** A Picture I Took - 2010 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shots but you've got some serious distortion. What kind of setup were you using?

To rival Victor's wildlife :p

Is this bird anything special?

1020003cd2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my first attempt at the large-scale splash photos as mentioned above was a miserable failure. :p But I did learn a few very interesting things: I learned my bathroom and my cutting-boards are both way too small.

Trying to cram light-stands and camera rig into a space that small without getting anything wet in the process is a complete headache to say the least. I'm still trying to figure out how to make better use of the space and have enough room to work in there. The cutting boards I wanted to use weren't large enough to function as backgrounds like I wanted, so as a result, I had to zoom in too much and compositions were way off.

I also learned that water being propelled by a shower head still has motion-blur even when only exposed by a 1/16th power flash. :eek: I had no idea shower water moved at such a high velocity, or that there was anything that still blurred at such a short exposure time. Not sure what could have gone wrong in my few shots that were blurred, but I think I ruled out the shower head as a means of causing splashes.

To give myself a broader working stage and help tone down some bouncing light issues I was having, I picked up some black and white plastic tarps from home depot today, so hopefully I can make another go at this and get results a little closer to what I was envisioning.

Best results I got from last night's shoot were from just dropping fruit into the water and leaving the shower-head alone. :) This is the only one that was nearly decent looking. Hopefully better shots will follow as I continue to improve my technique...

Congrats!

Maybe you can get some led puck lights like these http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Lite-LPL...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263069712&sr=8-1 .
Just stick them to the walls around the glass or stick them to some cardboard and put a little arm on the back of the cardboard so you could make a little stand. If you get about 6 of them they should provide some damn good light in a small area. It should at least cut your lighting rig in half in this kind of setup. Oh and you can make little lighting gels for them and everything.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is close....:) Can't ID it. If the shot has more color and maybe.

Now I gotta ask, is there any way to salvage this pic? It was a very, very overcast day and the kind of dull palette the picture displays is basically what I was seeing at the time.

Any PP tips?

Now I gotta ask, is there any way to salvage this pic? It was a very, very overcast day and the kind of dull palette the picture displays is basically what I was seeing at the time.

Any PP tips?

Try black and white??? Other than that, I doubt you can make this shot to look good.

Any PP tips?

Using Lightoom? Crank up the fill light and clarity then try some spot sharpening. I agree that some tweaking of saturation might help; see what it looks like with brighter saturation, or maybe just take it to B&W. The main problem with this shot is the lighting - the majority of the bird's detail is in shadow due to back-lighting. I like the bokeh in this shot btw.

Maybe you can get some led puck lights like these http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Lite-LPL...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263069712&sr=8-1 .
Just stick them to the walls around the glass or stick them to some cardboard and put a little arm on the back of the cardboard so you could make a little stand. If you get about 6 of them they should provide some damn good light in a small area. It should at least cut your lighting rig in half in this kind of setup. Oh and you can make little lighting gels for them and everything.

haha - that's a fun idea! Will have to try this, but I have a feeling using non-strobe lights will mean I can't freeze the motion like I need to - will have to crank up the shutter speed to its max 1/4000s which will probably mean there's no way I could have enough LED's to brighten it back up. I think I actually worked out how to set my light-stands up acceptably for now; my main problem atm is background materials. I tried a sheet of black plastic (garbage-bag-material tarp thing), but that ended up being too glossy, and I was getting weird reflections off of it. My next attempt will be with some fabric backgrounds - not waterproof, but they probably won't be ruined by getting wet, so maybe that will work better. Will keep ya posted as the project unfolds... :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I converted half of my computer room into a home studio.... I should be getting more lights in soon

I have about 14ft between the backdrop and my computer area.

Me playing around

Last edited:
I should of, but I was sick and just woke up..... So it doesn't really matter...

Your first one was better, the second, your arms are to spread apart, so it dont look real, and they only use 1 hand to hold the sign ;) And no, I cant answer how I know all the good stuff about prison profile shots!

Im kiddin bro, good pix, nice color shading on the second pic!

Thanks freaky, I did not know you use only one hand.... Good stuff to know...

Self Portrait
4272886824_b5668f13e5_b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
ISO Speed: 200

4274914087_5d3b97f2d9_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Speed: 400

4276990430_ab4552d83b_b.jpg

4252626593_7bec63baa2_b.jpg

this one reminds me of the Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama

4276200519_cfe99653ae_b.jpg

But I figure a happy picture should balance that out. First two with my new XSi last with my trusty SD1000

Taking a quick break from film shooting. Some aircraft shots:
Lufthansa A330:
4281719908_05401b620b_o.jpg

4280976519_713fb092ef_b.jpg

Aer Lingus A330 hitting the tarmac:
4281720078_b6d5e644ff_b.jpg

Weirdest arrival at a civilian airport: An Air Force C-17, which was delivering Obama's limos for his visit to Boston to support Martha Coakley according to another photographer I met at the airport.
4281720230_1dd4501573_b.jpg

Here's his shot of the same plane:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=10517115

4283341743_8edf39841c_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Flash: No Flash

That sucks! :( Man, I hate cats. :p Hopefully won't be too hard to fix though. Those light boxes are so much fun to use.

[Salt and Pepper Grinders]

Cool shot! Makes me want to eat something w/ lots of black pepper. :D Is the 1.4 new? Gotta love that nice smooth bubbly bokeh.

edit - just realized what that is the in the background - please tell me you don't eat salt and pepper on your bananas. :p

That sucks! :( Man, I hate cats. :p Hopefully won't be too hard to fix though. Those light boxes are so much fun to use.

Cool shot! Makes me want to eat something w/ lots of black pepper. :D Is the 1.4 new? Gotta love that nice smooth bubbly bokeh.

edit - just realized what that is the in the background - please tell me you don't eat salt and pepper on your bananas. :p

Hhahaha, no I don't eat pepper with my bananas. It was just on my mom's counter, so I took a photo.

the 1.4 is over a year now I think.

4285310894_141df0b7df_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)

GRRR!!

hmm... come to think of it, black pepper on bananas might be awesome! (just not the salt) I'ma have to try this sometime. :D

My Son
4284643197_9f130333be_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/2.8

I think there is around a hundred Chinese soldiers and workers in this shot. Original is around 5K x 5K, easier to see.
2285417131_f484c4d69a_o.jpg

2411103709_522f01dd05.jpg

2262161919_89dc4cafff.jpg

2389119011_9e7ecdd814_b.jpg

2407342113_dfc6376406.jpg

2219288617_b0bdbd1465.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back