A New BioShock Game Is Reportedly in the Works

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to Mafia 3 developer Hangar 13, a new BioShock title is in the works at a top-secret studio at 2K Games. The game is codenamed “Parkside” and will be developed under a smaller team.

It'll be very interesting to see where BioShock goes next. The report doesn't indicate who's leading the game's development, but Ken Levine, the creative director on BioShock and BioShock Infinite, won't be involved: He pulled the plug on Irrational Games in 2014, and is now heading up a new, smaller studio called Ghost Story Games.

Bioshock Infinite was excellent. Hopefully the new game is equal to, or better.

I'm a huge fan of the first two Bioshock games. This type of game would be insane in VR, and I think it would translate very well. Just imagine if they ported the first game to SteamVR.

I re-play BS1 and 2 at least once a year. Even knowing the story by heart, it's still an amazing ride.

Here's hoping whatever the new one is, leans more towards 1 and 2 and less towards Infinite (which was ok, but completely lost that immersive feeling of the first two).

I re-play BS1 and 2 at least once a year. Even knowing the story by heart, it's still an amazing ride.

Here's hoping whatever the new one is, leans more towards 1 and 2 and less towards Infinite (which was ok, but completely lost that immersive feeling of the first two).
That is Witcher 3 for me.

I hope it's more like 1 and 2 as well. They were creepy and I liked that.

Witcher 3 is incredible, but when I start playing that one, I tend to want to skip things like sleep, food, work... and that doesn't go over too well. :p

BS1 & 1 aren't quite as massive so its easier to walk away from those for a little bit.

A Bioshock game like Witcher 3 (but underwater again) would pretty much ruin me I think. (It'd be worth it though I bet).

If it's Bioshock 1 and 2 like, then great. Infinte had an amazing world, but the gameplay was boring and they never really wrapped up the story to my satisfaction, so let's not do that again.

Now if they want to make an open world Bioshosck like Fallout 3 or Skyrim, I'll just disappear into that game for a year or so.

I couldn't get into the Bioshock games. Tried each one and never got hooked.

The Mass Effect series for me.

I actually like the aesthetics of the first game but it was absolutely unplayable on PC even after editing a few ini files. So yeah. Anyone daring to ship a game in such a state without ever fixing is dead to me.

I actually like the aesthetics of the first game but it was absolutely unplayable on PC even after editing a few ini files. So yeah. Anyone daring to ship a game in such a state without ever fixing is dead to me.
Can you clarify? If you are talking about the first Bioshock, it's been a while, but I do not remember it being anything close to unplayable. It ran great.

Can you clarify? If you are talking about the first Bioshock, it's been a while, but I do not remember it being anything close to unplayable. It ran great.

It ran alright. The mouse was terribly wrong though

Have you played the remastered ones? I think they're free if you have the original on Steam. I just played through again a couple months ago, good stuff. Though, I do think I had to fool with the mouse acceleration or something before it felt good.

What next, the main character a black jewish women from the holocaust? Oh not, don't read that. NO ideas!
Her name is Pat, she is transgendered. She is a lot more likeable than Elizabeth was in Infinite. Can't wait.

I tried all those fixed back then and while things got better, it still didn't feel right. My loss

The last Bioshock came to Linux so i'm hoping the next one does as well.

I enjoyed all three so looking forward to this. The next couple of years are looking good for franchises, new BioShock, Metro, Cyberpunk, Red Dead, who knows what else. Heck I saw Middle Earth actually dropped in price(still gonna wait till July though). Too cool!

It ran alright. The mouse was terribly wrong though
I just had this problem. I'm not sure what the issue was, but mouse works fine now. I imagine you are talking about how as you reduce sensitivity, the mouse movement becomes real chunky? And the menus are impossible to navigate by mouse at even 400/800dpi? I tried to figure out BS1 Remastered mouse issue again the other day...and suddenly the problem was gone. I had complained about this earlier in the year, when I attempted to revisit the game, and didn't get much feedback on the steam forums. I don't see any resolution or update posted in the steam changelogs, but the problem is gone.

It still has a pretty high ingame sens at '1' with 400dpi, and interaccel can kinda alleviate this somewhat, but the immovable or chunky mouse in UI issue has been silently fixed.

Edit: As to a new Bioshock, I'm all for it in concept, yet Infinite didn't do it for me and felt very ham-handed. I guess it would have to be a pretty great re-imagining of Rapture and a totally new plot. Rapture and it's denizens are such a great set-piece, and BS1 has so many great moments...I think that would be a hard sell or project to succeed at, though. I mean...didn't Prey already steal the thunder for such a project?

Last edited:

The controls in the PC version of the original Bioshock were terrible. The conversion of the gamepad to mouse/keyboard controls wasn't worth a shit which made the game a huge pain in the ass to play. No matter how much you tried to tweak the settings, clunky is best you could make the controls feel.

The controls in the PC version of the original Bioshock were terrible.
1. Cool. A new Bioshock.
2. A mouse with a couple of extra buttons and the game was peachy. Not ideal, but perfectly playable. 9/10 easy.

I do hope it's back under water.
Underwater could be cool but it'd also be interesting if they incorporated a lunar(or even Mars) colony theme. Imagine a bio version of those Nazi's in space movies from a few years ago. You know, the secret, unknown, colony that's been there for years until the time is right to conquer the earth kind of thing.

1. Cool. A new Bioshock.
2. A mouse with a couple of extra buttons and the game was peachy. Not ideal, but perfectly playable. 9/10 easy.

The issue wasn't buttons. The base sense was/is very high at even 400 or 800 dpi (the lowest and most common native dpi settings for most mice at the time of the remaster). If you reduce ingame sense the mouse becomes real chunky in the UI. You have to swing your mouse across the pad to get the cursor to skip around in the UI, if you've dropped the sensitivity to anything below 3. Sensitivity 3 at 400 dpi is like a 12cm/360. It's very annoying. You think you can stomach Sens 1 at 400dpi, and just navigate the menus via keyboard...but you forget how many UI elements there are to the game.

Sens 0 at 400dpi (yes you can set the sensitivity to 0 and still move the mouse) is still really fast. It's not unplayable, it's just weird and the UI interaction was messed up because the mouse wouldn't then move. It's no longer like that.

Game is pretty simple mechanically, you can play it with a two button mouse and maybe 2 or 3 binds on your keyboard above the basic movement ones.

I didn't care about Infinite at all but I enjoyed both 1 & 2.

Yeah, Infinite was OK. Bioshock 1 and 2 were much better, IMHO.

I mean the whole concept of and underwater city built in the 40's and plasmids requires a lot of suspense of disbelief, but I found a flying city required even more so, and reduced the enjoyment a bit for me.

Back