A pcie 3.0 M2 drive should work in a 4.0 slot right?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
New build using a Asrock H570M Pro4 LGA 1200 and Intel 10700K. Board won't see Inland Premium 1TB m2 ssd in the 4.0 slot, only in the 3.0 slot. I know the 10700K can't do 4.0, but I figured it could use the 4.0 slot as 3.0. Am I wrong or is there something wrong with the board?

yes. Works fine, or should...?

edit: although I'm NOT familiar at all with the H570 chipset, so maybe there's a limitation there... or some confusion.

It should, may have to manually set to pcie3.0? You're sure it's fully inserted and straight?

Check the mb manual, it might say whether the 4.0 slot works with your cpu.

It's not a question of speed, your CPU is missing that PCIe port. So it can't possibly work.

It's not a question of speed, your CPU is missing that PCIe port. So it can't possibly work.
Should be able to support multiple PCIE3 M2 cards - but again, I don't know that chipset at all...

Looking at the Asrock support page:

- 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 18), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
- 1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (Only supported with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors) **
- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled.

**Supports Intel® Optane™ Technology
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

It should work in Gen3x4 mode. Also note that it supports Optane, make sure that it's not trying to detect it as an Optane drive. I've only had to deal with an Optane cache drive once but I do know that it needs to be set.

Looking at the Asrock support page:

- 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 18), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
- 1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (Only supported with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors) **
- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**

*If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled.

**Supports Intel® Optane™ Technology
Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

It should work in Gen3x4 mode. Also note that it supports Optane, make sure that it's not trying to detect it as an Optane drive. I've only had to deal with an Optane cache drive once but I do know that it needs to be set.

Hmm, it's the Hyper socket that isn't working and that excerpt might mean that that socket will only work with an 11th gen Intel cpu.

Hmm, it's the Hyper socket that isn't working and that excerpt might mean that that socket will only work with an 11th gen Intel cpu.
Nah, that's how they're all designated. 'up to gen4x4'

Does it detect the presence of the SSD in the BIOS?

A pcie 3.0 M2 drive should work in a 4.0 slot right?

I had no issue using a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive (Samsung 860 NVMe 1TB) on an AMD X570 board that supports PCIe 4.0.

It appears that Luke M is correct (although worded a bit oddly). It seems you've run out of PCIE lanes for that m.2 slot.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

1614806182618.png

If you were to reduce the amount of lanes of the GPU slot down from x16, see if it detects it then.

The Gen 4 M.2 slot on your board is wired directly to the CPU and not the chipset. The 11th gen CPUs have 20 PCIe lanes, while 10th gen CPUs have only 16 PCIe lanes. So, the slot is not connected to your 10th gen CPU at all. Higher end motherboards may have a PCIe switch chip to share 16 lanes as 8 + 4 + 4. This board probably shares 20 lanes only as 8 + 8 + 4, meaning the last 4 lanes won't work on a 16 lane CPU.

The same issue exists when using a 9900X (44 lanes) vs 10900X (48 lanes) on a 2nd gen X299 board. The last 4 lanes from one of the slots is not wired up to the 9900X.

Last edited:
Like a few others have said, I believe that the last 4 lanes on 11th gen are used for that socket. So if you are not using an 11th gen, it's not going to work.

Well, I'd think that you could use bifurcation to at least make it 2x8 to get it to function.

Well, after I had a chance to review an Asus offering, it seems to be stated more properly in their description. Asrock's description is kind of vague, supported versus disabled is a pretty big difference.

1614820077710.png

Well, after I had a chance to review an Asus offering, it seems to be stated more properly in their description. Asrock's description is kind of vague, supported versus disabled is a pretty big difference.

View attachment 335376
They (asrock) kinda say it implicitly (if they say it's supported with 11th gen, you might assume it's not supported for earlier gens). Definitely could've been more explicit there.

They (asrock) kinda say it implicitly (if they say it's supported with 11th gen, you might assume it's not supported for earlier gens). Definitely could've been more explicit there.
Right, that's what I mean, I read it and assumed it was the gen4 was what it was referring to. Not that motherboard literature has been historically accurate...

Gorilla,

The problem is that with your i7-10700K, that PCIe 4.0 m.2 slot is never connected at all to begin with. You will need an 11th-Gen CPU (not yet widely available) just to even use that slot at all.

Asrock updated their pages with language which is more clear about this.

To use 2 PCI-E NVME drives on a 5 series chipset with a 10 series CPU, you will need to get a board which has 3 M2 slots.

Back