A "Legend" Reborn: Logitech Brings Back the MX518 Gaming Mouse

Wtf. I always thought that it is a problem with the micro switch and I need to replace the switch. I still have an old Razer mouse with this issue, I'll check it. :)
That's what I thought I when my mouse first developed the issue. Actually ordered some micro switches in 2017 to replace them thinking that's what has to happen.

Although when I opened up the mouse and blew it out with some air, it's worked fine ever since. Well other than needing to do cleaning almost every year due to said pollen issue.

Still on those original switches from Oct. 2014 when I bought the mouse and it still the mouse I use to this day.

Wtf. I always thought that it is a problem with the micro switch and I need to replace the switch. I still have an old Razer mouse with this issue, I'll check it. :)
It's the chinese omrons everyone are using. The Japanese ones (D2F-01 or D2F-01F) last a LOT longer.
Using the 1A chinese switches rather than the 100ma chinese omrons makes the problem even worse.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2F-01F/83266

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2F-01/83260
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/D2F-01?qs=VO24nqdQNUCb4fG09jp7Pw==

Funny how all the D2F-01's are out of stock.

I have been using the MX518 since this whole $20 Best Buy deal started happening and it is working just fine. I clean it off with some of that desk-slime every week or so. Working great. I bought 4 more and put them in the storage cabinet when I remembered just how much I liked it.
Holy cow I literally did the same thing. Bought a few and shelved them just like I did with the G602 but every G602 developed the double click issue.

Since this thread was necro'ed, might as well ask. I'm a long-time MX510 & 518 user since I was young & foolish when Unreal Tournament was still a relevant game, I also bought the "Legend" when it was released. Currently still using the 1st edition of the MX518 with the smaller plastic feet (for some reason I prefer this version, also have a newer version pre-legendary as well as backup).

I think the legendary feels build quality-wise slightly worse for some reason, cannot put my finger on it and it's not because of the weight difference feeling, I actually welcome it being slightly lighter but idk, there's something about it which feels less solid than before. Or maybe it's just my old MX518 has molded into my hand over 10+ (~15??) years of heavy use (it looks like frankensteins monster at this point but hey it works with a bit regular cleaning of the mouse wheel every once in a while that stops working properly when dust gathers in the wheel).

Either way, does anyone know any mice from nowadays that might be worth testing out? Last time I was actively chasing for potential replacements was like maybe 4 years ago and feels like a lot has happened since, wasn't able to find any back then at least which offered such a great shape that feels like an extension of your hand that can very easily be picked up with minimal effort with two fingers on both sides. Is Glorious Model D worth a try perhaps? But I believe I don't like Omron switches that much, I like the very light click feel and low noise of the Logitech MX518 personally that cannot be heard at all when I wear headphones.
I was a MX510 user for over 10 years and have fallen in love with the G502. I have the Proteus Core and it has lasted for 6 years so far without issues.
logitech has really gone downhill. My previous logitech mouse lasted like 8+ years. I bought one of their fancy $100 wireless mice and was double-clicking in less than 6 months. This is a notorious issue logitech has had in the past few years
All of the wireless mice I've used from Logitech have been garbage, which is a stark contrast to their wired mice. I have never had a single issue with their wired ones. I currently use a G402 at work, a G502 Proteus Core on my gaming PC, and a G502 Hero on my consoles. I tried both a G602 and G700S and both of them went to shit after (coincidentally) 6 months. I've stayed far away from their wireless products ever since.

It's the chinese omrons everyone are using. The Japanese ones (D2F-01 or D2F-01F) last a LOT longer.
Using the 1A chinese switches rather than the 100ma chinese omrons makes the problem even worse.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2F-01F/83266

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/D2F-01/83260
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron-Electronics/D2F-01?qs=VO24nqdQNUCb4fG09jp7Pw==

Funny how all the D2F-01's are out of stock.
Yes, I heard the same that I have to buy Japanese omrons when I replace them.

I was a MX510 user for over 10 years and have fallen in love with the G502. I have the Proteus Core and it has lasted for 6 years so far without issues.

All of the wireless mice I've used from Logitech have been garbage, which is a stark contrast to their wired mice. I have never had a single issue with their wired ones. I currently use a G402 at work, a G502 Proteus Core on my gaming PC, and a G502 Hero on my consoles. I tried both a G602 and G700S and both of them went to shit after (coincidentally) 6 months. I've stayed far away from their wireless products ever since.
The G7 lasted 2 years for me and it was the best mouse for me. I mean the shape was great, the 2000 DPI and 200Hz was good enough for gaming and the battery life was something I could live with. What I really liked was the reliability. With the MX510 I had to warmup 2 hours at least, but I had peak accuracy in ET after about 4-5 hours, so for example I started with 41%, had 45-49% after 2 hours and reached 51-56% after 4-5 hours if I had a good day. With the G7 I started with 51-56% and it never dropped, it was so reliable. The cable somehow always changed with the MX510, the direction of the pulling, the flexibility of the cable because of temperature changes, etc. Even a bungee did not help much, though I tried it only with the G400. Maybe it would have been better with a paracord cable, I don't know. For me the G7 was fine, but they burned down relative fast. The G603 has everything the G7 did not have, but its ergonomy is crap and its cheap, e.g. the wheel sensor stopped working properly after 2 months, and by the replacement mouse after 3 months. I'll buy a new one and solder it, but I haven't have time to do it in the past 2 years, so I used it without wheel. I checked the G602 and the G700s before buying the G603, but they weren't good enough, so I rather waited a few more years. Maybe the next wireless mouse will have a better shape than this G603.

Did Logitech use Japanese omrons a long time ago?

Many companies used Japanese Omrons a long time ago. That's why the clickers lasted for years before degrading. Also there was more current going through the switches so they also enhanced how long they worked before the clicks got unreliable.

It was never the "finest gaming mouse"... lol.

The new (few years old) one is at least equal now, to other good gaming mice. What makes a good gaming mouse? (IHMO) Sensor's tracking ability, adjustable effective dpi, and ergonomics (fit, comfort, weight). There's a nice selection of brands now who all do this pretty well. Glorious Gaming (my current favorite), Mionix, Razer, plenty of others, and this logitech.

Back