A man walks up to you with a 1080Ti and a 5700XT and says, "Free. Choose one."

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by notarat, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

Ti - 18
    5700 - 11

you voted XT.

2. mazeroth

mazeroth Limp Gawd

1080 Ti. I actually own both, and just love my 1080 Ti. Though, I haven't used the 5700 XT much (got it last week for HTPC gaming PC) the 1080 Ti has served me very well these last few years.

3. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

This is slightly off topic, but there isn't exactly a criteria for why people are choosing what.
    Through this thread people are choosing one over the other based on best value and also because they own one card or the other card already (meaning if your argument is based on what people would "need" for their "use case" then people are not picking what is necessary for their use case. Rather they are picking based on a team or as was already mentioned other criteria not related to performance, like best value card, or already owning a 1080Ti and just wanting a card to mess with. Or hoping that the 5700xt will get better/longer support, which hate to say it, but it probably won't AND it's voting against your use case if you're a gamer).

For me personally I already own the Radeon VII, so I don't need a second render card. I answered the question like the card I would received from this would be my only card and I couldn't sell it. But, if it was a secondary card like others have answered, then obviously I'd take the 1080Ti regardless of if I could resell it or not. But people aren't even thinking this through. They're picking for "any reason". Which is fine, but it's very not scientific (and certainly not choosing based on use case).

If we wanted to put this down to brass tacks, anyone with a brain would pick the 1080Ti (including me) just because it's worth more. Then sell it if they don't want it and buy other other card and keep the profit.

Armenius likes this.
  4. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

I totaled it up for fun to show your 90 to 95% Ti choice you pulled out of your ass was bullshit.

5. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

5700XT seems appealing for what it is. I'd put it in the kids gaming box!

Armenius likes this.
  6. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

Do kids gaming boxes count?

7. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

And my response is that people vote outside of their own best interest.

Edit: in case you didn’t get that, this could be summarized as: do you want 1 million dollars or so you want $800k? If you pick $800k then you’re voting outside of your best interest. If for no other reason alone, the 1080ti is worth more. There is zero reason for anyone to pick the 5700xt. Sell the 1080ti if you don’t want it and take the 5700xt plus cash rather than just the 5700xt.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  8. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

Cool story bro. Can we include this in your poll? Since your data is so scientific and all.

UnknownSouljer likes this.
  9. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

Wouldn’t waste 2 sec. in taking a 1080ti. I think nvidia just offers a better value.

10. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

Heck yeah! Gotta prepare them for the big boy gaming boxes! My kids have pretty decent rig.

Maddness likes this.
  11. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

And more vram. Plus it's worth more.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    UnknownSouljer likes this.
  12. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

1080ti. Sell it and pocket the cash.

13. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

There is no discussion the 1080Ti is better. Take it use it for 3 months, resell it as new and buy an Ampere card this spring. There will be a huge gap between Ampere and Turing or Navi in a way that how good is your graphics card now doesn't matter..

UnknownSouljer and Auer like this.