** A Picture I Took - 2010 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC_User - love the conversion on the city-scape. Like your night bridge shot also.

Hey, well if it isn't the trusty Cobalt. You should get the Cobalt SS/ TC(turbo)
haha yeah i might be getting a sti in 2 months and if i dont get one it will be either a wrx or the turbo ss. My brother has the supercharged one, its way better.

haha yeah i might be getting a sti in 2 months and if i dont get one it will be either a wrx or the turbo ss. My brother has the supercharged one, its way better.

Sti, nice. You know a WRX would not be bad either. In test done by Car&Driver the WRX was just a shy 1sec behind the STI. The SC cobalts are ok, make some decent power, but the current Cobalts SS turbo make some good power out of just a tune and are cheap to mod.

lets try and keep it on topic guys :)

I like Japanese cars.

Oh, and here's a picture. Trying to work on my high-speed sync fill flash for outdoor backlit situations.

4449701806_08c448c0c5_b.jpg

4456777391_d48a43bc9f_b.jpg

Disproportionality FTW. (This is my first L glass after selling my 5D MKII + 24-105L)

I'm actually thinking of picking up a 7D.

Congrats on the new lens. Shame to put that 17-40 on a crop camera though.

Congrats on the new lens. Shame to put that 17-40 on a crop camera though.

Agreed, the 17-40L is a great ultra-wide lens on a FF body, on a crop its just a 'meh' standard zoom. If you don't plan on going back to full frame anytime soon I'd see if I could sell the 17-40 and pick up a 17-55 f/2.8 IS or something similar - it's longer / faster / smarter.

I know what you mean about putting a large diameter lens like that on a rebel body though, do you get a shadow from the popup flash? My AF assist beam is slightly blocked by the side of the lens, I sometimes use my flash's assist beam instead if I know I'll be working in low light conditions.

I got it for my trip to Hong Kong/Shanghai/Beijing/Japan :) Will probably sell it afterwards again if I don't get a 7D.

Where are you going to in Japan. I just went to Japan in January. Lots of cool and fun stuff to do. In December I was in Hong Kong

PC User,

That is one Beautiful shot, so worthy that it's my new background. NICE WORK!!!

So I got my D5000 about a month ago, and I'm looking for some tips on what I can do to start improving these pictures. I only have the lens that it came with so far, and I have no money, so please no suggestions about (get a 35mm blah blah). Photo editing tips would be the most helpful.

DSC_0028.jpg

Sadie_Thoughtful.jpg

PC User,

Great shot of the Golden Gate PC_User.... what side of the bridge is that because you look like you are IN the water? I will be there this weekend to see the King Tut exhibit to bad you can't take cameras in. But definitely bringing my 20D and lenses.

So I got my D5000 about a month ago, and I'm looking for some tips on what I can do to start improving these pictures. I only have the lens that it came with so far, and I have no money, so please no suggestions about (get a 35mm blah blah). Photo editing tips would be the most helpful.

You have a tricky lighting situation there and your main subject is a underexposed. You can bump that some in post, but you will start to blow out your highlights (if that concerns you). Typically this type of situation calls for fill flash.

For editing, there are a number of free editors that can do a capable job. The best inexpensive thing I can recommend to improve your work, however, is to hit the local library. There should be several good books that will help you improve your skills so that you need less editing from the get go. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersom is a good place to start, but there are many works that can help you from there.

Juneau, Alaska 18 March 2010 @ Mendenhall Glacier Public Recreation Area

xnrf37.jpg

htcx79.jpg

10nhipy.jpg

11rwrut.jpg

edit: updated links

Last edited:
First 2 2010 the last is Leeds Festival 2009 6:30am jsut before i went for some sleep.

Went to a county park nearby this afternoon.

Eeek - really need to re-size these before posting. I'd suggest no more than 1000px in any dimension. If someone wants to use these for their eyefinity desktops, I'm sure they'll PM you. ;)

You have some good shots here (after I downloaded them and opened in image-viewer so I could see the whole thing). I would pull down the saturation on a couple of them, as you have some really noisy/blown-out blues and greens going on there.

