A made a booboo....could use some advice.

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Well, I got all the parts in for my first WC setup. Bcause I didnt want to guess on hose length and whatnot, I set it up wiht my PC fully put together. Not on of course...i was gunna set it all up then do a 24 hour leaktest and be done... but I screwed up.

On of the worm drive clamps on my radatior, I tightened to far back on the barb, and it was essential useless. I threw on my system and water started to poor put. I imeadidly shot it off, hurries to get my pump out of the case and get the hoses off, and empty the sytsem.

The rad is mounted on the back of my case, so it poored over my video card and pooled at the bottem of my case. But, I didnt have UV or anything, so I am having a hard time spotting if these is still any water....any tips?\

More importatly, if something gets wet, will it work again as long as its fully dry? Needlless to say, I have the kit leaktesting on my bed now, and its been good for a hour so far. Atleast this was a good learning experiance, I just fear it may also be an expensive one.

If you have a heatlamp, now is the time to use it. 48 hours is about right. Just heat up everything inside your case as much as possible...

Yes, or just put a normal fan heater beside your case, if all else fails, put the case in view of open sunlight, or use a hairdryer, or put it ontop of a heating vent in your house.

Electronics will work perfectly fine if wetted and then dried, as long as current wasn't going through it at the time. Nothing can corrode that fast. Year ago, a water pipe on the floor above me burst and it the water came through the ceiling onto my PC. Luckily it was off and not plugged in at the time. After a few days of drying I could use it again.

I've heard that you can take parts that got water on them and submerge them in alcohol. This displaces the water and the alcohol then dries very quickly to get you back up and running quicker.

Sideroxylon said:
I've heard that you can take parts that got water on them and submerge them in alcohol. This displaces the water and the alcohol then dries very quickly to get you back up and running quicker.

im not sure I like the idea of submerging a $500 video card. I cannot find water anywere, but I will use the hairdryer method and hope for the best.

this is a good reason for using distilled water. pure h20 doesn't conduct electricity. it's going to get a little contaminated by being bottled in a plastic jug, and some more by being in your cooling system, but it's not going to get contaminated just by those enough to cause a short. It also doesn't cause corrosion (except of course for rust on ferrous metals).

If there's anything socketed on the setup, make very sure there's no water left in the lead holes. I worked at a company long ago that made cleaning machines for PCBs. That was the cardinal rule, CHECK THE SOCKETS before you power up.

Actually pure water does still conduct, but it's conductivity is about 1000 times less than that of typical tap water. That and the fact that it doesn't leave mineral deposits behind are the reasons we like it :)

ok, I am having a really odd issue now. I decided I was just gunna test out fans as such to see what made it. I unplugged my hard drives, cd roms, mobo ect. Six (2 front, 4 new ones on radatior) fans and a cold cathode light are all thats hooked up. I jump pin 3 and 4, and plug it in. Lights flicker and fans buz, then it goes off. I unplugged the 4 new fans and still no go. I took off the cathode, that was on the bottem of my case so it made sence that was toasted. So, wiht just two fans, my PSU fires up. I plug in a third fan, and it works, but I notice my front fans get quieter. I plug in a fourth fan, works. Plug in a 5th fan, shuts off. Odd. I test each fan individually, they all work fine alone, but once I hit 5 fans boom, it shots off. THere is no way my PSU got wet...anyone got a clue as to what could be going on here?

well, its been a few hours now, you would think woudl still be dry. THe front fans, no way. They are on the outside of the case, th didnt get wet. The 4 fans on the radatior im sure all got wet, but that doesnt expalin why each fan works individually, but when I get a few of them daisy chained, the whole system looses power.

ThomasE66 said:
Actually pure water does still conduct, but it's conductivity is about 1000 times less than that of typical tap water. That and the fact that it doesn't leave mineral deposits behind are the reasons we like it :)

Q: Does pure water conduct electricity?

Water itself contains 1*10-7 mol/Liter positivly charged H+ and the same amount of negativly charged HO- (ph 7) leading to a conductivity of aprocimatly 0,055 µSiemens/cm (18,2 MOhm )for pure Water at 25 °C (compared with rainwater 35 - 100 µSiemens/cm dependent on Air Polution, River (Rhein Germany ) 300 - 745 µSiemens/cm ,Sea 42 000µSiemens/cm

Answered by: Ralf Biehl, Ph.D Physics, University of Mainz, Institut für Physik

So looks like you're correct...but at 18.2M Ohm, I'd call it a non-conductor. ;) :D

No mineral deposits is a definate plus...no cloggin up radiator passages!

Just tried two fans and a cathode I had sitting on my shelf. Each extra fan they got slower, and the cathode killed the power. Now, nothing that got wet is attached to the PSU, and it didtn get wet itself. I woudl go test it in another machines, but I dont want to toast it if there is something wrong with the PSU.

Yeah you should be alright, my friend's WC leaked and water got all over his machine. He let his machine sit outside in the summer sun for the rest of the day. Then later that night he put everything back together and it worked perfectly.

PSU is out of the case, still not working. Anyone have an idea as to how it could have fried? THe cold cathode at the bottem of m case coulda still been wet inside, but when i turned it on, could that make a PSU do what mine is doing? After all, its not totally dead, just cant handle more than 4 fans

might just be a case of bad timing, the PS decided it was time to give up at the same time your water probs happened.

check your horoscope. see when a good 'puter work time is for you. ;)

I have wanted to get a new PSU, but damn these PCP&C's dont come cheap. I am just afaid o get a new one and plug it into this system.

If something is fried in your system it shouldn't fry the PSU by using the PSU to power it

it might be that each of the four wet fans has a weak short, meaning it passes way more power than it should, but not enough to trip the PSU fuse. Four of those and a CC might be enough.

Little Grabbi said:
it might be that each of the four wet fans has a weak short, meaning it passes way more power than it should, but not enough to trip the PSU fuse. Four of those and a CC might be enough.

Thats what I thought, but like I said I tried a few fans I had sitting on a shelf and even with those it can't hack it. The PSU is definatly toast.

There was probably a short in your system somewhere, or the water caused it, or exacerbated it. A PSU, when detecting a short, tries to ground itself out. Maybe it failed. Trust me, I've had an Antec Trupower PSU short on me before due to the components it was connected to.

Well it was prolly from the intial power on. esp if u didn't dry your pc enough. since u said that the water dumped down on your vid card directly u need to dry it our really good which means remove the heatsink and fan off of it and any other peices that come off and then letting it dry

Getting some water or liquid on a component is one thing having the thing drenched and/or covered in water is another:
a.) water and liquid will absorb into the pcb of any component
and
b.) if just a little liquid gets on a card is not a big deal becuase it doesn't get under heatsinks and what not. which is not true with getting it drenched or submerged.

This happened to me when my vid card got water on it while it was on .... didn't fry anything till about the thrid restart becuase of instability and blew my mobo cuase there was water under my vid cards heatsink

Back