A little software that can lock my PC when I'm away

It would help if you could tell us what OS you are using, because XP and 2000 has this feature built in, and we could easily tell you.

just use the screensaver with password lock

..or find him in the parking lot one night after work

For WinXP, use the Windows key + L.

You can select this on any NT-based OS from the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu (don't know how far back Win+L goes).

The screen saver is "On resume, password protect."

Note that all of the above require that you have a password on the user account.

lomn75 said:
Note that all of the above require that you have a password on the user account.

I'm very sorry, there is no password assigned to the account and I'm not allowed to modify it.

HONG KONGer said:
I'm very sorry, there is no password assigned to the account and I'm not allowed to modify it.
That's what you ought to address, then. Windows authentication is intended to be a comprehensive solution, and it's what should be used.

If you're not allowed to have a password on your account, I can guarantee that any other system password program (if they exist, of which I'm skeptical) will make your admin very unhappy.

A fallback solution is to encrypt files. I'd suggest looking into PGP, or as a fallback, password-protected ZIP archives and the like.

//edit: this wouldn't protect against deletion, my bad. You need to deal with the asinine no-password policy.

ermm if you really think you're going to get in trouble for adding a password.... then maybe just inform your supervisor that someone is deleting your files....?

how about you just save all your stuff on a flash drive or external hard drive depending on the file size, then take it with you or hide it when you are out of the office?

use a combination of two things:

1) a usb drive large enough for your files, and take it with you whenever leaving your computer.
2) a strong kick directed between the legs of the ass-hat that keeps deleting your stuff. steel-toed boots and toes pointed up are highly recommended.

then politely goto the system admin and request a global password policy. if denied, then talk to your boss and human resources rep. (h.r. does have its uses in certain situations)

D00d...just catch him in the act...set up a webcam pointing at your computer hidden away somewhere and when you catch him, have the vid run in WMP looping with a message stating that if he messes with your computer again that you'll get his ass fired or something...that's what I'd do....of use it as blackmail...BWAHAHAHAHA...

Anyways...try searching at majorgeeks.com...I think they might have something useful like what you're looking for...

Back