A New Era Begins at Firaxis Games

erek

[H]F Junkie
Hmm, wonder what's all going?

""I'm embarking on a new chapter; however, I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to fulfill my dreams at Firaxis Games," said Solomon. "I'm thankful to everyone who enjoyed XCOM and Marvel's Midnight Suns, and to my development and publishing partners who helped bring those games to life."

"Jake revolutionized tactical turn-based games and continually raised the bar for storytelling in the strategy genre," added Ismailer. "We have deep appreciation for his work and can't wait to see what he does next."

Firaxis Games is a 2K studio. 2K is a wholly owned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc."

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/304912/a-new-era-begins-at-firaxis-games

Firaxis has had a sudden spiral into ultra-wokeness in 2020 with XCOM Chimera Squad, and Midnight Suns has very sjw writing as well, albeit they toned down the wokeness compared to Chimera Squad.

The veterans leaving while the new outside hire COO gets promoted to studio head? Seems like no coincidence. I just lost all hope for Firaxis and XCOM3 if they even going to make that.

Firaxis has had a sudden spiral into ultra-wokeness in 2020 with XCOM Chimera Squad, and Midnight Suns has very sjw writing as well, albeit they toned down the wokeness compared to Chimera Squad.

The veterans leaving while the new outside hire COO gets promoted to studio head? Seems like no coincidence. I just lost all hope for Firaxis and XCOM3 if they even going to make that.
Xcom 3 will be hot garbage without Solomon. He did his best to channel the essence of Xcom into the games. Wonder if he will end up working with Julian Gollop, that would be kind of cool.

Chimera Squad was a fast money grab that was woke ish. It was a bit too "inclusive" for me with the earth incorporating all the aliens into "humanity". I didn't touch anything after that from them.

Just hoping the next Civ is better then the last one. I still much prefer 5 over 6.
I definitely agree, but I will say Civ 6 has come a long way but still not better than 5.

This might either be a good thing or bad. It is hard to tell since games evolved so much. Games we like might be different than the younger generations.

I wouldn't be surprised if these departures were pushed by Take-Two after the failure of Midnight Suns. I don't really have strong feelings on them leaving one way or the other. They were both at the helm with Chimera Squad and Midnight Suns. Getting some different people in charge might not be a bad thing. Hopefully their writing team gets a shakeup next.

Chimera Squad was a fast money grab that was woke ish. It was a bit too "inclusive" for me with the earth incorporating all the aliens into "humanity". I didn't touch anything after that from them.

I liked the idea of alien squad members. Done in a full XCOM game they could give a really interesting twist for combat, especially if they were rare units and needed very special and hard missions to recruit them. Chimera Squad's limited depth and character options really didn't give the concept enough breathing room, but it wasn't a bad idea on it's own.

Well, the only saving grace would be if it is already in development and the main gameplay loop is set in stone by now.
You just made me happy. I didn't know it was even in development. I hope it's nothing like Chimera Squad.

I wouldn't be surprised if these departures were pushed by Take-Two after the failure of Midnight Suns. I don't really have strong feelings on them leaving one way or the other. They were both at the helm with Chimera Squad and Midnight Suns. Getting some different people in charge might not be a bad thing. Hopefully their writing team gets a shakeup next.

I liked the idea of alien squad members. Done in a full XCOM game they could give a really interesting twist for combat, especially if they were rare units and needed very special and hard missions to recruit them. Chimera Squad's limited depth and character options really didn't give the concept enough breathing room, but it wasn't a bad idea on it's own.
That is a well worded and thoughtful interpretation of the game setting. I don't disagree, if they had made the recruitment of the aliens hard and provide a certain benefit that would have been fine. I didn't like how the aliens mannerisms seemed to be no different than their human counterparts. It seemed a bit too corny for me. Some of the aspects of the game were ok. I really hope that Xcom 3 doesn't turn into a fast resolution hallway / hideout shooter like Chimera squad seemed to be. Some fast missions, no problem. But I really enjoyed the tension and feeling that maps were expansive and dangerous throughout the maps. Granted I generally play on a modded to the Gills version of Xcom that is lethal and has more enemy pods with more variation and maximum threat. I'm hoping that modding is baked into Xcom 3 too!

Reactions: erek
like this
Midnight Suns isn't a bad game, but it was really poorly marketed. They tried to sell it with the on paper least marketable aspects. The gameplay of midnight suns is surprisingly addictive and complex despite seeming very basic on the surface. They should've tried to market the game with the story and RPG elements which were not even mentioned in marketing. The biggest issue is that the game looks like XCOM, so everyone expected XCOM with Marvel characters, and then they revealed that it doesn't play like xcom at all. They probably committed every marketing mistake imaginable. Marketing the game as being card based when card collector games have a terrible reputation among single player gamers was probably their biggest mistake.

I remember when xcom was going to be a fps and I was excited. Then they caved to the internet and it was no longer a fps and I was no longer excited.

Maybe with them splitting up the new studio won't be scared to take chances?

I remember when xcom was going to be a fps and I was excited. Then they caved to the internet and it was no longer a fps and I was no longer excited.

Maybe with them splitting up the new studio won't be scared to take chances?
There was a XCOM TPS and it failed.

Just hoping the next Civ is better then the last one. I still much prefer 5 over 6.

Respectfully disagree. I find 6 has a lot more to offer, only weakness being AI. 5 was too easy to cheese to a culture victory I found, and building more cities made you take a culture hit for no good reason, which discouraged expansion.

They just need to do a generic fantasy game with spells and whatnot. Just deleted Chimera Squad it's a ok game but the UI is pretty clunky and confusing at the base.
The gameplay is good though when you finally fire up a mission.

I grabbed civ 5 or 6 on steam sale for nothing. I hate it. Maybe I got old, but civ 2 is still the most straight forward to play, then civ 4.
In the same boat here, bought 5, atrocious to the degree that I did not even want to buy expansions on maximum sale, bought 6 with all expansions - still play 4 - with mods this is the pinnacle of the series for me to date. 2 is also a great fun game which admittedly I did not start in years, but may give it another go once I get bored with 4 again.

Back