A little input on a build for my friend...

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
A good friend of mine has asked me to build him a PC. He will mainly be using it for light office work, some low-end video editing (think dumping old VHS home videos and cleaning them up) and later on, maybe some gaming. Total budget is $800-$1000 for the hardware, which I told him was probably too much. He gave me a 2 month window to buy everything so I've been picking stuff up when it goes on sale. So far I have:

Case - Fractal Design Define S ($50 on sale)

Power Supply - Seasonic FOCUS 550w Gold ($40 AR)

SSD - WD Blue 500GB ($120 on sale)

Total: $210

What I need now is a CPU, MOBO and RAM. I'm going to budget $150 later on for the GPU, which would put us at $360 right now. He wanted me to use a $350 Amazon gift card he's had lying around forever so I figured I would grab the rest with it. I haven't seen a decent deal on any of these on Amazon since I've been looking and I have a week to get the rest of the stuff. He lives out of town and we're meeting up next Saturday.

I'm eyeing the i3-8100 ($120) with it's 4-cores. I could step up to the i5-8400 ($180) but am doubtful he will ever use the other 2 cores. Thoughts?

I'd like to get a motherboard for around $100. His case will take a full ATX so any size will work. I've had mediocre luck with MSI and Gigabyte in the past and have used a lot of ASRock and ASUS boards recently. Any recommendations?

Lastly, since DDR4 is obscenely expensive now I told him he would be best off getting a 2x4GB pair for now and, if later on feeling the need for 16GB, grab another 2x4GB matched set. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I think I would be going for more ram, an ssd (video editing is bandwidth intensive) and the i5 only if it fits the budget(for compression) 16 gig of ram is kind of the minimum for video editing, even if you have to go a slower ram speed, it’s worth the compromise.

Back