A mouse that's resistant towards the entropic decay that occurs with Logitech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really

n00b
Hi,

So I have this Logitech M510 thing.
I could have sworn I just bought it.

The little "slick" pads on the bottom surface are *sliding off* and the glue is no longer holding them to the mouse.

The whole rubber area where my thumb goes has literally DECAYED down to the plastic surface underneath, because of simple oil on my fingers dissolving the rubber.

On my previous Logitechs, all of these things happened, and the mouse-wheels would decay too!

Very soon after purchasing any Logitech, I feel like it's old and broken.

---

Does anyone know of a good mouse that's highly resistant towards this kind of decay?

One specifically designed against such decay!?

One which doesn't use silly little stickers to make the slick-slide surfaces underneath?
One without rubber that dissolves from oil on your fingers?

Thanks,
- Really

Not trying to sound like I'm attacking you, but it sounds more like a personal problem (everyone's bodily fluids are different). I can't really give too much advice other than the same old battle-station hygiene BS you've probably heard, but any peripheral with a rubberized coating is probably going to end up having the same results for you as most of Logitech's mid-range mice have had very decent build-quality; I personally have a G500 and G9x still in seemingly new condition after 2+ years of daily use and the only issues are the skates need to be replaced on the G9x (used on my gaming rig).

On another note, what type of surface do you mouse on? The skates used on the G9x might be more durable because of the larger surface area, but I've been using a slightly textured hard-pad since getting it and am only now wanting to replace them (old free no-name pad with a rubberized bottom to keep it from sliding).

I'm seriously not trying to contrary for contrary's sake but, this is totally not my experience with Logitech mice, but I've only ever really had the higher end ones. I have an MX700 that still works. It only started showing the sort of wear that you're describing after 5yrs of WoW for 30hrs a week. I've got more logitech mice in a 180 visual arc right now on my desk than I'm probably aware of under the piles of parts around here and the only one that's seriously messed up is a notebook mouse that has literally been chucked at speed more than once onto concrete surfaces, consequently, the scroll wheel doesn't like to register "down" any more than a 70% of the time.

Maybe try hooking up with a Loigtech G400s?

In any case, since my anecdotes don't help your question, I'm assuming you're probably rough with your gear. The only other mice outside of high-end Logitech units that I've seen that suffer serious abuse without issues are the higher-end Microsoft units like the Microsoft Ergonomic 6000 (not real gaming oriented, sadly) or some of the random Belkin mice I've encountered.

Also, while it seems like it shouldn't matter a huge amount, I've found that a decent mouse-pad does wonders for mouse longevity. Rubbing those little feet on a wood surface for instance just takes 'em down to the nub in no time.

I simply don't believe you guys.

I've seen my buddy's Logitechs and they're *all* falling apart...

I can think of my mum's mouse, falling apart.

I can think of the Logitechs at the office, they're all falling apart.

Every one of them.

So I literally cannot logically believe you.

And you said the feet were coming off. That's falling apart, too. Let's hope your mouse-wheels hold up.

Last edited:
If you didn't use the M510, you haven't experienced the type of rubber they've used on it.
It's low grade rubber.

I searched google and found a long list of images of Logitechs falling apart like mine.

Last edited:
Anyways, I'm looking for a sturdier mouse, not to determine there's something wrong with my fingers.

I've used my MX518 for 6 years and it still works fine, only needing one cord replacement and new mouse feet.

The thumb area has worn out for me too, but that was about 4 years ago.

I second the recommendation for the G400, its the new version of the MX518 and just as reliable from what I've heard.

I want a mouse made of soft metal and titanium!

I looked around for this just to see what I might find out of curiosity. Considering the only titanium mouse I found is €399, I'm gonna guess it's not worth the price. I found some mice made out of stainless steel that are 1-off mods made more for pretty than for durability. I did find a mouse made of wood. Realistically, that would probably combat some of what you're talking about in terms of skin oils.

I hate to tell ya, despite your anecdotal evidence being diametrically opposed to mine, it's still the case that if you do a search for "durable mouse", you're gonna find a whole lot of recommendations for Logitech gear.

I found a post here on [H] that may help... :D

*Found some industrial equipment that you might look at. They look basic but I suspect they're pretty hardcore.

