A little OC causing mouse to "stick"?

Raycaster

Limp Gawd
I apologize up front for posting here due to the fact my P5B vanilla board and Dual Core 1.8Ghz is really old news but I'm stuck until the piggybank gets a little fatter...

Anyways, simple problem.

OC'n the 1.8 6300 Dual Core just to a simple 2.3Ghz because my machine is very erratic and will run 3.1Ghz for weeks than only 2.8 and than only 2.3 etc. IT's a mystery and I've bugged the forums enough so 2.3Ghz is fine until the next machine is built.

The problem seems to come back to my USB for some reason, specifically my mouse. As mentioned my machine (water cooled btw) will run 3.1Ghz happily for awhile and then all of a sudden I'll have no mouse. Win7 will beep if I unplug and plug back in but the mouse and many other mice I've tried won't work.

I've settled at 2.3Ghz and now all of a sudden my mouse is starting to "stick". My pointer will just stop moving like the machine is at 400% usage with zero priority to the mouse. It is not a physical problem with the mouse. I can be simply surfing the net with no disc use and the mouse will start sticking.

Any ideas? Bad USB settings? Maybe I will try a pS2 mouse for now...

thx guys.

BTW, ZERO mouse problems if running standard speed.

Not enough power for the usb devices when you overclock maybe? Like you said, trying a ps2 mouse may be a good troubleshooting step.

when things get unstable the CPU can start dropping or recalculating operations over and over until they come out right. its most likely a timing/frequency/synching problem instead of usb voltage.

what is a 'dual core 1.8ghz'? there are a dozen processors that could fit that description.

OC'n the 1.8 6300 Dual Core just to a simple 2.3Ghz because my machine is very erratic and will run 3.1Ghz for weeks than only 2.8 and than only 2.3 etc. IT's a mystery and I've bugged the forums enough so 2.3Ghz is fine until the next machine is built.

what are your temperatures? temperature degradation over time would cause that. ive experienced the exact same thing with the northbridge cooler popped off one side of its mount making the chip heat up to like 180*. it sounds like you are pushing your system much farther then it wants to go.

I had the same damn problem with the comp in my sig. I just raised the voltage a bit on the cpu and the problem went away.

Its a old e6300 1.86Ghz I believe.

It may be a heat problem but I don;t believe so. The original SB fan dies so I replaced it with a bigger VGA cooler and the NB has the stock Cooler with an added Fan wedged above the Video Card to draw heat away from it.

I could raise the voltages, your talking cpu right?

what are your voltages? what are your temperatures? are you even looking at them or arbitrarily changing settings just to see what happens?

Back