A more constructive post on my first Macbook Pro

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Since my last post was very "ragey" (I was extremely frustrated trying to fix the volume, sorry Kaos :)), here's my new post on my new macbook pro!

For those that are experiencing low volume in boot camp (ONLY the new Unibody MBPs), here is how to fix it

It's a modified driver for Macbook Unibody.

These are 32 bit drivers (supposedly untested by author but should work)
http://rapidshare.com/files/265858428/FixCirrusAudioVista32.exe

These are the 64 bit drivers that have been tested by the author,
http://rapidshare.com/files/265858429/FixCirrusAudioVista64.exe

The two above are auto installers. This one below is a better fix (removes the annoying SPIDF red light) but only work on 32-bit

http://www.stuffedcow.net/macbook_audio

I've employed the above 64 bit fix for my Win 7 bootcamp so it fixes the audio which is nice but there is still that annoying red light whenever there is sound playing from teh headphone jack.

Your microphone audio is still gonna be fucked with either of these drivers until Apple decides to get their shit together. Why they switched hardware makers and not test it is a mystery to me.

I've emailed the author (Henry Wong) of the stuffedcow fix to see if I can get the drivers he posted to work on a 64-bit operating system.

Another issue on bootcamp is that you cannot lower the brightness of the keyboard in Windows. No idea why but not a real deal breaker to me since I like the look of the illuminated keyboard.

Other than those annoying issue in bootcamp, it seems to run great using Win 7 x64 Ult RTM. Gaming is nice and smooth (have to lower settings but hey, it's mobile gaming :D) I've had a few face palm moments with the trackpad, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I'm a bit curious as to how people have their trackpad set. Do you guys use tap to click? I'm still on the fence on this but it does seem to simplify things (and reduce wear and tear on the trackpad I guess), but is there a way to tap to right click?

In terms of applications,

Has anyone gotten Live Mesh to work on Macs? (www.mesh.com)
Any good alternatives to iTunes? Or is iTunes king on Macs?

I use an external mouse most of the time and 100% of the time when in windows. Not sure if there are others that have tweaked the trackpad for windows use.
As for music playback, I think at the moment itunes is the best. There are some annoying things you'll encounter but there are some great apps to help you get around them.
*for example .flac files >_<

I found that if I boot into Windows, I have to have an external mouse as the tracking is subpar in windows.

In OSX, I can't use an external mouse because something is just "off" about it.

In Windows, using the trackpad is well not an option. I use an external mouse only in Windows and when I am doing extensive audio editing, other than that, I use the trackpad in OSX the unibody trackpad is so nice I don't know any reason you wouldn't want to use it.

You can tap with 2 fingers for right click.

Tap to click is the way to go, works perfectly for me in both SL and 7.

Also, in Win7 x64 Ult my machine has none of the audio or SPDIF issues you have and I hook it up to my external amp/dac in both 7 and SL. The straight Boot Camp SL drivers work perfectly for me.

The one problem I *do* have with BootCamp is that the keyboard light will not actually turn off, and that seems to be pretty widespread, just hoping for an update for that driver to fix it, it's not a deal breaker though, I only use 7 for gaming when I'm plugged in at a LAN Party, so it's fine.

You can tap with 2 fingers for right click.

Tap to click is the way to go, works perfectly for me in both SL and 7.

Also, in Win7 x64 Ult my machine has none of the audio or SPDIF issues you have and I hook it up to my external amp/dac in both 7 and SL. The straight Boot Camp SL drivers work perfectly for me.

The one problem I *do* have with BootCamp is that the keyboard light will not actually turn off, and that seems to be pretty widespread, just hoping for an update for that driver to fix it, it's not a deal breaker though, I only use 7 for gaming when I'm plugged in at a LAN Party, so it's fine.

You really don't have this issue with the latest unibodies? :confused::confused::confused:

Yes, the light not turning off is incredibly annoying. I tried to turn it as low as possible but it still occasionally went to maximum keyboard backlight. I actually turned to completely disabling it at the cost of losing all the apple function buttons. When I updated to win 7 release, I'm just dealing with it. Its more annoying for me because my backlighting on the keyboard is so uneven (bright t key).

Yes, the light not turning off is incredibly annoying. I tried to turn it as low as possible but it still occasionally went to maximum keyboard backlight. I actually turned to completely disabling it at the cost of losing all the apple function buttons. When I updated to win 7 release, I'm just dealing with it. Its more annoying for me because my backlighting on the keyboard is so uneven (bright t key).

Does that happen on the OSX side?

Back