A little help for my next DC build

Raychem

n00b
Hey there to all those that can help,

It is time for me to move on from my current setup. I have been running for the last 4-5 years an EVGA SR2 with x5670 @ 4.2 ghz on water and average 70-80k ppd on this setup. I have the need to upgrade now to another 2p system. E5-26** -v3 processors are reasonable for me in price now and I wold like to make a jump. This is pretty much a WCG dedicated computer that runs 24/7. What I am asking for is a little bit advice on which way to go. I would like a 12+ core per CPU system on a 2p board. I usually purchase Supermicro boards for server CPUs. But there has been so much change in the CPU landscape in the last 1-2 years that it is impossible for me to look up all possible combinations and how they would perform. I am looking to see what some recommendations would be. Power use is not really a concern for me but I would still like to be as efficient as possible within reason. I know running 2 180 W TDP processors means at least 500-600 watts at the wall which is OK for me. So please fell fee to comment away. Budget will be $1,500 for CPUs and Motherboard. I will reuse my case, water cooling setup and 1200 watt PSU so I can spend where it will benefit the new setup most.

I would build a Threadripper 2990WX system with a budget of $1500 for MB/CPU or two Threadripper 1950X systems. You can have an almost complete 1950X setup for around $1300. The CPUs go on sale for $450 all the time.

If it's dedicated WCG cruncher, with $1500 you can build 3 Ryzen systems quite easy which will net you about 66k Boinc points per day average. BUT before you do that
x5670 @ 4.2 ghz on water and average 70-80k ppd on this setup
I'm assuming you're talking about WCG points ... not Boinc points. And I also assume you're running Windows.
Switch to linux to see what happen, I'd guess you'll average 130k-170k WCG points per day if not more. Those x5670 aren't bad yet, just not efficient any more.

Why I suggested Ryzen? Because it's cheap to build, and more efficient and produce the same amount of points if not higher.
I'm not anyone's fan boy. Whichever gives me the best output and efficiencies then I'll go with that. Right now AMD is winning that battle.

Too long to read: I have Ryzens / V3s /V4s / Threadrippers ... and I can rank them like this for WCG... I don't have any gold/platinum xeon yet so I'll leave them out of the ranks.

A 2990WX will out do a dual V4s .. even if it's 72 threads. 2990WX came very close with dual platinum 112 threads.
A dual V4s will lose to 2990WX but will win against 1950X
A 1950X will lose to a dual V4s ... but will win against a dual V3s
Dual V3s will still beat any Ryzen 1700/1700x/1800x/2700 ... etc.

I would build a Threadripper 2990WX system with a budget of $1500 for MB/CPU

Skillz, 2990WX alone is $1700 :ROFLMAO:

He's just factoring in the healthy "budget enhancement" we should all plan for in our builds, :D

I also say to go Threadripper. I have 5 now and am building my sixth next week. There is no comparison for bang for the buck. For your budget, I'd recommend a 2950X, unless you find the 1950X for a really good price (not hard to do). My 2950X using modest PBO settings (250/250/300) can self overclock to ~3.8 on all threads on air (Noctua NH-U14S w/2nd fan) and at that speed is faster than my 4790K's at 4.2GHz.

I purchased nothing but Intel for years until I purchased my first TR system this past summer (my last AMD build had been an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ in 2005). I can't see myself paying the Intel tax again for the foreseeable future. AMD has really knocked it out of the park with their CPU's as of late. I hope they continue to do so.

If it's dedicated WCG cruncher, with $1500 you can build 3 Ryzen systems quite easy which will net you about 66k Boinc points per day average. BUT before you do that

I'm assuming you're talking about WCG points ... not Boinc points. And I also assume you're running Windows.
Switch to linux to see what happen, I'd guess you'll average 130k-170k WCG points per day if not more. Those x5670 aren't bad yet, just not efficient any more.

VietOZ,

Yes the points total I listed were WCG points which works out to be somewhere in the 11k-12k PPD Boinc points. I also see what you are suggesting as far as CPU's go hence why I started this thread. I also don't mind spending a few more dollars but don't need the very lasted either. Whatever I build next will be much more efficient than what I have now. Best thing about you guys here is that most of the people that post have various configurations of machines and more than one cruncher so I can get informed opinions as what combination of CPUs do what.

I used to be an only Intel type also but my opinion of them has swayed quite a bit with the specter and meltdown micro coding problems and the premium that have on there chips. Like you AMD has been on my radar since the first mention of there new CPUs

Too bad there are no 2p or 4p motherboards for thread rippers... only their Epyc line and they are a hefty price premium over the TRs. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Skillz, 2990WX alone is $1700 :ROFLMAO:

Who sticks strictly to their budget? In DC'er terms $1500 is really $3000. Am I right?

VietOZ,

Yes the points total I listed were WCG points which works out to be somewhere in the 11k-12k PPD Boinc points. I also see what you are suggesting as far as CPU's go hence why I started this thread. I also don't mind spending a few more dollars but don't need the very lasted either. Whatever I build next will be much more efficient than what I have now. Best thing about you guys here is that most of the people that post have various configurations of machines and more than one cruncher so I can get informed opinions as what combination of CPUs do what.

I used to be an only Intel type also but my opinion of them has swayed quite a bit with the specter and meltdown micro coding problems and the premium that have on there chips. Like you AMD has been on my radar since the first mention of there new CPUs

Too bad there are no 2p or 4p motherboards for thread rippers... only their Epyc line and they are a hefty price premium over the TRs. Thanks for the help so far guys!

