A Picture I Took - 2011

Hey, I hope our resident airplane photographer wasn't in Reno on Friday?

Thanks for the concern. I was nowhere near Reno, though the aviation community from our neck of the woods lost three people. :(

Last Fly Day was last Saturday. A couple more B-25 shots.

I thought this was interesting - the motion blur and depth of field on the clouds, plus the bit of angular progression/depth of field on the bomber gives a strong hint of the tilt-shift effect that I thought was interesting:
b-2011_09_23-B-25-5373.jpg

The polarizer added some pop.
b-2011_09_23-B-25-5562.jpg

Down to 1/160th at 400mm. Aircraft not as sharp as I'd like, but I like the sensation of speed from the blurred clouds.
b-2011_09_23-B-25-5479.jpg

Also - was debating on whether to go to Mt. Rainier and an acquaintance travelling near there said "Mountain's out, you should go, flowers are just past peak!" Got to paradise at about 5:15 to completely overcast skies (which we could tell for our last hour of our approach). *sigh* Ran outta light FAST, though the sun poked through a hole for about 2 minutes.

b-2011_09_23-Rainer-5665.jpg

b-2011_09_23-Rainer-5684.jpg

b-2011_09_23-Rainer-5734.jpg

b-2011_09_23-Rainer-5776.jpg

BB

Last edited:
Here's some test shots from a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens i got recently. They were all taken from the Canon Rebel XTi/400D. Don't mind the terrible composition/editing.

f/1.4 1/50s ISO800
mg6902.jpg

Flowers

f/8.0 1/50s ISO100
mg6872.jpg

f/2.0 1/3200s ISO100
mg6924.jpg

I was surprised by how vivid the red rose was. There was no adjustment in saturation.

Sharpness testing

f/5.6 1/400s ISO100
mg6844u.jpg

f/5.6 1/500s ISO100
mg6930.jpg

Clouds

f/8.0 1/40s ISO100
mg6811s.jpg

f/13.0 1/100s ISO100
mg6798.jpg

f/13.0 1/125s ISO100
mg6797.jpg

Hey, I took that shot (different airport) recently too:

6157361484_c501c2ffd4_z.jpg

Well, here's a couple more from my flight.

All four shots I believe are all of/from the same plane - a Continental/United Boeing 737-800 registered N14231. However, I did shoot around the airport so they might not be.

Last edited:
A picture from my Mamiya C330 TLR camera. This is taken at Many Point Family Camp looking across Many Point Lake towards the Huck Finn Raft. ISO 800, F/22, 1/500s Had the ISO 800 film in there from the prior evening. I'm just playing around with the medium format film. I like the look of the pictures when shot wide open, so little depth of field even at F/4 with a full body and surrounding environment shot. This was one of my first landscape shots.

Many_Point_2011_-_Huck_Finn_Raft.jpg

Scanned on an Epson V500 in Vuescan. Output a raw 48bit tiff. Took the inverse of each color manually via the curves adjustment. Normally I've been happy with the "Generic" film profile in Vuescan, but for this ISO 800 film there were some weird color splotches that weren't there when I manually processed it. Added curves layer with a mask of two gradients coming from the top and bottom to darken both areas. Also adjusted the the color balance on the horizon.

I'm sorry - I don't want my raw fish served on top of a warm person (regardless of whether they are cute)...

No worries.. I am still alive... I guess the 11 or so shots of patron killed all germs/bacteria :)

The most recent photo I've taken..
Mall security ran me off before I could get the lighting perfect, but still came out halfway decent I think.
s2kshoot2_3_s2ki.jpg

apparently they weren't a fan of me being parked in the middle of lot with multiple light stands set up past midnight.. angry old man ha
At most places, security ends up talking to me and/or watching the shoot from behind the equipment, but at this place they apparently hired Mr.Scrooge..

A picture from my Mamiya C330 TLR camera. This is taken at Many Point Family Camp looking across Many Point Lake towards the Huck Finn Raft. ISO 800, F/22, 1/500s Had the ISO 800 film in there from the prior evening. I'm just playing around with the medium format film. I like the look of the pictures when shot wide open, so little depth of field even at F/4 with a full body and surrounding environment shot. This was one of my first landscape shots.

Many_Point_2011_-_Huck_Finn_Raft.jpg

Scanned on an Epson V500 in Vuescan. Output a raw 48bit tiff. Took the inverse of each color manually via the curves adjustment. Normally I've been happy with the "Generic" film profile in Vuescan, but for this ISO 800 film there were some weird color splotches that weren't there when I manually processed it. Added curves layer with a mask of two gradients coming from the top and bottom to darken both areas. Also adjusted the the color balance on the horizon.

I've been up there...

I've been up there...

Excellent. The family camp side is nice, but not the same as being up there with all your friends on the main part of camp. I guess from discussing with people the feeling of Family Camp really changes depending on who the current director is. Evidently the current director is better than the last.

Here is a picture from a couple days ago near me:
Maple_Grove_MN_Water_Tower_September_28th_2011_by_Adam_Bavier_682x1024.jpg

Taken with a polarizer to darken the sky and make the wispy clouds pop out more. Brought the shadows up a hair, clipped the blacks a tad, and a slight saturation boost to the entire image. Was taken right at sunset, so the sun did most of the work.

Last edited:
Had focused on the stamens of the left hosta flower. Right before I snapped the shutter the bee landed. Taken with Nikon 35mm @ f/1.8.
Bee_on_Hosta_by_Adam_Bavier_1023x682.jpg

Had focused on the stamens of the left hosta flower. Right before I snapped the shutter the bee landed. Taken with Nikon 35mm @ f/1.8.
Bee_on_Hosta_by_Adam_Bavier_1023x682.jpg

I just tried to do something similar yesterday with a spider. Your pic turned out pretty good for only f/1.8. Nikon metering doesn't work with spider webs....

Toying around...

MultiplePlay.jpg

Interesting. At first I was looking at this thinking it was a bunch of guys after a baseball game(the shirt), then I was like why are you laying on the groud...and standing....oooohhhh:p

Not by me, but by mom. I'm in the red, my brother is dipping his face in the mud at the NYC 5K Merrill Mud Run last Sunday.

DSCF3228.JPG

A few I took with a crappy 3 year old Olympus 770SW water/shock proof camera on the run:

It was a beautiful day:
PA020023.JPG

PA020042.JPG

The one with the hair is the youngest, who asked us to come on this with him for his 40th B-day.
PA020048.JPG

Aftermath:
PA020058.JPG

What a goofy look on my face.... :/
PA020061.JPG

Even though I am the oldest, I whupped their butts. While actually finishing "last", I was able to run ahead and settle behind repeatedly to get the pics while they were huffin' and puffin' to keep a relatively slow 10-ish minute pace. Nothin' like schoolin' your younger brothers in a challenge when you're an old fart... :D

I will say that having that little POS 4 year old camera was infinitely better than not having a camera at all.

BB

Last edited:
Back