** A Picture I Took - 2009 **

^^ Looks good! Off to a great start.

*jealous of camera that syncs at 1/250 :) - mine would have had shadow-stripes at this speed.

What is that device in last pic? Night-vision goggles?

Thanks! I did notice the shadow stripes on quite a few shots (just barely visible at the bottom of the 3rd pic, luckily it blends in with the shadow so its alright.). I thought I was just holding the flash too close to the subject though. I saw it at 1/200sec sometimes as well. Then I'd take the same shot again and it would work fine. :confused:

Yep, those are NVGs that came with the Prestige Edition of Modern Warfare 2. I bought the XBOX 360 version just for the goggles, then sold the xbox game and bought the PC version for myself :p

botw said:
Why the horrendously small apertures? DOF doesn't seem to be a concern in those shots and you are definitely losing detail to refraction well before f32 or 22.

If I opened up the aperture any more, or used an ISO higher than 100 or 200, the flash would completely wash out the image as it was only ~8-10 inches away from the subject. I didn't know how low to set the power & zoom on the flash, I had it down to 1/8 at one point. Didn't check to see how low the power got.

I didn't realize that closing the aperture so much adversely affected the image, I'll have to google it!

It would help if I used the right term. It's diffraction. Here's a link for an explanation: http://www.secondpicture.com/blog/diffraction_with_small_apertures.html

It sounds like what you need to do is to diffuse your flash more than anything. It's why many people use light tents for this type of small-object photography. Since you are going off camera, get a stand for your flash (the 430 Ex comes with a small one) and you can place it farther away and still get more than adequate light.

Playing with off-camera flash for the first time, just got a cheap wireless transmitter for my 430EX II in the mail! :D

What transmitter did you get? Does it auto adjust over ETTL? If your that close you should be able to speed up that shutter?

I have the 430ex II with this diffuser. Works wonderfully and is very cheap.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It sounds like what you need to do is to diffuse your flash more than anything. It's why many people use light tents for this type of small-object photography. Since you are going off camera, get a stand for your flash (the 430 Ex comes with a small one) and you can place it farther away and still get more than adequate light.

Good point! Easy strobist tip: when shooting small objects on a table-top like this, take a sheet of thin white copy paper, fold and stand it up between flash and object = instant soft-box! Looks amazing on anything smaller than a sheet of copy-paper. ;)

What transmitter did you get? Does it auto adjust over ETTL? If your that close you should be able to speed up that shutter?

I have the 430exII + StoFen combo too, and use the CTR-301p flash triggers. I love this set up. The image below was a lamp camera right and the above flash setup camera left. Very versatile once you start playing with gels, too.

606586783_Nrg3U-X2.jpg

I just got this one because it was uber cheap and I was ordering some batteries for my battery grip anyway: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13089. I figure if I use this enough I might be able to justify buying a pocketwizard or the canon transmitter down the road. I'll definitely have to look into getting a diffuser for my flash soon though!

I'm leaving for Thailand and Cambodia in ~24hrs, so I'm sure I'll have more shots to share in a few days. I guess I'll find out how long I can get away with using my wife as an autonomous flash stand! :D

One of my technicians recently had a cornea transplant and asked me to take a picture of the result so he could see what they did. Fascinating to be sure!

file.php

Wow.... Looks like someone let their kid play in photo shop for a few moments instead of detailed stitches. Nice shot.

and use your macro lens, so you can get a close up of stuff dropping on you.

Awesome shot, Shagnar!

The noise is extremely distracting, though... think I would have just made it black and white if nothing else would get rid of that. At the very least desaturate all the bight pink and green spots.

Personally I like the noise on Shagnar's shot-adds to the grittiness of the city in my opinion.

More from the above family shoot...working with dogs, especially a small A.D.D. one, is tough!

732008939_AShXk-XL-1.jpg

732008004_3Lq8P-XL-1.jpg

732035240_RFUS2-X2-1.jpg

732032832_AAAyN-XL-1.jpg

732038831_CSbXZ-X2-2.jpg

Wedding we did yesterday. I can't believe we're going to be posting 2010 photos soon. Keep up the great work guys! Johnny, great set.
4161602733_ed8cde2901_b.jpg

Back