A man walks up to you with a 1080Ti and a 5700XT and says, "Free. Choose one."

It’s unquestionable that most people here are using their cards for gaming. Casually look through the last 2 pages and let me know how many pick the 5700xt. The poll essentially has already made itself.
Ti - 18
5700 - 11

you voted XT.

1080 Ti. I actually own both, and just love my 1080 Ti. Though, I haven't used the 5700 XT much (got it last week for HTPC gaming PC) the 1080 Ti has served me very well these last few years.

Ti - 18
5700 - 11

you voted XT.

This is slightly off topic, but there isn't exactly a criteria for why people are choosing what.
Through this thread people are choosing one over the other based on best value and also because they own one card or the other card already (meaning if your argument is based on what people would "need" for their "use case" then people are not picking what is necessary for their use case. Rather they are picking based on a team or as was already mentioned other criteria not related to performance, like best value card, or already owning a 1080Ti and just wanting a card to mess with. Or hoping that the 5700xt will get better/longer support, which hate to say it, but it probably won't AND it's voting against your use case if you're a gamer).

For me personally I already own the Radeon VII, so I don't need a second render card. I answered the question like the card I would received from this would be my only card and I couldn't sell it. But, if it was a secondary card like others have answered, then obviously I'd take the 1080Ti regardless of if I could resell it or not. But people aren't even thinking this through. They're picking for "any reason". Which is fine, but it's very not scientific (and certainly not choosing based on use case).

If we wanted to put this down to brass tacks, anyone with a brain would pick the 1080Ti (including me) just because it's worth more. Then sell it if they don't want it and buy other other card and keep the profit.

This is slightly off topic, but there isn't exactly a criteria for why people are choosing what.
Through this thread people are choosing one over the other based on best value and also because they own one card or the other card already (meaning if your argument is based on what people would "need" for their "use case" then people are not picking what is necessary for their use case. Rather they are picking based on a team or as was already mentioned other criteria not related to performance, like best value card, or already owning a 1080Ti and just wanting a card to mess with. Or hoping that the 5700xt will get better/longer support, which hate to say it, but it probably won't AND it's voting against your use case if you're a gamer).

For me personally I already own the Radeon VII, so I don't need a second render card. I answered the question like the card I would received from this would be my only card and I couldn't sell it. But, if it was a secondary card like others have answered, then obviously I'd take the 1080Ti regardless of if I could resell it or not. But people aren't even thinking this through. They're picking for "any reason". Which is fine, but it's very not scientific (and certainly not choosing based on use case).

If we wanted to put this down to brass tacks, anyone with a brain would pick the 1080Ti (including me) just because it's worth more. Then sell it if they don't want it and buy other other card and keep the profit.

I totaled it up for fun to show your 90 to 95% Ti choice you pulled out of your ass was bullshit.

I totaled it up for fun to show your 90 to 95% Ti choice you pulled out of your ass was bullshit.

And my response is that people vote outside of their own best interest.

Edit: in case you didn’t get that, this could be summarized as: do you want 1 million dollars or so you want $800k? If you pick $800k then you’re voting outside of your best interest. If for no other reason alone, the 1080ti is worth more. There is zero reason for anyone to pick the 5700xt. Sell the 1080ti if you don’t want it and take the 5700xt plus cash rather than just the 5700xt.

Last edited:
And my response is that people vote outside of their own best interest.

Edit: in case you didn’t get that, this could be summarized as: do you want 1 million dollars or so you want $800k? If you pick $800k then you’re voting outside of your best interest. If for no other reason alone, the 1080ti is worth more. There is zero reason for anyone to pick the 5700xt. Sell the 1080ti if you don’t want it and take the 5700xt plus cash rather than just the 5700xt.

Cool story bro. Can we include this in your poll? Since your data is so scientific and all.

Wouldn’t waste 2 sec. in taking a 1080ti. I think nvidia just offers a better value.

There is no discussion the 1080Ti is better. Take it use it for 3 months, resell it as new and buy an Ampere card this spring. There will be a huge gap between Ampere and Turing or Navi in a way that how good is your graphics card now doesn't matter..

Never in GPU history has a card maintained its resell value better than the 1080ti, even 3 years after its release.

Never in GPU history has a card maintained its resell value better than the 1080ti, even 3 years after its release.

I dont know about that my 290X sold for quite a bit due to Bitcoin mining.

I'd have this hypothetical fellow put them both behind his back, and have me pick a hand. :D Because, who cares. It's a free card. I'll stick it in an available box, and call it a day. Who on this site doesn't have more than one PC? :p

You realize multigpu sucks right? Microstutter (or worse) is a very very common issue with multigpu with both vendors even when it was more supported.

