A new counter-strike?

Valve better fix all the registry bs and server reg issues if they make CS 2. Putting an AK round through a CTs head and then somehow magically missing (despite the cursor being dead on) and having your teammates tell you that you were aiming to the left/right of his head will piss you off eventually.

google ex_interp..

google ex_interp..

Yea but if server doesnt enforce it and you're in a scrim with some aholes dealing with it is not always pleasant.

Dont know what Valve was thinking about giving individual players the ability to $!@ around with registry in a game that has a huge following in competitive online fps crowd.

I played CS:S again today and I have to say, It's just not that much fun anymore. ultra-inaccurate weapons and taking 3+ shots to kill someone who doesn't even have body armor just isn't my cup of tea.

Lag compensation system :) sucks at times but can be helpful at others.

lol if you think CS:S is hard then try 1.6. I'm guessing you're a CoD4 fan who likes laser tag guns that kill in 1 click with perfect accuracy across the map. No recoil control, no strategic maps, no team effort.

I'm with this guy.

I used to be into CoD4, and thought it was the best game ever...
.. but i wanted an older game. When weapons were more realistic, hence why i picked up CS:S only about 3 weeks ago.

LONG LIVE CS:S!

I played CS from 7.1 Beta or earlier but 7.1 was my favorite of all time. Screw 1.0+ In all of my years of gaming on 2 games have held my intrest longer than a month: WoW and CS.

I no longer play either, although I would definately play CS or CS Source every now and then if I felt nostalgic :)

Yea but if server doesnt enforce it and you're in a scrim with some aholes dealing with it is not always pleasant.

Dont know what Valve was thinking about giving individual players the ability to $!@ around with registry in a game that has a huge following in competitive online fps crowd.

well, everyone who plays "competitively" uses ex_interp 0.01, which doesn't end up you shooting a blank where someone passed and still killing them, or shooting on them and missing. They put the command in the game because the different quality or servers and connections. If you're playing at a LAN obviously u should use 0.01, but when you're pubbing with many players then you'll see people skipping around. It's the same thing with many other games, like TF2. cl_interp, cl_lagcompensation, etc. You just don't notice because they don't require as precise of aiming.

Mihn Le doesnt work for Valve anymore (the creator of CS). It doesn't make economical sense as to why they wouldn't cash in on another Counterstrike, but at the same time it doesnt suprise me if they scrap the idea altogether along with Mihn Le who created the whole thing.

I'm with this guy.

I used to be into CoD4, and thought it was the best game ever...
.. but i wanted an older game. When weapons were more realistic, hence why i picked up CS:S only about 3 weeks ago.

LONG LIVE CS:S!

Like the Glock, hahaha, yeah right.

Theres loads of tweaks for the source netcode, most of the lag compensation only feels unfair like you shoot someones head they dont die but you do, but the maths behind the code is goingback in time and correctly compensating for the difference in lag and working out who really died first, your client is then updated a short time later, essentially you're allowed to live for a few fractions of a second longer than you should be and your actions for those fractions of a second when you should be dead, are simply ignored.

Lots of people complain about these commands but the bottom line is that they make the experience better for higher pinging players and people with erratic pings, it just feels unfair when you're shot running into cover, its not actually unfair it just appears that way.

I just wikipedia Mihn Le to see what he was doing now and it says "Le left Valve to work on a project of his own. The project which he is working on is currently unknown." Link I wonder what he could be working on :D I hope it is another good competitive game that could bring new life to the scene.

shit, you bunch of newbs..... I've been at CS since beta 3 (and in no way is that depressing....)

I think it was the best when the guns stayed on the ground in between rounds and the colt had a scope on it...... So YMMV

shit, you bunch of newbs..... I've been at CS since beta 3 (and in no way is that depressing....)

I think it was the best when the guns stayed on the ground in between rounds and the colt had a scope on it...... So YMMV

I remember a beta version where the MP5 was the most used weapon... CS_Mansion was the most popular map besides De_Dust.. Hostage maps reigned supreme and VIP mode was the most anticipated feature coming out...

