A message to users connecting to my W/L network.

Order

Gawd
I have a W/L AP set up on my home network and I really don't mind if some of my neighbors use it every so often as long as they don't abuse it. I think, though, that a lot of the time they don't know they're on my AP. I want to be able to have a message pop up on their computer when they tap into my signal that just tells them that they've entered so and so's network and outline what is and is not acceptable use. Is there a way to do this?

Why not just secure it?

I dont personally see the point of informing users of what is and isnt acceptable on your connection, and not stop them from doing it, just asking them too...

Set up WPA, or a WEP key, turn off SSID broadcasting, use MAC filtering, and no one will bother you much.

Thats my opinion, its just easier to stop them than ask them to stop

If you're leaving your AP unsecured for compatibility reasons, atleast turn off SSID broadcasting. You can also do MAC filtering so that only computers you predefine can connect.

Edit: If you turn off SSID broadcasting, I would recommend making a new SSID name such as 'Home WLAN' or whatever. Just don't keep the old name, because your neighbors computer would probably still be able to connect because they stored your SSID as a AP to connect to.

1) Turning off ssid broadcast doesn't hide your network
2) Mac filtering doesn't prevent anyone from spoofing your mac
3) Leave them both on because they break more things than they are worth

As for informing them of the rules of network use, you could have your router redirect all requests from non-authenticated users to an internal web server that includes a TOS, and an accept button. When the accept button is clicked, that ip/mac combo is added to the routing tables for normal access. There are a number of systems that have been developed to do something similar to this.

Put in Infected Network- Virus and Trojans Detected ;) Trust me it works for the illterate *SP comp noobs!

Back