
b-2012_09_27-352-seattle-5788.jpg

b-2012_09_27-352-seattle-5789.jpg

Just a few shots taken at BlackWater Falls today. I was able to finally find a trail to the bottom of the falls and had a great time shooting from a different angle. Thankfully I didn't break myself in the trip down, or back up. I had on my tennis shoes with hardly any tread and the hike in was very slippery.

DSC_0156 by D. Washington, on Flickr

DSC_0173 by D. Washington, on Flickr

DSC_0184 by D. Washington, on Flickr

DSC_0265 by D. Washington, on Flickr

DSC_0274 by D. Washington, on Flickr

DSC_0238 by D. Washington, on Flickr

Through the Mist by Empty Quarter, on Flickr

I wasn't prepared for this shot all, the clouds didn't cooperate, the settings on the camera were all off (very high ISO from a previous shot, lol). When the sun poked through a tiny gap, I had a very shot time to capture it. Best I could do. I love the drama though!

Last edited:
Ty

Woah, At first I thought those "ripples" were small cracks in the ground, turns out they're massive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back