*Medical / Industrial mouse

*This one is freakin' bizarro, but the fact that it's made of solid acrylic pretty much makes it impossible to wear out from just skin contact I think

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
cortexodus, thanks for all your help and fine research. Serious.

If Logitech or somebody else made a durable soft titanium mouse of quality design, I think they'd get a lot of sales.
Cause it's a novel product that's not out in the market, and people know about this issue.
Ask my mum. She'll say how her mouse breaks.

But then again, maybe that would be undermining their business of re-selling you mice over and over again. :)

Fine, charge more for it to make up for that loss.

I've used my MX518 for 6 years and it still works fine, only needing one cord replacement and new mouse feet.
The thumb area has worn out for me too, but that was about 4 years ago.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Although it actually doesn't happen to me because my hands don't sweat and I grip my mice softly.

It seems like all mice have that same sort of plastic and coating so I'm not sure you'll be able to find one that doesn't. I wonder if there is some sort of spray you can coat it with.

Just my personal experience... I've had an mx510 for 10-11 years. Its my daily driver. The rubber coating is still intact, but just smoothed out where my thumb goes. This mouse has survived my man handling at countless LANs, and stood the test of time. I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience because I would recommend this one to anybody.

Have you considered all-plastic mice? Also, if you go through mice quickly, have you weighed the option of buying cheap mice and just replacing them when they break (instead of buying expensive ones and replacing them when they break - could save you money in the long run if this is a chronic problem for you). Something like the Microsoft Intellimouse fits both those bills.

My 9 year old MX518 is losing its rubbery plastic or whatever... but the mouse is so damn good i don't even care.

My Logitech's all lasted for a couple of years. That being said they usually look like shit after a couple of months of use. The plastic wears pretty quickly. Markings wear off and rubber coatings sluff off pretty fast.

So far my R.A.T.7. has been much better than any Logitech in that regard.

I dunno. Logitechs are the only mice I've owned that lasted long enough to actually wear out, or be retired due to obsolescence (corded, pre-optical MouseMan, didn't really care to fuss with that oldskool serial port any longer).

I bought an MX310 in 2004 and it was replaced under warranty twice. Finally retired it last year for a G400.

I've owned my notebook mouse (V450) 3 years, only recently has the middle-click started being funky. I've dropped this mouse more times than I care to think about.

eta:
To be fair, it isn't all roses. Once upon a birthday, I bought my SO a supposedly top-shelf Logitech G9. It stopped working in a few months. Logitech warranty-replaced it with a G9x, which also died a few months later.

The only other brand mouse I've owned this century was a Microsoft LaserMouse 5000. Stupid thing died inside a week, and I never liked it when it did work, due to the poor implementation of the middle click/scroll wheel.

My logitech G600 blew up last night. Mouse plugs in and connects fine, but none of the buttons work and cursor sensitivity is insanely low. Logitech pretty much took my information today without any hitch and the CSR I spoke with sounds like I'm pretty much getting a new one right away. The mouse is just about to turn 1 year old on the 20th.

I have an MX518 that's gotten almost daily use since it was new. In 2007.

I have a G500 that I bought when that mouse first released and used for a couple of years that's still in perfect shape.

Also in use currently in my house: A G5, and a newer G400.

All work. The feet never came off any of them. They wore down on the MX518 after a few years, which is normal. Replacement set is still on there and fine.

Hi,

So I have this Logitech M510 thing.
I could have sworn I just bought it.

The little "slick" pads on the bottom surface are *sliding off* and the glue is no longer holding them to the mouse.

The whole rubber area where my thumb goes has literally DECAYED down to the plastic surface underneath, because of simple oil on my fingers dissolving the rubber.

On my previous Logitechs, all of these things happened, and the mouse-wheels would decay too!

Very soon after purchasing any Logitech, I feel like it's old and broken.

---

Does anyone know of a good mouse that's highly resistant towards this kind of decay?

One specifically designed against such decay!?

One which doesn't use silly little stickers to make the slick-slide surfaces underneath?
One without rubber that dissolves from oil on your fingers?