The 1.6 beta shield bug was classic... Buy an shield, and nade. pull the pin, hold*, buy an awp... BOOM instant invisible shield while you awp! :)

A new counter Strike is not necessary for the moment! This game is still the best! When the popularity will decrease they will create another one for sure!:cool:

I actually think a new version would be a welcome change... I got bored after playing for 5 years and people still clinging to the same maps and using the same methods 90% of the time.
There have a been a few technological advances which I'm sure adept coders like Valve's could take advantage of, which could further improve game play, also NEW MAPS would be great (while killing off the old ones for modders to re-invent).
I don't think it should be rushed though, and I'll take it when they can get it out.
Valve are one of the few companies I still firmly believe in as innovative and caring about the gaming community (especially the gaming community that doesn't like rehashed Drivel at ull Price).

I wish...been bored for some time now, bf2 is my main fps, then css, but yea more core maps and hope the new engine is sweet ...maybe hack/z/er protection too...aimbotting sob's!

Only way to stop the hack/z/er's would be to lock down the registry and make the game less like a PC platform and more like a console platform... I see negatives and positives.

'dying off' ? lol. You don't know the CS community. It's been a decade, and CS1.6 is still the #1 spot for most played multiplayer FPS game worldwide. With CS:S following in the #2 spot.

This isn't CoD4 or Madden where you milk the franchise to death. In 5 years from now the CS games will still be the most played multiplayer fps games, whether there is a new version or not.

CS's simple yet complex and highly competitive gameplay has put it in in a league of its own. Its the StarCraft of the FPS genre. They don't need to release and re-release a new version every year like they do with CoD (or the other consolized high graphic games with shitty or dumbed down gameplay) to keep the attention of the console kids.

The notion that a new version is needed right away or it will die off is inaccurate.

This post just made me realize, as a former cs 1.6 nut, that playing cs 1.6 is actually symbolic of my disgust of todays form of industrialized gaming. Too bad my LCD can't pull a 100hz refreshrate though. :p

For the youngsters: You have to understand that counter-strike was originally just another Half-Life (1998) mod coded by a couple of young pc gaming enthusiasts for fun. This mod became a phenomenon comparable to World of Warcraft, but (prolly largely due to the fact of) it was 100% free if you already owned Half-Life. Even now it's probably still the most recognized online FPS, 10~ years after. At this point it's a large part of the eSport movement.

Don't let the craving for money drive you, just do what you think is fun.

I actually think a new version would be a welcome change... I got bored after playing for 5 years and people still clinging to the same maps and using the same methods 90% of the time.

That is a great point and probably why i find myself hopping from one FPS to another the last year or so. Say what you want, but Hardcore Search and Destroy is still one of the greatest skill based gun games you will ever see...console or otherwise.

And I have been seriously considering getting this game lately, more than ever.

whats there to add on a new CS game though? better graphics and physics. what else? to be CSS is fine and there is not need for a new one.

The only problem with a new CS would be that the same community would play it, and there are few game communities more UTTERLY FUCKING DICKHEADED than the CS community.

never really got too much into CS
found it way too campy and slow paced
I also get bored of round based game modes quickly and hate the inaccurate weapons

never really got too much into CS
found it way too campy and slow paced
I also get bored of round based game modes quickly and hate the inaccurate weapons

Weapons that seem inaccurate to you, could actually be closer to real life than you think...

Also to the comment regarding the CS community being dickheads... It is true there are a ton of idiots and children who play this game; however, this can be said for ALL games... It's all perspective.

I personally think CS rings true for me because it's the first game that got me hooked playing a game online. The only reason, (at the time), I looked forward to getting something other than AOL/Earthlink dial-up. CS has a ton of nostalgia baggage for me and because of that, I'm biased and have a soft spot for CS:S in particular.

I remember playing CS on my Voodoo 2 3000 PCI..and that's what really caught my attention to multiplayer FPS shooters. They should put out CS2 but if they do a full remake...they would be making a mistake. There is a reason why those games are still popular after years of release.

