A messload of Vid Cards right now!

Hey, I gots a question. Is refurbished items even worth dealing with? I mean, can you explain what you are technically getting when you get a refurbished item.

Thanks for the info.

Newegg usually ships out functional refurbs, though whether or not you get all the extras (cables, manuals, cds, etc.) with it is all up to how lucky you are. I've ordered several motherboards in the past (along with other components), and about half have come as bare products, while others have come with everything in the regular retail package.

there is a 15% restocking fee with newegg, and like a 14 warranty/guarnatee, but remember you always have the manufacturer's warranty!

crap i screwed up. i got a sapphire radeon 9800 pro for $223 which isn't that great of a deal. I could just shoot myself in the foot. or better yet, one of you guys do it for me :(

i got a sapphire card and it was totally shit, so i got a 5200 which is working great

i got a sapphire card and it was totally shit, so i got a 5200 which is working great

uhh.....you got a refurbished sapphire or just a sapphire card? i could care less if you like the sapphire brand or not, i'm just wanting to know about refurbished things.

refurbished just means there was sumthing wrong with the card or item before and they sned them back to the manufactor to be fixed and they get fixed and come back they just cant really sell em for as much. all refurbished items ive bought have all worked that includes vid cards 3 xbox's and few other misc items.

I have bought refurbs a few times with no trouble, all worked great.

BTW I have RMAd 2 or 3 things and they have never charged me a restock fee, all I had to pay was the shipping back to them.

thanks bleedingcancer. that's what I was wanting to know. So basically, the refurb vid card that i just ordered was like...RMAd back to newegg after someone bought it, then, newegg sent it back to the manufacturer to be repaired. After being repaired by the manufacturer, it is sent back to newegg to be sold as a refurb right?

Thanks for bearing with me guys.

Originally posted by flexnit
Hey, I gots a question. Is refurbished items even worth dealing with? I mean, can you explain what you are technically getting when you get a refurbished item.

Thanks for the info.
Refurbs are only worth dealing with if you understand the risks. The refurb video cards have a much higher defect rate than the other hardware combined.... i want to say~1/3 of them have major malfunctions. You can always cancel your order... just sift through your newegg account to find out how (obviously you must log in). OR you could take advantage of newegg's refurb warranty by accepting your card, testing it immediately (test it with lots of 3d games), if its flaky then return it within the specified time (7 or 14 days for video cards... i forget)

That's odd. Generally refurbished equipment is given more rigorous quality control and actually has lower failure rates than new equipment. It's just that it can't be sold as "new" if it's ever been sent back.

Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
That's odd. Generally refurbished equipment is given more rigorous quality control and actually has lower failure rates than new equipment. It's just that it can't be sold as "new" if it's ever been sent back.
I think Newegg stretches the meaning of the word refurbished ;)

I helped a friend build a system with a refurb mobo and video card from newegg. Both were broken. The mobo was a IS7 that you could tell was fubar and the 9800Pro had problems displaying any image. After looking at that IS7, I'm pretty sure it wasn't checked/repaired at all. Beware of refurbs.

I think Newegg stretches the meaning of the word refurbished

Agreed, the one refurb I bought from newegg left me really pissed off. I bought an Enermax 400w redundant PSU for $90, which is a ridiculosly good deal, and when it came, it had no cables (which was fine), but one of the modules inside it was a 350w! And, to my suprise, Enermax doesn't sell cable sets, so I was really screwed over, especially since I had to pay for return shipping, and it was really heavy to ship.

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
Agreed, the one refurb I bought from newegg left me really pissed off. I bought an Enermax 400w redundant PSU for $90, which is a ridiculosly good deal, and when it came, it had no cables (which was fine), but one of the modules inside it was a 350w! And, to my suprise, Enermax doesn't sell cable sets, so I was really screwed over, especially since I had to pay for return shipping, and it was really heavy to ship.

$90 for a refurbed PS??? Wow........

$90 for any new PS is too much.

It isn't newegg's fault, they getthe item back form the company and the company says its fixed, they don't test it, they just sell it...they are the middle guy.

Originally posted by Nutzy
It isn't newegg's fault, they getthe item back form the company and the company says its fixed, they don't test it, they just sell it...they are the middle guy.
Not everything, newegg seems to call everything "refurbished" whereas a lot of them are returns, open box etc.

Originally posted by Badger_sly
$90 for a refurbed PS??? Wow........

$90 for any new PS is too much.
redundant PSU. = server type, where if one fails the other takes over. Thus, more expensive.

Heh, you won't think $90 is too much for a PSU when your deer catches fire and takes out the rest of your system, or they skimped on the Genmay server's PSU and Genmay dies for 2 days...

Yeah, J/K, but yeah they retail for ~$250, so I was getting a helluva good deal. I think that they really have a responsibility to test things simply because refurbished!=broken, and so if they sell it as refurbished while it's still broken, that's rather fraudulent.

Ya I think that NewEgg should at least power it on or something. Or look at it and make sure all the cables that are a nec. are actually there like the poster above. I got a "refurb" Vid card from them and it was junk and wouldnt work at all, let alone overclock. After taking a 15% hit for returning it cause I didnt want to deal with powercolor anymore I got another refurb. That one worked and worked well. Overclocks nicely too. I think it is luck of the draw. But at NewEgg, your luck isnt so good.

Well first of all buying a powercolor vid card isn't all that great of an idea even if its new. I have had bad luck with a few manufacturers and powercolor is definitely one of them. I have never gotten a bad refurb product from Newegg and I order about 10 refurb mobo's and vid cards a month. I do however stick to quality manufacturers.

I don't regularly have problems with ordering refurbs. However, a few weeks ago, I ordered an MSI KT4 Ultra from Newegg refurbed, that had a shorted out fan connector. As a result, it fried the CPU within seconds. I RMA'd it back to MSI and, to my surprise, it was still under warranty! The stuff they sell isn't that old (thus, most of the time, still under warranty), and you can find some pretty good deals. However, it did fry the cpu, which wasn't under warranty [and wasn't even what it was advertised! fucking trolls!], and so I had to buy another one.

If your an idiot who won't test them first, then buy new. But, if you're smart enough to know that the scorch marks on the card may cause some problems, then save yourself some money and buy refurb.

I got the ATi refurb 9800 pro, the asus p4-800, and a biostar mobo for my dad

Back