There’s a reason I watercool, bios mod and hard mod the best single card rather than run multigpu.
Telling that to a guy on the forum who has a history of running insane multi gpu rigs...

I dont know about that my 290X sold for quite a bit due to Bitcoin mining.
Without the mining factor inflating prices, but purely on its merits as a gaming card. The 1080ti is unique in that it has not depreciated much well after the mining boom was over.
I wanted to buy one last year but waited until the RTX cards were out. Bought a 2080 because it was slightly cheaper than the existing stocks of 1080tis!

You realize multigpu sucks right? Microstutter (or worse) is a very very common issue with multigpu with both vendors even when it was more supported.

There’s a reason I watercool, bios mod and hard mod the best single card rather than run multigpu.

Telling that to a guy on the forum who has a history of running insane multi gpu rigs...

Last time I ran multi-gpu was when I had a pair of HD7970s. AMD fixed the microstutter in their drivers quite a long time ago.

No idea if nVidia still has that problem or not.

Without the mining factor inflating prices, but purely on its merits as a gaming card. The 1080ti is unique in that it has not depreciated much well after the mining boom was over.
I wanted to buy one last year but waited until the RTX cards were out. Bought a 2080 because it was slightly cheaper than the existing stocks of 1080tis!

Dont really understand why people are paying so much for a several year old card that likely was used pretty hard. I'd rather get a card with a warranty either a 2000 series or a 5700XT for the money people want for a used 1080ti. Of course the price of new cards being so high is likely what has inflated the used card prices.

Dont really understand why people are paying so much for a several year old card that likely was used pretty hard. I'd rather get a card with a warranty either a 2000 series or a 5700XT for the money people want for a used 1080ti. Of course the price of new cards being so high is likely what has inflated the used card prices.

the reality is most mining cards weren't really that abused if the person knew what they were doing and actually cared about being power efficient.. the ones you had to worry about were the uneducated ones thinking they were making a quick buck and that's where the gamble is when buying those cards. what really inflated the prices on some cards is the fact that even in the current gen lineup, there's only 2 cards faster than the 1080ti and one that's about equal and still costs more than the 1080ti and isn't anymore power efficient so you're basically buying ray tracing support at that point. and last but not least another point to consider is that Nvidia did a huge buy back of 10 series cards to try to get them off the shelves as quick as possible after the 2000 series launched which normally isn't uncommon but when your next gen is barely faster than your previous gen for twice the price it matters.

A man walks up to you with a 1080Ti and a 5700XT and says, "Free. Choose one."

itsatrap.jpg

one that's about equal and still costs more than the 1080ti and isn't anymore power efficient

2070 Super? Seem them on sale for $450 recently, which is about the same as what the 1080Tis are going for still and they perform about the same or better with RTX features, uses considerably less power at full load (~25% less), and will have a warrenty at least.

If I was this guy, about to give someone one of these two video cards, and then saw this discussion, I'd put them back in my pockets, and walk the other way. :p

I'd take the RX 5700. It's newer, it's going to have really solid open source drivers in Linux within a few months, it'll eventually have solid OpenCL through ROCm, it uses less power, and for my 1440p60 gaming/streaming stuff in Windows it's just fine. Plus if I want CUDA I'm lucky enough to have a GTX Titan X...

Because you could find it new for a periode of time at the price of a 2070super/2080 now.
Another interesting card is the Titan X Maxwell 12GB of RAM you could buy some 5 years ago at the price of a RTX 2080Ti today.
And 980Ti 6GB, 5 years ago, at the price of a RTX 2060super/2070 now.
Those cards haven't lost big value until now.
At AMD the interesting line are the 290/290x/390/390X 4/8GB. For instance the 390 8GB could be found 5 years ago at the price of a GTX 1660 6GB today. Apart from the power consumption those cards have quite the same performance, so you wouldn't want to replace it with a graphics card of the same price today.

Because you could find it new for a periode of time at the price of a 2070super/2080 now.
Another interesting card is the Titan X Maxwell 12GB of RAM you could buy some 5 years ago at the price of a RTX 2080Ti today.
And 980Ti 6GB, 5 years ago, at the price of a RTX 2060super/2070 now.
Those cards haven't lost big value until now.
At AMD the interesting line are the 290/290x/390/390X 4/8GB. For instance the 390 8GB could be found 5 years ago at the price of a GTX 1660 6GB today. Apart from the power consumption those cards have quite the same performance, so you wouldn't want to replace it with a graphics card of the same price today.

My 980TI is STILL in use on one of my older rigs. At 1080P, it usually kicks out 60FPS or more in most games.

Back