Yeah because a guy with a pistol can kill you quicker than you can kill him when your automatic rifle, ANY automatic rifle is in his face point blank range. Yeah...there's realism for you. :rolleyes:

it's a video game. In real life does your health also start at "100" and drop certain points based on "damage" you receive throughout the day too?

Point is, the game isn't all that realistic, I don't know why you expected it to be. If you want realism play Rainbow 6.

The only problem with a new CS would be that the same community would play it, and there are few game communities more UTTERLY FUCKING DICKHEADED than the CS community.

this is so true, esp in the competitive commmunity part of it.

Yeah because a guy with a pistol can kill you quicker than you can kill him when your automatic rifle, ANY automatic rifle is in his face point blank range. Yeah...there's realism for you. :rolleyes:

That's just stupid. I didn't play enough to experience that but I did notice the guns were oddly inaccurate. Can't hate on a game that has lasted as long as this one has, but there is always some issues.

Umm...I stopped reading there. It's not about being "quick", it's about being accurate. Slow your shit down, keep your self to either single shot or short bursts, and aim between the eyes....

CS & CS:S are not supposed to be realistic games, but they are extremely competitive and have a steep learning curve.

Realistic games do not make good competitive games.

I wish Valve didn't try to kill 1.6, much superior game.

A hybrid of 1.5 + 1.6 and update graphics would be a great game. (kinda the idea of cs:fail mod)

Is the fact that most tournaments cater to CS1.6 due to its (still) high popularity? I never see CS:S mentioned at any global gaming tournament...

it's a video game. In real life does your health also start at "100" and drop certain points based on "damage" you receive throughout the day too?

Point is, the game isn't all that realistic, I don't know why you expected it to be. If you want realism play Rainbow 6.

Then why is there recoil in the game? Why have some of their patches been dedicated to weapon accuracy realism? The point still stands on it's merit. Why can equally matched opponents kill with a pistol faster than someone with an automatic rifle? Makes no sense. I've been playing CS since it came out and that has always bothered me.

CS 1.6(and before) is the only video game I got paid to play(over $5000 won in tournaments + sponsorships while in high school). Played in all the major online leagues (CAL-i, UGS-Pro, Cevo Pro or SP or whatever it is now) and participated in CPL Summer 2005-2006. I started playing the game when I was 11 years old. I'm 19 now, lol. Haven't touched it in 2 years though.

The competitive/eSports aspect is what keeps the game alive. I'd LOVE it if the COD series on console put more emphasis on team play and competitions and what not.

The competitive/eSports aspect is what keeps the game alive. I'd LOVE it if the COD series on console put more emphasis on team play and competitions and what not.

Congrats on playing some pro tourneys, that's quite an achievement. As for the console COD series, I am in complete agreement with you and wish someone would put together a hardcore search and destroy tournament for the PS3 version....either MLG or WCG. HS&D is COD's best chance of becoming a marketable, and exciting, game for the viewing audience to watch. All the best teams played this gametype and it separated the men from the boys, basically.

If you ever want to find me after 11/10/09 then you can look no further than the best shooter game provided on the PS3, HS&D. I hope they create some other hardcore, objective based, single life gametypes; but even if they do not I will be more than happy to have some new maps to play HS&D on.

-pr0d1gy

Then why is there recoil in the game? Why have some of their patches been dedicated to weapon accuracy realism?
CS was never about being purely tactical style play - if you want that play the rainbow six games. In most game genre's, GAMEPLAY > REALISM.
One of the things which made the original CS eight years ago so popular was that it was NOT based on reality, but was a CROSS of realism and unrealism.

Some of the elements of fast paced unrealistic multiplayer games like Quake3, mixed with the elements of a bit more realistic HL1 gameplay is what made cs the game it is.

Things like bunny hopping, wallbanging, insane jumps, towers, strafe jumping, MIXED in with realistic things like weapon recoil, 1shot headshot kills, character run speed etc is what made CS appeal to so many millions of gamers.

People who argue "oh but such and such not realistic or tactical" are playing the wrong game - CS was never about realism or being purely tactical, even though there are hints of it throughout its gameplay.

