A mysterious deep space radio burst is sending signals to Earth every 16 days

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
A mysterious object in a galaxy 500 million light-years away is confusing scientists with its signals. It appears to be transmitting signals that reach Earth in a repeating, 16-day pattern, but researchers have no idea why.
According to a recent study, this marks the first time astronomers have detected a reliable pattern in the signals, known as fast radio bursts, or FRBs. It's an important step in figuring out where the bursts originate from. Before now, such pulses appeared to be random in timing. That changed when the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment Fast Radio Burst Project (CHIME/FRB) discovered a repeating pattern. The recently detected FRB, known as FRB 180916.J0158+65, sends out bursts that last for four days before stopping for 12 days and then repeating. The first 28 cycles were observed between September 2018 and October 2019 using the CHIME radio telescope in British Columbia. "We conclude that this is the first detected periodicity of any kind in an FRB source," the study's authors said. "The discovery of a 16.35-day periodicity in a repeating FRB source is an important clue to the nature of this object."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-r...WElyAmnnDFWGBurHuUXSwTql3IxgAqtYoyvj-xZ_yoNxo

1581518305842.png

Not sure how I was the first to post this.....

article said:
There is one source most scientists have generally ruled out: aliens. But discovering more repeating FRBs may be the only way to know for sure.

These take enormous amounts of energy to produce, which is why aliens are pretty effectively ruled out; not to mention that being anywhere in the vicinity of the point of origin... Well, let's just say that you'd need a lot of sunblock.

These take enormous amounts of energy to produce, which is why aliens are pretty effectively ruled out; not to mention that being anywhere in the vicinity of the point of origin... Well, let's just say that you'd need a lot of sunblock.

It is all a cover up! These people are all bought and paid for keeping us under control and in the dark that aliens are out there and among us!

500 million light years away. If it was a civilization, it most likely has collapsed and rebuilt several times since this signal was sent.

Maybe the signal "bursts" are being interrupted by a celestial body that the source is orbiting?

That's one of the theories.

But what sets this one apart is that all of the prior ones detected have never had a repeating pattern. You get a burst (a few milliseconds), maybe a couple, then it is never heard from again. They don't really know what causes them but they could be related to how pulsars send out emissions, and its like a laser pointer beaming out of a rotating object. Think about the mechanics of this, they are high speed rotating bodies, some making many rotations per second (lots of energy involved), and the body may or may not be orbiting another body, and they are likely in a galaxy, so orbiting the galactic center.

This all adds up to something akin to being very very wobbly: think a laser pointer strapped to a kid jumping on a trampoline while trying to aim the thin laserbeam at a target on the other side of the solarsystem.

Hence, we do randomly get hit with a burst, maybe a couple, but then never hit again. It's the sheer luck of being hit at all. Then comes this thing, hitting us regularly and repeatably. It's never been observed to have happened before, so quite interesting.

Hawking told us to stop sending messages in the dark. All the civilizations that will respond are very likely more advanced, evil and will try to conquer or eliminate us.
https://www.space.com/29999-stephen-hawking-intelligent-alien-life-danger.html

Given the sheer span of light years being covered here even if it was a civilization (which is unlikely) that sent it, they would have been dead so long ago that even intelligent life native to the origin wouldn't know they ever existed.

Given the sheer span of light years being covered here even if it was a civilization (which is unlikely) that sent it, they would have been dead so long ago that even intelligent life native to the origin wouldn't know they ever existed.
Because you just imagine that our known physics is by the rule that everything works. Physicists are imagining ways to travel faster than light, which is supposedly impossible, but this seems now well possible with huge amounts of energy. And yet we're already on the verge to build compact fusion reactors. Also most of the universe matter is unknown and invisible to us not even knowing which law of physics they follow.

Because you just imagine that our known physics is by the rule that everything works. Physicists are imagining ways to travel faster than light, which is supposedly impossible, but this seems now well possible with huge amounts of energy. And yet we're already on the verge to build compact fusion reactors. Also most of the universe matter is unknown and invisible to us not even knowing which law of physics they follow.

I'm going to steer on the side of "impossible until proven otherwise". You might as well say "for all we know some advanced alien civilization has already invented time travel".

I'm going to steer on the side of "impossible until proven otherwise". You might as well say "for all we know some advanced alien civilization has already invented time travel".
Time travel would need a much more improbable physics than faster than light. Bending the space should be possible with a lot of energy. I'm not sure it is not on the verge of being experimented on a very small distance in a lab. I remember I've read something about it being thought of.

It's 16 days to us.... Does not mean it's 16 days to them. The things we knew could never happen 100 years ago.................... Yet here we are. I don't have any specific beliefs, but I do believe it's possible.

maybe they have. maybe we have. maybe the aliens are really us coming back in time. ;)

Hawking told us to stop sending messages in the dark. All the civilizations that will respond are very likely more advanced, evil and will try to conquer or eliminate us.
https://www.space.com/29999-stephen-hawking-intelligent-alien-life-danger.html
nobody gives a damn about us. space is the ultimate inhospitable zone. all those sci-fi books you read are BS. Radiation will destroy your DNA in space and radiation will destroy your DNA on mars and... pretty much this earth, that we are intent on screwing up... is it. gg humans. my personal belief that the reasons we have not discovered radio signals (vs repeating noise) from outer space is that once civilizations became evolved enough to create radio waves they also became evolved enough to totally destroy their environment. Say there were aliens... it is far easier to grab minerals and such from asteroid belts than it is to enter a gravity well and pull minerals out of a gravity well.

That's one of the theories.

But what sets this one apart is that all of the prior ones detected have never had a repeating pattern. You get a burst (a few milliseconds), maybe a couple, then it is never heard from again. They don't really know what causes them but they could be related to how pulsars send out emissions, and its like a laser pointer beaming out of a rotating object. Think about the mechanics of this, they are high speed rotating bodies, some making many rotations per second (lots of energy involved), and the body may or may not be orbiting another body, and they are likely in a galaxy, so orbiting the galactic center.

This all adds up to something akin to being very very wobbly: think a laser pointer strapped to a kid jumping on a trampoline while trying to aim the thin laserbeam at a target on the other side of the solarsystem.

Hence, we do randomly get hit with a burst, maybe a couple, but then never hit again. It's the sheer luck of being hit at all. Then comes this thing, hitting us regularly and repeatably. It's never been observed to have happened before, so quite interesting.

"My understanding was that they detected the pattern because someone looked at it with a new process." Rereading the article I can see where I probably misinterpreted the report. The bursts only last like 1/1000th of a second. How did we ever miss this before?

Last edited:
"My understanding was that they detected the pattern because someone looked at it with a new process." Rereading the article I can see where I probably misinterpreted the report. The bursts only last like 1/1000th of a second. How did we ever miss this before?

Because... the gamers were right. Even astrophysicists need higher refresh rate monitors.

Back