A new counter-strike?

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Why don't they come out with a new counter-strike? 1.6 and Source were amazing sellers so why wouldn't the influence be there to make a new one?!?

Why don't they come out with a new counter-strike? 1.6 and Source were amazing sellers so why wouldn't the influence be there to make a new one?!?

Why would they need to? Both 1.6 and Source are still in the #5 games in terms of players per day and both still sell extremely well, so why bother making another when you're still printing cash from the first two?

Why would they need to? Both 1.6 and Source are still in the #5 games in terms of players per day and both still sell extremely well, so why bother making another when you're still printing cash from the first two?

Well the price point is down at $20 for CSS ($10 for 1.6). Soon it will be down to $10 and $5. Eventually they need to get working on a game before the population starts dying off.

So what i'm asking is shouldn't they be getting started soon?

When we see Half-life 3, we will see CS 2. Until than you have 1.6/source which are both good games.

Eventually they need to get working on a game before the population starts dying off.
'dying off' ? lol. You don't know the CS community. It's been a decade, and CS1.6 is still the #1 spot for most played multiplayer FPS game worldwide. With CS:S following in the #2 spot.

This isn't CoD4 or Madden where you milk the franchise to death. In 5 years from now the CS games will still be the most played multiplayer fps games, whether there is a new version or not.

CS's simple yet complex and highly competitive gameplay has put it in in a league of its own. Its the StarCraft of the FPS genre. They don't need to release and re-release a new version every year like they do with CoD (or the other consolized high graphic games with shitty or dumbed down gameplay) to keep the attention of the console kids.

The notion that a new version is needed right away or it will die off is inaccurate.

'dying off' ? lol. You don't know the CS community. It's been a decade, and CS1.6 is still the #1 spot for most played multiplayer FPS game worldwide. With CS:S following in the #2 spot.

This isn't CoD4 or Madden where you milk the franchise to death. In 5 years from now the CS games will still be the most played multiplayer fps games, whether there is a new version or not.

CS's simple yet complex and highly competitive gameplay has put it in in a league of its own. Its the StarCraft of the FPS genre. They don't need to release and re-release a new version every year like they do with CoD (or the other consolized high graphic games with shitty or dumbed down gameplay) to keep the attention of the console kids.

The notion that a new version is needed right away or it will die off is inaccurate.

Well first of all i've been playing CS since CS 1.3 so I do know the CS community pretty well.

However I will admit that I was wrong in implying that if they don't make a new game soon it will die. But I think CS 1.6 came out in 2002 or 2003 and CSS came out in 2004 so that's about a 1-2 year gap between 1.6 and CSS. We're going on 5 years since the last "new version" of CS. Having played as long as I do it gets boring (yet I can't stop playing :p )

Does anyone think there is a chance that new maps will be released like they did in COD4. Keep in mind I realize there are THOUSANDS of maps (mainly made by the community) but I think it would be nice to get additional "core" maps (core maps: dust2, assault, italy, ect).

valve is done with cs until the next major source engine update, which is probably HL3. Valve was only 1 dev team up until the bought turtlerock and developed L4D. they can really only work on 1 major title at a time with maybe 1 small team updating current games (tf2/l4d) and doing critical bug/server patches for old games (dods/css/hl1-era).

I played CS:S again today and I have to say, It's just not that much fun anymore. ultra-inaccurate weapons and taking 3+ shots to kill someone who doesn't even have body armor just isn't my cup of tea.

I cannot recall where I read it, but I do remember hints of CS2 during Dev interviews on Ep.2. I doubt we'll see it any time soon, for reasons Somnambulator has already pointed out, but I also don't imagine Valve allowing one of its largest cash cow's to die off either (barring a more successful replacement that is).

If CS:S gets boring, it's because you guys keep playing the same 2-3 maps over and over again!

Try something other than office and dust maps.

I wouldn't mind if they just released a huge content patch for CS:S. New maps and achievements and protect the VIP game mode.

If CS:S gets boring, it's because you guys keep playing the same 2-3 maps over and over again!

I wouldn't mind if they just released a huge content patch for CS:S. New maps and achievements and protect the VIP game mode.

This

I played CS when it was new. After a year or so I quit playing it. It just got old. Same old same old. Nothing changes. FPS games have evolved since then and now CS just seems bland to me.

I played CS when it was new. After a year or so I quit playing it. It just got old. Same old same old. Nothing changes. FPS games have evolved since then and now CS just seems bland to me.

CS is not just a shooting game, its more of a game where people chat and playing together..

try the Bar Room server, I bet it make you feel a whole lot different....

CS is not just a shooting game, its more of a game where people chat and playing together..

try the Bar Room server, I bet it make you feel a whole lot different....

