** A Picture I Took - 2010 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was my first "real" session with a camera. I am using a P&S I got for free.

4289320326_2dcc3e156b_o.jpg

4289322688_6b75842be7_o.jpg

Shots from yesterday...

Hmmm...really slow around here. I will take what I can get...for now...:)

2 shots I reworked. They were taken during later summer. You can see I am bored....:)

The local photography club here in Green Bay Wi. got together about 100 photographers 50-60 models in one very large Viking Machine shop in DePere Wi. for four hours of shooting bliss. There was everything from people brand new to modeling and photography to old pros.

Everything I shot was with a single Sigma 530 super in a 25x25 portalite softbox with my trusty Canon 7D as master to control the flash. Nothing done ETTL, all manual. I have just over 180 shots that I kept and just uploaded a hand full to flicker.

Here are some of my fav shots from the day. More can be seen on my flicker HERE

4286213441_7016fc6e78_b.jpg

4286957476_2541773bde_b.jpg

4286212627_1068f95a87_b.jpg

Got this cool statue thing for Christmas (some kind of replica of a DaVinci sketch apparently), and I've been dying to light it up for a few weeks now.

Here it is w/ the ring flash - a little harsh looking, but still workable.
statue-1.jpg

Umbrella'd and Gelled (tweaked white-balance)
statue-2.jpg

Un-Gelled Hard Light on Right
statue-3.jpg

statue-4.jpg

Last edited:
Got two flashes to use off camera the other day and was finally able to try them out tonight! (I had to use one on camera cause my radio trigger system did not get here yet)

I built a lightbox and tried water drops again. I only had a flash lighting the left side of the box but I was bouncing my other one off the ceiling and it seemed to work pretty well.

4291970384_26e0d15852.jpg

4291146853_6934a5e55b.jpg

4291202541_dd1c1223bb.jpg

4291382495_303ccaf5ca_b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
ISO Speed: 800

This is how I've been feeling lately. ISO 800 because it was dark in my office.

Original
4292432052_3b7e6fc08f.jpg

Very clever ben chi. I like the processing.

Here are a few fun with macro shots:

4278088190_590e0ea108_b.jpg

4278090078_377cea4698_b.jpg

4277342617_c1c743d8f4_b.jpg

You should do landscapes more often. :) Nice work.

Nice pics as always Victor. I've been trying to get a decent pic of the same type of woodpecker around here but no luck so far.

killer job on those landscapes. i like the post processing a lot

Wat Prah Singh in Chiang Mai - doing some errands when I turned to notice the beauty behind me so this is just with my P&S (no PP) but it turned out beautifully, although a bit underexposed.

4302736433_e369449f52_b.jpg

Awesome shots everyone.

This thread makes me miss taking photos even more :( Hate being sick for so long.

Awesome shots everyone.

This thread makes me miss taking photos even more :( Hate being sick for so long.

Take pictures of being sick. :p

PP:

I added some vignetting, some contrast and messed with the hue/saturation levels a bit.

Sharpened the image a touch and there you go. I have the settings at the house if you want me to post them. Worked in LR and PS.

Heres one I took a week ago, with a point and shoot and then made it B&W.

road.jpg

Last edited:
That is some incredible depth, Ryan.

And LOL Flecom... perfect timing.

Thank you both! Imagine what it would have looked like with a DSLR hah

Would've been awesome. I like those shots when they're taken down low (closer to the ground), which really gives the perspective of the road stretching out into the distance.

1-2.jpg

21833_1371162398813_1224357602_3113.jpg

Two pictures of my dog Angus. Using a Fujiflim A170. Point and Shoot entry camera.

Nice topic starter picture PC_User. :)

Everyone has awesome pictures in this thread.

Thank you both! Imagine what it would have looked like with a DSLR hah

Point and shoots are actually better than dslrs for obtaining substantial depth of field because the small sensors make that a natural feature. Don't sell your equipment short. It's obviously capable of making nice captures.

Point and shoots are actually better than dslrs for obtaining substantial depth of field because the small sensors make that a natural feature. Don't sell your equipment short. It's obviously capable of making nice captures.

Who told you that nonsense?? :confused: DSLRs are capable of controlling the lens opening (aperture) through a range of f-stops, which is what actually produces the depth of field. Point and shoot cameras cannot do this.

Of course you can control the aperture in a dslr. Most point and shoots can also do this, though you have to go into the menu controls usually. Because of their smaller sensor sizes, however, the equivalent aperture size on a P&S will result in much greater depth of field. For this reason, point and shoots can be quite handy when you want more depth of field or for close-ups where the smaller depth of field of dslrs (at equivalent apertures) can be tricky.

For an authoritative source, I give you the internet. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field or http://www.aguntherphotography.com/tutorials/depth-of-field-hyperfocal-distance.html

:D Just had a cool idea along those lines... I wonder if you can get a pin-hole aperture attachment to mount behind a dslr lens for some classic F/64 action. And/or what's the smallest aperture you can get on a production lens? Theoretically, with the right lens, you can get really any depth of field you want.

Also, on wide lenses like you'd want for landscapes, the infinity focus range is only a few inches in front of the camera, so this starts to become a moot point. As long as there's nothing within 12 inches or so from the front of the camera, everything in the scene will be in focus.

Speaking of which, sadly, I think I'm about to be a copycat and post more similar landscapes, 'cause that's all I've been able to shoot lately. Went hiking this past weekend in the mountains and got a couple decent shots of trees and fog... will probably be able to post later tonight. Be sure not to confuse the fact that I had infinite focus with the fact that visibility was only about 30 feet due to fog. They are not related. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back