A Pair of Lenovo G580's

RudyK

n00b
Have two of them......model number on one is 10150 and the other 10157, the Hard drive mount is SLIGHTLY different.. One computer is damaged in the hinge area from grandson pushing on the floor....:(. Of course it is the wifes. The other I bought basicall as a replacement as she like THAT laptop. Tried to just swap HDD's and boot....went to a boot menu that I couldn't get past and I quit doing PC repair back in the days of socket 478 and XP since I closed my engine shop and opend Macon Armory......... I have reinstalled HDD back in original computers and both work fine. OS is Windows 10.
Help an old guy out....what am I doing wrong?
Rudy

Not buying the wife a Chromebook.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The boot sectors and drive configurations (achi vs ide) have made what you're trying to do a bit more tricky these days.

First thing I'd check is the bios settings in both the source and destination computers. Make sure they are nearly identical.

Next, if you haven't backed up the data on her system already, I'd do that. My recommendation would be to use a clonezilla live cd to make an exact image of her entire drive.

After you have the image, check to make sure the drive is fitting correctly since the mount is different (how is it different) and make sure it is showing up in the bios.

Then attempt to boot it, and if it doesn't, note any error messages and let's go from there. (y)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The boot sectors and drive configurations (achi vs ide) have made what you're trying to do a bit more tricky these days.

First thing I'd check is the bios settings in both the source and destination computers. Make sure they are nearly identical.

Next, if you haven't backed up the data on her system already, I'd do that. My recommendation would be to use a clonezilla live cd to make an exact image of her entire drive.

After you have the image, check to make sure the drive is fitting correctly since the mount is different (how is it different) and make sure it is showing up in the bios.

Then attempt to boot it, and if it doesn't, note any error messages and let's go from there. (y)

It kind of seemed like he just wanted to pop the drive from one laptop into the other and for it to work.

You'll need to back up her data, format the new drive and copy over the important stuff.

I believe that's what I'm gathering anyways.

But seriously. You should buy your wife a Chromebook RudyK.

Best.

Decision.

Ever.

It kind of seemed like he just wanted to pop the drive from one laptop into the other and for it to work.
If it's even a similar model, this generally works pretty well. It's gotta be something fairly simple that's wrong.

Back