I don't socialize online in games too much.

People who say things like I pwned you noob!!!!!!!! u suXorZ!!!! or being accused of cheating because I kicked their asses gets old. Many of the people that play on online games have this attitude and as a result I play games, ignore almost all the communication and once I get tired of a game, I stop playing it.

I played CS:S again today and I have to say, It's just not that much fun anymore. ultra-inaccurate weapons and taking 3+ shots to kill someone who doesn't even have body armor just isn't my cup of tea.

You're doing it wrong.:(

CS was great the last 2 years of high school, and pretty much up to the last year of college (where I transitioned to Source). So basically 6.5 years of old and new CS, I'd say that's a pretty good run. I think I was more tolerant of the name-calling as a high schooler, but now that I'm older I probably don't want to hear it anymore.

Plus, much of my CS motivation to play was always about one-upping the best player on the other team. I know TF2 tries SO hard to do this artificially, but it isn't the same in TF2 b/c of the constant respawning over a single "long" round whereas CS was one a 5 min round-by-round basis.

I cannot recall where I read it, but I do remember hints of CS2 during Dev interviews on Ep.2.

I remember that too, but I can't find the article. But I want to say they were saying that it HAS been considered and that we shouldn't expect anything until closer to HL3 (which we shouldn't expect until after Episode 3 lol..)

I wonder whats taking Episode 3 so long

Anyway, as much as I enjoy CSS, IMO the next CS would need to introduce new interesting elements to the game. Maybe new game modes or so.
Better graphics and extra physics won't be enough...

Some people dug into some FGD (Forge Game Data - used for the SDK) files a while back (like 1 1/2 years ago) and found references to new game modes and achievements for Counter-Strike: Source. Haven't heard anything about that since, though. Maybe they're going to launch the update alongside Episode 3.

Because they're supporting CS 1.6 with adverts and eventually will with CS: S

The problem is finding servers. Since Steam changed the system, I can hardly find any servers these days. In the old days, I'd get 20,000 hits in 2 minutes. Now I am hard pressed to get 200 and it takes like 10 minutes to update! Most of those don't have players, have the same maps, or high ping. I know the servers are out there, but valve changed the way the server refresh worked to deal with certain routers and it has borked the entire system.

You sure? I still get tons, but if I'm behind a restrictive firewall like my Girlfriends school, I hardly get any.

No.

I don't want Valve to trash CS:S like they did DoD:S. New maps are always welcomed but rarely are they good.

I miss CS :( played from beta 5 up until about 2004. CS 1.3 is and was the best version period :p Maybe I will give CS:S a try since I never really played it that much.

i stopped playing cs:s only because my computer died and i got my xbox. i still miss it occasionally. my biggest issue wasn't the game but only how competetive i got. played since 1.3 and it still has a place in my heart.

they just updated 1.6 like last week, and there's still like one team looking for scrim in mirc every 5 seconds.

The people still playing CS:S are the people who like office, dust2, and to a lesser extent assault. I've found that anything that wasn't included in CS 1.6 isn't terribly popular. This includes many of the new maps, which is unfortunate because some of them are still very good.

I agree with the posters that think they just need a content upgrade. Bringing back the VIP mode and re-creating some of the VIP modes should keep the community happy, and may lure some older players back.

CS:S has hit a point where it probably won't lure in many new players, and I don't think that existing players are terribly interested in "new" content.

Cl_Radio off
or something like that. Haven't played in a while.

you're probably right as far as the guys who like it are happy with what they got: when i think cs i think dust 2, office and my awp (muahahaha)

Because Source laid the groundwork for a great online game but left it at that point, and gave us temperamental hit calculation, guns poking through walls and shadows showing through floors and whatnot. I don't even play seriously enough to be able to list the real issues with CS:S, but there's a reason that people didn't all migrate to Source from 1.6.

If they actually put some work in they could produce a cracking game, but there's no chance of that now that they've stopped making games and now make the industry equivalent of Hollywood films.

The main reason is becasue hl3 will take most of the money they want to sink into a game and to push a new cs would defeat the purpose of a hl3.They have people still buying the games and the mass market of people have been reached on the old cs games.

lol if you think CS:S is hard then try 1.6. I'm guessing you're a CoD4 fan who likes laser tag guns that kill in 1 click with perfect accuracy across the map. No recoil control, no strategic maps, no team effort.

Valve better fix all the registry bs and server reg issues if they make CS 2. Putting an AK round through a CTs head and then somehow magically missing (despite the cursor being dead on) and having your teammates tell you that you were aiming to the left/right of his head will piss you off eventually.

Back