Thanks,
- Really

You probably had a bad mouse. I've been using Logitech mices for ten years by now. I've not experienced anything like what you have with the rapid decay of adhesive and rapid plastic/rubber decay.

I'm currently using the Logitech G700 with the cord for a few years now and It isn't exhibiting and rapid decay of adhesive/plastic/rubber decay. Try the new Logitech "S" series http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice?WT.ac=ps|10871 .

I'm using the razor exactmat x speed mouse pad with the razor gel wrist pad.

Same here, never experienced any of that with logitech mice. Then again, I don't have sweaty hands and don't grind it into the mousing surface. I have a Logitech G7 (one of the originals) and it still looks basically new. The Pads are getting worn, but for a mouse that is easily 7+ years old that is to be expected. Mx700 looks good and it has the rubber coating, Performance Mouse MX looks good, same thing and my old MX1000 from way back in the day does as well.

Honestly, I think the mouse isn't the problem. The Feet thing definitely isn't, you are either putting way too much weight on it, or you need a decent mousing surface.

On that note..Dear Logitech..Please give us a Wireless gaming grade mouse using the G7 Form factor. You still have the body (g400s), ffs why no wireless version? The G700 is nice and all but just frankly too heavy for twitchy games.

My logitech G600 blew up last night. Mouse plugs in and connects fine, but none of the buttons work and cursor sensitivity is insanely low. Logitech pretty much took my information today without any hitch and the CSR I spoke with sounds like I'm pretty much getting a new one right away. The mouse is just about to turn 1 year old on the 20th.
That's another thing I like about Logitech, their customer service has been fantastic.

I mentioned that I got 2 warranty replacements for my MX310. Both times, I simply called, described the problem, and they sent out a new one. I wasn't asked to send in the old one. I may have been asked to email them the receipt (it was originally bought off Newegg, if I recall) but I'm not sure.

They did ask for the dead G9 to be sent in before they sent out a replacement, but they prepaid the return shipping.

My Logitech G700 has been one of the best mice I have ever used.

That said, I've had good luck with SteelSeries mice in the past regarding durability. It has been some time since I have owned one though, so I'm not sure what, if anything, has changed.

I simply don't believe you guys.

I've seen my buddy's Logitechs and they're *all* falling apart...

I can think of my mum's mouse, falling apart.

I can think of the Logitechs at the office, they're all falling apart.

Every one of them.

So I literally cannot logically believe you.

And you said the feet were coming off. That's falling apart, too. Let's hope your mouse-wheels hold up.

Okay. I've been using my MX Revolution for 5 years. Literally don't believe me. That's fine.

Okay. I've been using my MX Revolution for 5 years. Literally don't believe me. That's fine.

It's perfectly ok because he's a troll. He made a different thread to trash talk a Corsair case without providing any sort of actual feedback on what they could do better, other than saying that Corsair should send him a case to review.

I use, at work, 8 hours a day or so, a red MX510 from probably 2004.

I've been using it as my work mouse for probably 4-5 years now. Before that I used it at home quite a bit (before I bought an MX1000 for at home).

My MX1000 is still running great after about 8 years. I had to buy a new charging base/transmitter about 2 years ago (got one secondhand on ebay) because the wireless sensor stopped broadcasting more than a foot or so. I also replaced the feet once on my MX1000 (you can order them at slicksurf). I tried an MX1100 but found it jittery compared to my trusty MX1000.

I hear quality control is down at Logitech in recent years though.

It's perfectly ok because he's a troll. He made a different thread to trash talk a Corsair case without providing any sort of actual feedback on what they could do better, other than saying that Corsair should send him a case to review.

Yeah. OP is a known bundle of sticks. Just ignore.

many mice dont have that problem. my new performance mx has not stickers under it. my guess is that you can get most mice above 100$ and not worry about cheap build quality or your problems with oil.

My Rat 7 is better than the logitech hands down. My only complaint, is that dust gets on the lens sometimes, and I have to flip the mouse over and blow it out.
Other than that, it has been the best mouse I have owned.

I wanted to get a Rat 9 for Wireless, but, I hear there are problems with those, and they have been harder to get now.

I recommend the SteelSeries Sensei. Best mouse I have owned and it's tough as steel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back