EPCY doesn't do as well as their ThreadRipper counter parts. At least, that's what I've been led to believe. Especially not considering their cost over a TR build. I believe tayunz has a 2P EPYC setup that he could give his impressions on it compared to what a TR can do.

There is no way I would build any other setup other than a TR with a budget of "$1500" for CPU/Motherboard.

Well if you're patient, there's deals to be had on EPYC. I think they're not as sought after on eBay so you can get some decent deals. Hard to turn down 48+ cores in a 2P setup.

Well if you're patient, there's deals to be had on EPYC. I think they're not as sought after on eBay so you can get some decent deals. Hard to turn down 48+ cores in a 2P setup.

Nope, especially as you will be able to drop EYPC 2 and 3 cpu's into the same mobo with a bios update

Nope, especially as you will be able to drop EYPC 2 and 3 cpu's into the same mobo with a bios update
Well based on what I paid and collected over the past couple months, deals can be had.

This thread is nostalgic for me. I have an SR-2 and started thinking about its successor a few years ago. I put X5670's in it, dialed them to 4.2 and left them there until the X5690's got cheap a few years ago. I, too, started looking at a 2P system for various reasons, mainly, since this is my hobby, for the uniqueness. However, I couldn't (still can't) find an enthusiast board like the SR-2 worthy of my time and money.

The last time I bought an AMD board for personal use was in 2005, too. Same cpu as RFGuy_KCCO. Until this week.

I decided the successor to the SR-2 is going to be an X399 platform starting with a Threadripper 1950X. I've started with a ROG Zenith Extreme, but, it has issues with a couple of memory slots and is heading back to ASUS, soon. So, still looking for the right MB. The platform, however, has potential. Your specific use case may push you to the higher end 2000 series chips. I'm always looking at cost/perfomance hence the current setup. The 1950X is ~7% less performance than the 2950X for less than half the cost, in my case. I'm sitting at ~$1200 for the MB, CPU and RAM, but, may drop that to ~$1000 if the cheaper MB works out. Maybe a little more if I switch to the MSI board. Very much a work in progress, right now.

GL on your project.

You posted this thread a week late. You missed all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

I would highly recommend the Threadripper 1950X 16T/32C CPU. I bought that CPU and the Asus ROG Strix X-399 Gaming motherboard as a combo at Newegg just a few days ago for $651. Hard to beat. When the 2990WX 32C/64T Threadrippers come down in price you could just switch one in.

Who sticks strictly to their budget? In DC'er terms $1500 is really $3000. Am I right?

Yeah..... no 3K system here. WCG is a side project for me and I do it for fun. I spent more than that when building my SR-2 rig and I will not spend that again. I look for performance per dollar even if it does not yield an optimal system. I have a double wide Danger Den case that is perfect for whatever I decide to do and has been trouble free for the last 3 years. I have not even changed water in my loop....I just top it off due to evaporation.

This thread is nostalgic for me. I have an SR-2 and started thinking about its successor a few years ago. I put X5670's in it, dialed them to 4.2 and left them there until the X5690's got cheap a few years ago. I, too, started looking at a 2P system for various reasons, mainly, since this is my hobby, for the uniqueness. However, I couldn't (still can't) find an enthusiast board like the SR-2 worthy of my time and money.

The last time I bought an AMD board for personal use was in 2005, too. Same cpu as RFGuy_KCCO. Until this week.

I decided the successor to the SR-2 is going to be an X399 platform starting with a Threadripper 1950X. I've started with a ROG Zenith Extreme, but, it has issues with a couple of memory slots and is heading back to ASUS, soon. So, still looking for the right MB. The platform, however, has potential. Your specific use case may push you to the higher end 2000 series chips. I'm always looking at cost/perfomance hence the current setup. The 1950X is ~7% less performance than the 2950X for less than half the cost, in my case. I'm sitting at ~$1200 for the MB, CPU and RAM, but, may drop that to ~$1000 if the cheaper MB works out. Maybe a little more if I switch to the MSI board. Very much a work in progress, right now.

GL on your project.

I am on the same path as you. My SR-2 is still worth some money and I would like to use it to offset some of the cost. I can't complain really. It has been a solid board.

Well based on what I paid and collected over the past couple months, deals can be had.

I do like 2p and 4p boards. I like the simplicity of running 2 or more CPUs in one case plus I like sticking to server series MBs such as Supermicro or Intel. I have build a few servers with x8 and x9 boards from Supermicro and have never had issues. They have been rock solid. I do not need all the bells and whistles found in other boards..... just rock steady output.

I would highly recommend the Threadripper 1950X 16T/32C CPU. I bought that CPU and the Asus ROG Strix X-399 Gaming motherboard as a combo at Newegg just a few days ago for $651.

That ROG Strix board is what I have scheduled for delivery today to swap for the Zenith. Price/performance for new parts is crazy good. If AMD keeps doing this I'm going to keep throwing money at them.

The transplant went off without a hitch. The initial problem with the Zenith is not evident on the Strix, so looks like we're in business. The memory slot issue on the Zenith did hold this setup back a bit, ~7% or so. Maybe more in memory intensive tasks.

Simple stock to stock comparison between the SR-2 with X5690's and the TR 1950X shows the TR has about twice the performance in muiltithreaded tasks (Cinebench) and 50% faster compared to the SR-2 running at 4.5GHz.

So, all in all I think it's a worthy replacement / addition to the fleet.

Back