A new 2.7x zoom (say hello to my little freind)

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd been planning to buy this lens in the spring, but when Henry's in Toronto had a "Boxing Day" sale of 20% off, I had to jump on it now.

Its just a little guy - 2.7x

bigsig1.jpg

:D

This is a Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 Definetely a "tripod only" piece of gear

The above pic looks kinda weird as I had to really clip the levels to get any detail out of the image.

I'll be testing it out tomorrow so I'll see if I can get a better pic of it while I'm at it. I'll probably scroll through some focal lengths so we all (me included) can get an idea of wide to ultra-telephoto. Rumour has it my Nikkor TCs may work with it so I'll test that too

Uhm, boxing day was a month ago. You had it in quotes though, does that mean it's still going on? :D

Now *that's* a bigma :D

KevC said:
Uhm, boxing day was a month ago. You had it in quotes though, does that mean it's still going on? :D

Now *that's* a bigma :D

I wasn't sure if Boxing Day was a Canadian thing or not - it was a one week special. 10% off all lenses and 20% off Sigma. I actually ordered it Dec 25th when I was in the market for the remote flash cable. It took this long to get it (came in today)

Ah. Well I'm Canadian. And I was interested but Henry's is way overpriced anyway. I'd get things shipped in from the States. :)

if there was a manned expidition to mars you could probably give us some nice pics of them...

That's some big glass :eek:

I haven't seen a FoV tighter than 135mm (85mm lens) on my SLR, so I can't even imagine what 300-800mm would be like, even with the help of Canon's Lens Zoom Comparison applet. All I can think of is outdoor sports...from the parking lot or roof of the building next door :D

How is the AF on that beast?

That lens is fscking scary. I want to have its kittens :p

Some shots would be good. like... neighbor window shots? :D

The AF is really fast. As fast as any of my AF-S lenses.

I had an hour to spare today, so I went down to the lake to grab some focal length comparison shots. I brought along my 12-24 f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 300-800mm f/5.6:

12mm.jpg

12mm

24mm.jpg

24mm

50mm.jpg

50mm

70mm.jpg

70mm

130mm.jpg

130mm

200mm.jpg

200mm

300mm.jpg

300mm

400mm.jpg

400mm

500mm.jpg

500mm

600mm.jpg

600mm

700mm.jpg

700mm

800mm.jpg

800mm

I spot-metered the snow, then opened up two stops. Hmmm f/16 at 1/200 - go figure :p I guess I should have metered again once I'd reached the other side of the lake - looks like it was a little darker over there (snow starting to look grey). Time to clean the sensor again soon I see.

My long lens technique is going to need some work. I think this fellow is a bit much for my Gitzo 1340 as well. A lot of shake at the far end. Retracting the legs to just the top sections probably would have helped alot.

wow, that is crazy, you cant even see the houses in that first pic, and in the last one is is like your in their back yard :)

awesome toy :)

Yeah, unfortuantely my TCs won't fit. I think I see why they won't go on - a little tab is in the way. I may have to "mod" them to remove the tab. At 1600mm I'm sure I could have peered in the windows :D

Damn, you can probably zoom someone inside out with those things :p ! I bet Superman has those as his eyes lol!

Also: Do the "Feeling inadequate" comments from everyday people that you see when you carry that thing around, get annoying? :p j/k!

Heh, this lens is far too big and heavy (13lbs) to cart about for "everyday" people to comment. I get that alot with the 70-200 though.

For fun, here is a comparison of the two of them:

200x800.jpg

Supper time now but after I'm going to take a moon shot.

DaCoOlNeSs said:
fuck man, thats HUGE. you D70 must be having an orgasm :p

HAHAHAHAH :D

and Rage:

Thaaaaaaat's a HUUUUGGGGEEE Bitch!

Looking forward to your moon shots.... let's just hope it's of our moon and not "a moon" :D (like an out of shape guy neighbor of yours or something :mad: ). J/k bro!

I just looked at those shots, and my roommate looked at me like i'd just made an orgasm sound... Dude. just... fuck!

I don't know much about cameras... But i know that that KICKS ASS! I can't wait for some more pics!

Very nice indeed. Im turning green over it. I need to remember, Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors rig.

earthscore said:
More peektures? :(

Sorry, its dark when I leave for work and its dark when I come home. Maybe on the weekend if its not too cold. Overcast again tonight so no moon again.

Way cool, man. Personally, I'm more for practicality, so I'm really drooling over your 70-200 F/2.8

How much ya get it for, and where? :)

hows that wimberly sidekick working for ya?

my full wimberly head works wonderful on my 500mm f/4.0L

Mr_Bucket said:
hows that wimberly sidekick working for ya?

my full wimberly head works wonderful on my 500mm f/4.0L

The sidekick is great but it is not quite enough for this brute. Once my credit card cools off some, I'm going to get it a full Wimberly and a Gitzo 1500

royjr said:
Way cool, man. Personally, I'm more for practicality, so I'm really drooling over your 70-200 F/2.8

How much ya get it for, and where? :)

The 70-200 was purchased locally for around $2,300CDN. The 300-800 I got on special from Henry's for $5,200CDN ($1,300 off). The foot for the 70-200 was replaced with an RRS one, the 300-800 got a plate from Kirk.

Friday night bump to have this post at the top of the list so u don't have to search for it when u take those pics over the weekend!

offtopic: i have the stomach flu and it sucks :(

Got a buisness meeting out of town this weekend so there won't be any mega-zoom pics. There is the "interesting" thing in life - when you can finally afford the cool toys, you don't get time to play with them :mad:

Here's hoping for clear nights next week

PS-RagE said:
Got a buisness meeting out of town this weekend so there won't be any mega-zoom pics. There is the "interesting" thing in life - when you can finally afford the cool toys, you don't get time to play with them :mad:

Here's hoping for clear nights next week

Moon pics? NOW?!?! Just curious, how much was that glass?

Alias said:
Moon pics? NOW?!?! Just curious, how much was that glass?

He posted it in this thread... $5200 CDN...

Dude, that's insane hah. Are you planning of upgrading your D70 to the D2X? :D

Nah, I'm going to wait for the D200 :cool: It will be a second body, not an upgrade. The D2X will be awesome I'm sure, but I don't really want a huge pro body just yet.

.... as for the moon pics, I haven't seen one in some time. Supposed to be full from 20th to 23rd so hopefully we'll get some nice cold, clear nights

You could choke a horse with that, christ.

Nice lens, though. No matter how ridiculously big and ludicrously expensive it was. :)

PS-RagE said:
Nah, I'm going to wait for the D200 :cool: It will be a second body, not an upgrade. The D2X will be awesome I'm sure, but I don't really want a huge pro body just yet.

.... as for the moon pics, I haven't seen one in some time. Supposed to be full from 20th to 23rd so hopefully we'll get some nice cold, clear nights

I would love a huge pro body... *drool*

Regime|Life said:
I would love a huge pro body... *drool*

Heh, changed my mind - D2X on order. Gonna sell the D70 after all.

BTW, I've put the giant lens away for now so those of you bumping the thread can stop. It is just too much for my current tripod. I've got a Wimberly on back-order. Should have it middle of March or so. That plus a Gitzo 1500 will do the trick.

Back