A new standalone VR headset by Somnium and XTAL. Open source.

MaZa

2[H]4U
A potential Quest 2 killer. At least for the enthusiast and sim-market, can't really beat the 300-400 price tag of Quest 2 for the mass market.
Any way, the specs are juicy, 2880p per eye Micro-OLED, 90hz and possibly 120hz (probably imply that you need to turn resolution down?) at least 115 horizontal FOV, lossless PCVR when wired (Displayport?) and compressed streamed wireless, standalone tracking (yay!) and most of all Open Source.

No idea who Somnium is but VRgineers/XTAL is a known name in business and pilot training VR space. Hopefully this is their first attempt at consumer VR?

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/12/sta...urce-define-somnium-spaces-first-vr-headset/?

No idea about the price, probably expensive a'la Varjo Aero, but the shipping is estimated to start at Q4 2022.

A potential Quest 2 killer. At least for the enthusiast and sim-market, can't really beat the 300-400 price tag of Quest 2 for the mass market.
Any way, the specs are juicy, 2880p per eye Micro-OLED, 90hz and possibly 120hz (probably imply that you need to turn resolution down?) at least 115 horizontal FOV, lossless PCVR when wired (Displayport?) and compressed streamed wireless, standalone tracking (yay!) and most of all Open Source.

No idea who Somnium is but VRgineers/XTAL is a known name in business and pilot training VR space. Hopefully this is their first attempt at consumer VR?

https://www.vrfocus.com/2021/12/sta...urce-define-somnium-spaces-first-vr-headset/?

No idea about the price, probably expensive a'la Varjo Aero, but the shipping is estimated to start at Q4 2022.

Coming in Q4 2022?? Which really means Q4 2023.

How would it be a Quest 2 killer? The Quest 2 will be out over two years by then(if it actually is released in Q4 2022). If it isn't better than the Quest 2, then it's a complete waste of time.

I am just a bit cynical of all these new headsets been announced but never appearing.

Coming in Q4 2022?? Which really means Q4 2023.

How would it be a Quest 2 killer? The Quest 2 will be out over two years by then(if it actually is released in Q4 2022). If it isn't better than the Quest 2, then it's a complete waste of time.

I am just a bit cynical of all these new headsets been announced but never appearing.

For the enthusiast gamers who are interested in high end inside-out tracked headset with stand-alone capabilities. So far there is only Quest 2. Vive Focus 3 was severely lacking thanks to piss poor lenses but also because it was for corporates, not for gamers. If we give out the standalone feature then we get Reverb G2 to the list, good headset for simmers but it has its WMR related problems. Oculus/Meta/FB is ruling everything at the moment. The idea of open source is also VERY appealing.

That said, we do know that Meta is also brewing a new headset but as far as we know from the leaks it is going to be expensive with all the facial tracking features etc... Quest 2 will most likely be sticking around for a while longer, long into the next year. But still I have to move the goalpost a bit, it is not Quest 2 this will be competing with but the upcoming Meta headset, most likely. Calling this a Quest 2 killer even for the enthusiasts is stretching a bit. I think I miss spoke in my excitement without thinking it through. 🤔

It says LCD in your link. It basically sounds like an open source quest 2 which is cool I guess. But it doesn't look like an upgrade. Oh I misread the resolution 2880 per eye is a pretty good upgrade.

Last edited:
It says LCD in your link. It basically sounds like an open source quest 2 which is cool I guess. But it doesn't look like an upgrade. Oh I misread the resolution 2880 per eye is a pretty good upgrade.

The presentation image mentions both, LCD and the possibility of Micro OLED. Similar to Varjo perhaps? But I fixed the post anyway.

Back