A new iron for Christmas

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Originally posted by xonik
I am looking at a Hakko 936-12 for $84.95 plus shipping (which appears to be free). It is the ESD safe version and includes the 599B tip cleaner. I haven't found any better deals but I'll post here if I do. Until then,

http://www.kiesub.com/hakko936.htm

I ordered mine from them as well. Ordered through the phone - the guy I talked to was incredibly nice. They shipped it immediately. They gave me free 3-day UPS shipping. I'm expecting it in a couple of hours!

Originally posted by NleahciM
I ordered mine from them as well. Ordered through the phone - the guy I talked to was incredibly nice. They shipped it immediately. They gave me free 3-day UPS shipping. I'm expecting it in a couple of hours!

that looks like a pretty good deal... i might have to get one in a few months.

would get one now if my car insurance hadn't just raised 100$ for 6 months for no apparent reason... (havn't had any accidents or anything... grr)

So I got mine yesterday. I must say it's awesome. Heat up time was under 10 seconds. Iron is nice and lightweight - so it's very easy to use. For some reason they didn't send me the extra tip I ordered (nor did they bill me for it) so I just used the standard tip that was included. The first job I did with it was soldering to some surface mount parts on a motherboard (as shown here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23491) and it went perfectly smoothly. So far - I must say that I am 100% satisfied with it.

I use a Hakko 936 ESD iron here. I absolutely love it...

My only complaint about the iron is that you can't get a mini-wave tip for it, an essential for soldering large SMT stuff.. so I ended up modifying a large chisel tip with a dremel to create one.

Originally posted by NleahciM
I always just use a fan next to a window... But to each his own I guess.

I live in a tiny apartment with no room for anything. The last time I soldered anything I used my toolbox as a work area and was on my knees on my terrace while in 30deg. F temp outside. So heh, I need something to manage fumes better than that ;)

Back