Why can equally matched opponents kill with a pistol faster than someone with an automatic rifle?
Pistols are not automatic (you cannot hold down the fire button and spray it, you need to manually fire every shot), their damage done against armored opponents is drastically less than that done by rifles (except for headshots), they hold much less ammo in a clip and their reload times are just as long as a rifle. It IS harder to take down multiple opponents with a pistol than a rifle.

If you think you should automatically be awarded the win/kill just because you have a rifle and your opponent has a pistol, then you are playing the wrong game. Try a console game which has aimbots built in, that might more suit you. Considering maybe 95%+ of save rounds vs a bought team end in loss of the round, I'd say your statement is inaccurate.
The deagle is quite powerful, but the cost of deagle/armor on a save round can cause the money situation to deteriorate too much if the round is lost. In cs:s where deagles are way more accurate than 1.6 I could buy your argument that they are overpowered - but otherwise I would say CS is a very balanced game. Both teams have to play both sides of every map.

Last edited:
CS was never about being purely tactical style play - if you want that play the rainbow six games. In most game genre's, GAMEPLAY > REALISM.
One of the things which made the original CS eight years ago so popular was that it was NOT based on reality, but was a CROSS of realism and unrealism.

Some of the elements of fast paced unrealistic multiplayer games like Quake3, mixed with the elements of a bit more realistic HL1 gameplay is what made cs the game it is.

Things like bunny hopping, wallbanging, insane jumps, towers, strafe jumping, MIXED in with realistic things like weapon recoil, 1shot headshot kills, character run speed etc is what made CS appeal to so many millions of gamers.

People who argue "oh but such and such not realistic or tactical" are playing the wrong game - CS was never about realism or being purely tactical, even though there are hints of it throughout its gameplay.

Pistols are not automatic (you cannot hold down the fire button and spray it, you need to manually fire every shot), their damage done against armored opponents is drastically less than that done by rifles (except for headshots), they hold much less ammo in a magazine and their reload times are just as long as a rifle. (They shouldn't be.) It IS harder to take down multiple opponents with a pistol than a rifle.

If you think you should automatically be awarded the win/kill just because you have a rifle and your opponent has a pistol, then you are playing the wrong game. Try a console game which has aimbots built in, that might more suit you. Considering maybe 95%+ of save rounds vs a bought team end in loss of the round, I'd say your statement is inaccurate.
The Desert Eagle is quite powerful, but the cost of deagle/armor on a save round can cause the money situation to deteriorate too much if the round is lost. In cs:s where the Desert Eagles are way more accurate than 1.6 I could buy your argument that they are overpowered - but otherwise I would say CS is a very balanced game. Both teams have to play both sides of every map.

Fixt.

The weapons are absolutely off balance and their accuracy and portrayal really sucks. Call of Duty is one of the better games out side of the Tom Clancy games in this regard. While I understand that these are just games, some of them miss the mark more than I'd like. Counterstrike is one of them that really misses the mark. It fails on realism on multiple levels. Again the game was never about that and those who enjoy the game (which wouldn't be me) enjoy it because for whatever reason, the game is fun. That's the #1 thing. As for handguns, well handguns shouldn't be able to do any real damage to most armor. Not even the Deset Eagle .50AE can penetrate Level IV body armor with trauma plates. It isn't going to happen. It will probably hurt the person who got hit, but it won't kill them. Against armor like that handguns are largely ineffective outside of head shots. Helmets have mixed effectiveness against handgun rounds. There are a ton of variables there. When it comes to rifle rounds, some rifles won't penetrate even after multiple hits depending on the body armor. Especially not 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm ammunition used by M4 carbines and AK-47's respectively. The point? The game isn't realistic and to some degree no one wants it to be.

PS: Bunny hopping sucks.

CS 1.6=for competitive gamers, and casual gamers who enjoy scrimming other teams often.

CoD=for people who can't aim, can't bunny hop, wants to point click and kill people across the map because they can't handle recoil patterns, thinks that their game is more realistic because health charges up after 5 seconds.

Back