A look at my schools new datacenter.

palindrome

Limp Gawd
Well my school just created a new datacenter and here are some pictures.

Before:
oneill-12.jpg

oneill-4.jpg

oneill-9.jpg

oneill-7.jpg

oneill-5.jpg

During:
Chapel-1.jpg

Chapel-4.jpg

chapel-11.jpg

move-4.jpg

move-1.jpg

After:
move-7.jpg

chapel-6.jpg

chapel-8.jpg

Right when I saw the church interior I was thinking Boston College. :D

Stained glass and LCDs, looks nice.

Sweet! I like how they used some old church...the stained glass gives it a neat affect!

wow...so is the datacenter in a church? explain the setup, if you can...looks pretty cool!

lol? Just for a school? (well, college) You could host so much stuff off of that if there was a DS3 or better uplink. It looks big enough to be a mirror hub that routes and hosts an entire metro area. What is all that being used for.. if you hosted, you could make millions. ^_^

oh wait wait.. I'm going to make a joke. Wait for it, wait for it. Ok here it is... Godlike. rofl

That is rather the serious insane pwnage right there.

It's obviously for a Shurch. A School-Church...i'm sorry..:( lol

Scorpionjwp said:
Gosh I'm still drooling about the neatness of the wiring of the whole thing.

Yea the wiring looks well done. Better then I'm use to seeing. Anyway while the windows and stuff looks cool I'm thinking the high roof would make it more expensive to run because it would cost more to cool. Still looks sweet though.

jeffmoss26 said:
wow...so is the datacenter in a church? explain the setup, if you can...looks pretty cool!

Easy to explain. Why a huge datacenter full of servers and networking equipment at a church?

JESUS SAVES!

(and saves a lot, it seems)

There obviously situated in a Church so the government doesn't find out about them and their illegal 'warez appz lol!'

BillLeeLee said:
Right when I saw the church interior I was thinking Boston College. :D

Stained glass and LCDs, looks nice.

Not to mention the sign in the upper right corner of the last picture. ;)

Well, the old datacenter was overcrowded (3000sqf, as opposed to the new one 4200sqf i believe), and lacked a backup generator and as you can see, the wiring was a mess. So, when BC recently aquired about 43 acres of land across the street from the main campus, they inhereted 5-6 buildings. This building, I believe used to be either a high school, or part of St. Johns seminary, and therefore its reflected in the building style. I think now it is being renovated to offices, and this particular chapel was not going to be used.

definetly a kick ass datacenter... I also love the idea of the converted church :)

Some people must have had a good few months ;)

thats amazing. so those machines are dedicated to only fold right? :p

not sure if i would like that many windows in my data center, yes it may look nice but data centers are most the time all about security

holy shit, that is awesome!
I would have LOVED to be in on something like that while I was going to school and working there. Hell, I would LOVE to be on it right now :D
not to far these days from Boston. I am in Philly as opposed to OK :D

Very nice it beats a lot of the rooms I have seen. That is just great. Truly [H] :eek:

KM

RiDDLeRThC said:
not sure if i would like that many windows in my data center, yes it may look nice but data centers are most the time all about security

yep, that would never fly in miami

hah here is a quote from bash.org that I thought of when I saw this...
#128114 +(4778)- [X]

<Firefly> Time for my prayers:
<Firefly> Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
<Firefly> May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
<Firefly> May j00 0wn earth just like j00 0wn heaven.
<Firefly> Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
<Firefly> And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz, just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
<Firefly> Please don't give us root access on some poor d00d'z box when we're too pissed off to think about what's right and wrong, and if you could keep the fbi off our backs, we'd appreciate it.
<Firefly> For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Really cool! I might get bored someday and walk to BC (I goto Wentworth Tech), be really cool to tell a friend that theres a data center in a church. :cool:

Can you get some front shots of those Cisco Catalyst 6500 boxes so I can see what modules are in them. Also how many of the serial numbers on them begin with "SAD" (just doing a "show mod" command is probably the easiest way to get them)

I only ask because I work at one of the factories where that stuff gets built and tested, and I'm always interested in seeing how its deployed in the field.

RiDDLeRThC said:
Well if someone were to break in, they would need a crane to get anything out of there.. I think so long as they had a few people on overnight security they would be all right. After all, who breaks into a church...

If it is a datacenter, it should be running 24/7/365 so there is at least someone on the console room in case anything happens. They could spot anyone trying to break in...

Also, the windows seems a bit high so the only interest in breaking is to steal a few components or get access to data.

BTW, very very sexy setup there. My workplace datacenter isn't as nice as this one.

Well I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't pick up a 300lb server, climb up a wall, and fit it through a 20" window all while evading the security system and the people who monitor it.

I'm sure you are thinking about people stealing data, but remember, who's going to think a data center is in a church? ;)

Well I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't pick up a 300lb server, climb up a wall, and fit it through a 20" window all while evading the security system and the people who monitor it.

I'm sure you are thinking about people stealing data, but remember, who's going to think a data center is in a church? ;)

And to steal data, you need to know exactly where the data is stored, which is not obvious for someone who never visited the datacenter. Even for someone who know everything about the racks and the parts, there is often 5-10 racks with the same faceplate.

Unless it's storing national security data (which is a different league), I won't worry about this and just make sure nobody break in the room.

Back