A Look at Project Scorpio's Development Kit

monkeymagick

[H]News
Microsoft's very own, Larry Hyrb aka Major Nelson, takes us on a quick tour of the Project Scorpio development kit. Taking input from developers during last years E3, the kit boosts some extra processing power, 24GBs of RAM, and a 1TB SSD for developers to work with. For the developers that need all the power they can get, the kit is stackable with up to 10 consoles with air vents on the sides and back to help with cooling. Not bad for a crummy box.

Further details including the name and final specs for the retail console will be announced during Microsofts E3 Press Conference on Sunday, June 11th.

Project Scorpio will be the first console with 6 teraflops of power, which will empower the world’s greatest game creators to fully embrace true 4K gaming without sacrificing quality, generate premier VR experiences, without sacrificing performance, and putting greater graphic fidelity in the hands of the world’s best game creators.

I'm trying to catch up with this whole VR thing, so I could have missed it, but: Do we know already if Scorpio is supposed to power screens only or also 4K headsets (not the Pimax 4K necessarily, but maybe the next Rift and Vive)? It looks like one or both of those will be using this 4K Samsung screen: http://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-vr-display-nearly-3-5x-pixels-rift-vive/

...and since I haven't bought a v. card yet for my new PC, and I'm wondering what I'm going to need in terms of connectors...hmmmm. One of the newly announce MSI GTX 1080 Ti's sports a USB-C...hmmmm.

I suppose I'd better pay close attention next week.

the kit boosts some extra processing power, 24GBs of RAM, and a 1TB SSD for developers to work with.

My bet is on one-half to two-thirds the dev kit RAM amount. Dev kits have the extra RAM for the debug environment.

I'm trying to catch up with this whole VR thing, so I could have missed it, but: Do we know already if Scorpio is supposed to power screens only or also 4K headsets (not the Pimax 4K necessarily, but maybe the next Rift and Vive)? It looks like one or both of those will be using this 4K Samsung screen: http://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-vr-display-nearly-3-5x-pixels-rift-vive/

...and since I haven't bought a v. card yet for my new PC, and I'm wondering what I'm going to need in terms of connectors...hmmmm. One of the newly announce MSI GTX 1080 Ti's sports a USB-C...hmmmm.

I suppose I'd better pay close attention next week.

Microsoft has been pretty mum on anything VR related for Xbox One/Project Scorpio.

The current VR devices use HDMI and USB (though not USB-C as of yet).

Really enjoyed this video. Great info. Wish Sony was more transparent like this.

As an owner of the gaming pc in my sig ( built I dunno how many years ago ), an XB1 and a PS4 Pro, I will be getting the Scorpio. Its gonna be the best console in a long time. I know the PC master race guys on here wont understand but it'll be great for what it is. There are just some games and types of games that always are more fun on console.

Looking forward to E3! Hope it doesn't disappoint, something tells me it wont :)

announced with 8GB 320MB/S GDDR5 for the system

That's kind of disappointing. Unless the debug environment really needs all that extra RAM, or Microsoft is playing the long game with dev kits as to hint at further hardware refreshes involving more RAM, I don't get why the dev console needs 3x the RAM of the retail console.

Scorpio should be 12GB GDDR5 on a 384bit bus. Its also pictured with 12 GDDR5 chips.

announced with 8GB 320MB/S GDDR5 for the system

That's kind of disappointing. Unless the debug environment really needs all that extra RAM, or Microsoft is playing the long game with dev kits as to hint at further hardware refreshes involving more RAM, I don't get why the dev console needs 3x the RAM of the retail console.

It's 12GB. Confirmed.

"We spoke to the Devs..."

I guess Mattrick didn't bother last time?

When you debug, you have all optimizations disabled. What does that mean? The size of everything grows by a good three to four times. So yeah, Dev kits need much more RAM.

6 teraflops on a dedicated hardware platform is the equivalent of (pulls out of ass???) 9 teraflops on non dedicated hardware. That little shit-box, with its 8 shitty cores is gonna kick some ass!

6 teraflops of power, which will empower the world’s greatest game creators to fully embrace true 4K gaming without sacrificing quality, generate premier (sic) VR experiences, without sacrificing performance,…

Suuure. Just like XB1 was made for premium 1080p.

6 teraflops on a dedicated hardware platform is the equivalent of (pulls out of ass???) 9 teraflops on non dedicated hardware. That little shit-box, with its 8 shitty cores is gonna kick some ass!
Halo will have not one, but two Master Chiefs.

When you debug, you have all optimizations disabled. What does that mean? The size of everything grows by a good three to four times. So yeah, Dev kits need much more RAM.

That's a given, but dev kits for prior generations units only had up to twice as much RAM. So either the debug environment for Scorpio is bloated or devs are possibly going to be able to do more with the dev kits.

Back