Newbie here. Shot with a Canon Rebel XSi with kit lens 18-55mm. ISO-100, f/10, Exposure 1/200sec. Don't ask why cause I don't know! Touched up saturation in 'shop.

forestfence2.jpg

Not too many flower shots on here, but it beats working:

4466429668_43a9d0fc54_b.jpg

4465652737_6ed94f02b6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Disproportionality FTW. (This is my first L glass after selling my 5D MKII + 24-105L)

I'm actually thinking of picking up a 7D.
I could never leave full frame now that I have seen the difference. Can't hardly go wrong with a 7D though.

^ That is amazing! Did you use a tripod for those shots?

Thanks. No tripod; they were taken around mid-morning on an overcast day. The first one is 28mm @ 1/200s, f/8, ISO 400 and the second is 35mm @ 1/200s, f/11, ISO 200.

PC User,

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it. :)

Great shot of the Golden Gate PC_User.... what side of the bridge is that because you look like you are IN the water? I will be there this weekend to see the King Tut exhibit to bad you can't take cameras in. But definitely bringing my 20D and lenses.

That was very close to the water. The shot was taken from the Marin Headlands, which is just northeast of the Golden Gate Bridge. If you cross the bridge (going north out of SF), you have to take the Alexander St. exit. Basically, it's right next to Fort Baker and the Bay Area Discovery Museum.

OK, newbie here asking a question. So in lower light settings you will increase the ISO or Decrease??

Also, Auric, what kind of camera are you using? Thanks

5D Mk II. Both of those shots were taken with the 24-105 f/4L.
I was thinking about that... I wasn't by any means assuming that the equipment makes the photographer, but is it safe to say that my Rebel XSi won't do quality like this even with this lens? If so, what would you say is a big limiting factor? Crop sensor, lens, etc? I'm just trying to gauge what to expect out of my equipment. Though the pictures here look really good (you can choose the camera and lens that was used).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
5D Mk II. Both of those shots were taken with the 24-105 f/4L.
I was thinking about that... I'm not by any means assuming that the equipment makes the photographer, but is it safe to say that my Rebel XSi won't do quality like this even with this lens? If so, what would you say is a big limiting factor? Crop sensor, lens, etc? I'm just trying to gauge what to expect out of my equipment. Though the pictures here look really good (you can choose the camera and lens that was used).

4464716839_dfaba3f057_b.jpg

My friend suggested calling this one "Somebody lives here" haha.

4466111402_41348b607f_b.jpg

The sun rising between Nuptse and Mt. Everest.

Both shots were taken in Nepal the second one being on the way down from Kala Patthar. We reached the top (18,565ft) at 6:30am and it was -28c...but stunningly beautiful. I've got a 54 picture panorama that my netbook refuses to touch which will have to wait till I get home...

4464716839_dfaba3f057_b.jpg

My friend suggested calling this one "Somebody lives here" haha.

4466111402_41348b607f_b.jpg

The sun rising between Nuptse and Mt. Everest.

Both shots were taken in Nepal the second one being on the way down from Kala Patthar. We reached the top (18,565ft) at 6:30am and it was -28c...but stunningly beautiful. I've got a 54 picture panorama that my netbook refuses to touch which will have to wait till I get home...

Wow, awesome.....a bit of post processing I think you can make the shots even more dramatic.

I was thinking about that... I wasn't by any means assuming that the equipment makes the photographer, but is it safe to say that my Rebel XSi won't do quality like this even with this lens? If so, what would you say is a big limiting factor? Crop sensor, lens, etc? I'm just trying to gauge what to expect out of my equipment. Though the pictures here look really good (you can choose the camera and lens that was used).

That depends on the sort of pictures you're taking, but generally speaking it will. The exceptions would be low light, wide angle and really large prints. I say wide angle because most of the really nice wide angle lenses like the 16-35 f/2.8L simply aren't wide enough on a cropped sensor.

However, I only recommend upgrading once you feel that your gear is the sole cause of missed or sub-par photos, not because you're unhappy with your shots and you're hoping a better camera will fix them. I shot with a XTi for 4 years before I felt certain I needed an upgrade, and when I did I knew exactly why I was upgrading and what features would help improve my photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back