A Picture I Took - 2011

G9_by_evilneil.jpg

G2_by_evilneil.jpg

G4_by_evilneil.jpg

ButterFlyz_by_evilneil.jpg

Fall_is_here____by_evilneil.png

Hi all. Some of you may remember by Summer 2011 album.

i am now going to do one For Autumn/Winter

Its not quite winter yet but i more or less take my camera with me every day to work so i wil be taking some pics during the cold days of winter :)

I am also planning to do some Studio pic experiments at home using flash triggers etc on pics u see of water drops etc etc but for now here are some i took last week and this week:

IMG_6238.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6234.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6173.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6302.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6121.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6096.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6066.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

IMG_6522.jpg by jonneymendoza, on Flickr

A few things I am not happy about (slightly missed focus, extra leaf) but like the shot overall:

b-2011_10_23-fall-6208-bw.jpg

At first I didn't mind the softness at the edges of the tokina 12-24 I got, but man, its starting to bug me. :( Can only use them at snapshot resolution. Event reduced to 1600 max linear pixels they're soft at the edges, at least at F6.3 like these were. Hell, you can even see it at 900 max linear pixel resolution.

b-2011_10_23-fall-6220.jpg

b-2011_10_23-fall-6221-2.jpg

BB

A few shots from my trip up to Solvang off the 154. It turns out that these were way more interesting than Solvang itself.

Solvang-Oaks-in-the-Grass.jpg

Solvang-Sun-through-Oak.jpg

There's more on the website for those interested.

Last edited:
I call shenanigans. Your face isn't on there, it's just some daft stitching of a bunch of buildings!

Call shens all you want..... They used this picture, but we had to enhance the sky so it would not bleed into the outer blue...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darktiger/4796364640/

A lot of my houston images have been bought for websites, prints, childrens books, magazines... but this is my first patch.....

Call shens all you want..... They used this picture, but we had to enhance the sky so it would not bleed into the outer blue...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darktiger/4796364640/

A lot of my houston images have been bought for websites, prints, childrens books, magazines... but this is my first patch.....

Common Stanford, I was poking fun at your turn of phrase. :p "...a badge with my picture on it"
Nevermind, it's probably 6000x less funny now that I've explained the joke.

Well... not posting photos in a photo thread feels pretty criminal. I guess I'd better post more in this space.

The-Ghetty-Entrance-Statue.jpg

The-Ghetty-South-Side.jpg

The-Ghetty-Trees.jpg

Here are a few from a short visit to the Ghetty Center. If you're interested in more, they can be found here. I'm still highly annoyed that they don't allow tripods at the Ghetty...

Last edited:
how do you meter for the sky? My photos always come out with blown out skies.

Generally speaking on sunny days I shoot 1 stop under (there have been occasions that are very glare-y, that I've been up to 2 2/3 stops under). For most of my outdoor shooting unless I want something with blur or other effects I shoot in aperture priority so it's pretty easy to get the depth of field I want.

In post if sections are still blown out I can recover a lot of them in curves and/or highlights and properly expose the rest of the photo that was shot one stop below.

I use Aperture 3.2 for all of my post work, but similar should be able to be done in Lightroom or Photoshop.

(Indoor and night are generally fully manual.)

Last edited:
Those pics look excellent,Empty_Quarter,especially the colors that pop out. I've been considering getting a D90 or a D7000 if the price is right myself.

West-Los-Angeles-Three.jpg

West-Los-Angeles-Rows.jpg

A few photos from West LA at fairly late at night. Probably would have been better to get their earlier, but I'm unsure if they appreciate people photographing their cars, although I imagine it happens all the time.

A fall pic sorry for the crappy size, makes a nice desktop, 5d2, 50mm f1.2

^ nice picture... I am still trying to decide between the 50mm f/1.2 or the zeiss 50mm f/2 MP...... that zeiss lens is crazy 3d sharp with creamy bokeh, but the 50mm f/1.2 is a 1.2... but it is still kind of slow at focusing like my 85L... but I know its because it's a lot of glass to move around....

Yeah I love the 50 f1.2. The dof on it is razor thin at 1.2 but when you hit focus its amazing the bokeh is great prob only next to your 85L 1.2, the 50mm 1.2 is prob faster at focusing than your 85L 1.2 which is just a beast. I know the 85L has a motorized focus ring cuz the glass is so big. Focus on the 50mm seems about as fast as any of my other USM L lenses. This lens is just insanely sharp as you stop it down.

Back