A PC Gamer's Worst Nightmare

So is your nightmare supposed to be if you are forced to play using that lap keyboard and mouse with low frame rate? I personally think one of those is bad enough, both of those is just punishment.

13183549_1757367611175677_1058791624_n.jpg

They could have upped the nightmare factor by forcing him to play doom with a controller.

Actually not the worst game to play with a gamepad. I've beaten it at a desk with M/KB and on a couch with a gamepad, both experiences were fun, but no way I would be able to play the same difficulty across both.

Pfffttt. yeah right.. well maybe some people.

When I go to the theater.. which most all movies play at ~24fps, if I even slightly concentrate I can see each separate frame. It is like watching a fast slideshow.

Have to relax and let my brain fill in the images between frames or else it just drives me crazy.

Around 55-58 fps is about the minimum for me where it seems pretty fluid.

Really nice at a steady 60fps, or if vsync is off, ~80 fps is really, really nice.

Back when using CRTs, 60Hz was a flickery mess. 75+Hz was the only thing I could stand.

When I go to the theater.. which most all movies play at ~24fps, if I even slightly concentrate I can see each separate frame. It is like watching a fast slideshow.

Have to relax and let my brain fill in the images between frames or else it just drives me crazy.

Really nice at a steady 60fps, or if vsync is off, ~80 fps is really, really nice.

Back when using CRTs, 60Hz was a flickery mess. 75+Hz was the only thing I could stand.

I knew somebody else like that. He was never able to watch TV or movies since he said it was like watching a slideshow and gave him a horrible headache. No matter what he tried he was never able go watch them. Had the same issues with games and needed a high framerate

I wouldn't call it a slide show but panning is pretty terrible at the theater.

I got in a fight with a friend of mine a few years ago. He was complaining about the 48 FPS in the hobbit because it he was able to see the makeup on some of the characters.

I knew somebody else like that. He was never able to watch TV or movies since he said it was like watching a slideshow and gave him a horrible headache. No matter what he tried he was never able go watch them. Had the same issues with games and needed a high framerate

I get headaches bad at the theater, the 48fps stuff seems to be a bit better though. I can't stand so much motion blur and low framerate even if it is steady.

I remember when we did whole office upgrades of kit back in the late 90's early 00's I could check a whole floors monitor settings by standing on the edge of the floor and vibrating my tongue against the roof of my mouth very fast. Any screen running less than 70Hz stood out like a sore thumb. Used to get some funny looks but saved a bunch of time.

I wouldn't call it a slide show but panning is pretty terrible at the theater.

I got in a fight with a friend of mine a few years ago. He was complaining about the 48 FPS in the hobbit because it he was able to see the makeup on some of the characters.

Ahhh the Hobbit movies were just sloppily put together. Jackson really didn't put much planning into the whole thing and just threw most of it together.

He didn't really want to do it.

I remember when we did whole office upgrades of kit back in the late 90's early 00's I could check a whole floors monitor settings by standing on the edge of the floor and vibrating my tongue against the roof of my mouth very fast. Any screen running less than 70Hz stood out like a sore thumb. Used to get some funny looks but saved a bunch of time.

How did you even figure that out in the first place?

With a CRT I could stand no less than 100 Hz, preferably 120 Hz.
LCD 75 Hz is my floor for comfort, although 60 Hz doesn't make me want to jump out a window like 60 on a CRT did.

My wife used to call me crazy because I can see the rainbows in DLP TVs. Out of every one that would come over, no one else could see it. However, people seeing separate frames at the theater...:p

Reactions: Ruoh
like this
The whole problem with WASD, see, he had to look down to make sure his fingers were placed properly. When I use to use the arrow keys, I never had that problem.

My wife used to call me crazy because I can see the rainbows in DLP TVs. Out of every one that would come over, no one else could see it. However, people seeing separate frames at the theater...:p

Do you have astigmatism?

I have that problem in theaters. Some movies are like watching one of those paper flipbooks. Add in motion blur and jerky cam and most movies just aren't worth the trouble. The newer IMAX and 48 fps betters are a bit better, but I still wait for most movies to show up at home. (Shaky cam is stil a problem even on an LCD, but at least it doesn't look like someone's charcoal scribbles on a piece of paper.)

60 hz on a CRT is instant migraine time, and I could never figure out how people survived with that strobe light going off in their cubicles all day long. Moving to crystals and plasmas was a lifesaver for me.

Back