A Picture I Took - 2011

We start with the NEVER been photographed Nubble Lighthouse!
6220329593_c4591b5c67_b.jpg

6220845044_b83d15d00f_b.jpg

6220955808_a54e9b83d9_b.jpg

6220322997_1aeb194242_b.jpg

My personal favorite of the day is Keep Out.

Convinced a model to do an experimental infrared photo shoot with me at a park :)

We only had a few minutes of evening sunlight as it had been kinda crappy/cloudy all day.

IMG_6806.jpg
IMG_6818.jpg
IMG_6822.jpg
IMG_6869.jpg
IMG_6896.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg
IMG_6941.jpg

I wish I had a cool park like that to do shoots... or a even a model :(

Congrats to both of you, that's awesome! I have a feeling there's gonna be another flood of baby pics in the 2012 thread :)

Darktiger, you get way more sun where you are for this type of shot - the leaves are half gone already up here in BC. I liked the very directional 'golden hour' light though.

Thanks...

Yeah we have sun... lots of it.. but it is also hot 100+ and we are in extreme drought... worst in like 60-70 years... Texas is suffering... but this fall/winter I look forward to getting out and shooting...

Stay tuned :)
Just think cabin in the hill country with 15 models, alcohol, over the course of 3 days ;)

Congrats to DarkTiger and jebo..

Silver - holy flare! Did you add that in post or is that a result of the infrared conversion/filter?

Thanks...

Yeah we have sun... lots of it.. but it is also hot 100+ and we are in extreme drought... worst in like 60-70 years... Texas is suffering... but this fall/winter I look forward to getting out and shooting...

Stay tuned :)
Just think cabin in the hill country with 15 models, alcohol, over the course of 3 days ;)

That sucks, and here I am listening to the pouring rain hammering at my window, wishing it were sunny enough to go outside and shoot ;)

That trip sounds like a recipe for so many things, some good, some awesome, and some... :D

Congrats to DarkTiger and jebo..

Silver - holy flare! Did you add that in post or is that a result of the infrared conversion/filter?

botw, the flare is all due to the Rokinon 8mm fisheye's bulbous, uncoated front element. It's super flare-happy. Usually I try not to shoot into the sun but I've grown to like it recently.

I was thinking of picking that lens up (was deciding between it and the 14) but I think that puts the 14 in the lead for me... Though otherwise I've seen nothing to suggest any of the OEM fish have anything over the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower/etc...

The 8mm Rokinon/S/B/etc does not have the best minimum focusing distance. That is one complaint with it, and where the Nikon is much better. 2nd complaint is that the focus scale is completely wrong on mine; always end up using live view with magnification.

I haven't seen it flare that big and with so many rings. Normally just one or two small hexagons if I shoot with the sun near the edge of the frame. Possible the IR conversion on the camera is making it stand out more?

One more, more [H]

6252587426_c1975401fc_z.jpg

4X on my mp-e 65 (and also, very very dead. Luckily memory prices are back down....)

I've tried HDR a few times with the limited tools I have, and have never been really happy with the results, typically falling back onto masks and exposure blending. Apparently, I took the right three exposures this time in a couple of instances because with the combination of Paintshop Pro X3's HDR merge, PhotoPlusX4's HDR merge and then combining the more pleasing of the results of the two using layers and masks, I finally have some decent results. Not the greatest shots, but getting something out of almost nothing was pretty nice. I'm not a fan of the overly processed look, I rather want to represent what I think I saw in real life but using the limited brightness levels available in jpg and monitor, and I think these two images represent that.

Fading light as we were heading back down the mountain from Park Butte, I knew there was at least one pic I had missed on the way up, the classic "reflection" shot. However, I knew the valley where there was standing water was already in shadow, so I would have to attempt an HDR. So I did. Unfortunately, the wind picked up *just* enough to distort the reflection - and the foreground terrain wasn't the best.

The three exposures:
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6101.jpg
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6102.jpg
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6103.jpg

Exposure: 1/30 second, Aperture: 9.0; Exposure: 1/60 second, Aperture: 9.0; Exposure: 1/15 second, Aperture: 9.0

The final image:
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-merged-6101.jpg

Then, as we got farther down the mountain, sunset was tinging everything that was white up high orangy pink. Heading down quickly to avoid being completely in the dark, I took 5-10 minutes in a gullywash ravine, making the girls wait. I was hurrying, and missed the focus on these shots due to that hurrying - however I kind of like the sharp foreground/blurry background effect that resulted

The three exposures:
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6164.jpg
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6165.jpg
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-base-6166.jpg

Exposure: 1/4 second, Aperture: 10.0; Exposure: 1/8 second, Aperture: 10.0; Exposure: 1/2 second, Aperture: 10.0

The final image:
b-2011_10_16-Park-Butte-hdr-merged-6164.jpg

The results encourages me to try some more of this. I had almost given up on getting decent results.

BB

Ive got a ton but here are some fun ones.

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9325s.jpg

IMG_2308bw2.jpg

flymacros2.jpg

IMG_9853s.jpg

IMG_9841s.jpg

IMG_9809.jpg

newxanga.jpg

love.jpg

6774_109835241724_681271724_2325450_7611186_n.jpg
Cant forget the comp pic ;)

Last edited:
Here's part one of a horror-movie-themed Halloween photo shoot that has brought me a fair amount of attention, both positive and negative.

I have to admit that the images are a little more graphic than I'd envisioned before the shoot, but in the end I think they match the genre and are pretty tame and obviously fake by even PG13 b-movie / slasher film standards.

Anyway, let me know what you think - they've garnered me more than a few 'Dislike' button presses on 500px ;)

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:
GREAT examples of HDR. So often HDR turns into who can make the image look the most 3d and artificial. These on the other hand are great examples.

Thanks!

And, finally, the last one from this trip, a panorama. Could use some HDR on the left side to bring out the low forest, and I forgot to take off my polarizer so have some unevenness in the sky, but not bad as it is.

A 120 degree view from the Park Butte lookout.

(click the small image to see the larger)

Nice! I love IR portraits! I see you had some issues with surface veins popping up, I got lucky with my model and didn't really see them but they totally pop up on some people; bruises too.

Here's part one of a horror-movie-themed Halloween photo shoot that has brought me a fair amount of attention, both positive and negative.

I have to admit that the images are a little more graphic than I'd envisioned before the shoot, but in the end I think they match the genre and are pretty tame and obviously fake by even PG13 b-movie / slasher film standards.

Anyway, let me know what you think - they've garnered me more than a few 'Dislike' button presses on 500px ;)

Nice photo shoot. Too bad the models didn't live up to your talent, they just seem so... motionless and dry. They just don't do it for me. It sucks, because it seems like you've put in a lot of work into it, and the best shots are when they are both looking away (especially the last shot).

Back