A "Legend" Reborn: Logitech Brings Back the MX518 Gaming Mouse

Yo Logitech..what about the G7 variation for those of us who hate dealing with wires? That is still hands down your best wireless mouse and it has gotten damned impossible to find batteries.

Edit: G7 not 700..sorry on cold meds screwing with my brain.

OMG yes! That was my first "gaming peripheral way back in 2006. Looking back , the G7 was so ahead of its time. Wireless with two batteries that could be swapped in less than 3 seconds. That thing surviced SOOO many mouse clicks back in Vanilla Wow and the Counter Strike Source glory days.

When the batteries finally died I ended up replacing it with a G5 because I couldn't find the same color G7. I'm so happy they're bringing back that shape. I've gone through more mice than I care to admit since my G5 died.

Well I guess I will see what all the fuss is about ... I have never had a "gaming" mouse before.

OMG yes! That was my first "gaming peripheral way back in 2006. Looking back , the G7 was so ahead of its time. Wireless with two batteries that could be swapped in less than 3 seconds. That thing surviced SOOO many mouse clicks back in Vanilla Wow and the Counter Strike Source glory days.

When the batteries finally died I ended up replacing it with a G5 because I couldn't find the same color G7. I'm so happy they're bringing back that shape. I've gone through more mice than I care to admit since my G5 died.

I hate how that subsequent wireless mice don't have easily swappable batteries. I am using a G900 right now.

Just dug out four of my OG Logitech mice...I thought I still had my original G5 too, but maybe I sold it off when I got the v2.

Lotta games played using these bad boys.

IMG_2156.jpg

Think i may still have an old 518 floating around in a box still. Think it was decent enough, but i don't recall enough nostalgia about it to require new tech in an older body design. While about all my peripherals are Logitech due to the usually high reviews they get, i'm by & large just a bit let down in the quality department. Loved my G602s to death...except for the middle mouse button failure rate. Replaced them with a G903 due to the rave reviews...and i don't care for the feel & the fairly poor rechargeable battery life in comparison to the 602 that rocked AAs. G930 wireless headphones? Constant disconnects/reconnects which is a well documented issue online, but somehow never gets addressed by logitech via update.

Only thing i can't currently complain about is my 910 keyboard, but then i don't do any sort of mucking with macros or any of the other "features" it offers beyond what all keyboards offer.

Think i may still have an old 518 floating around in a box still. Think it was decent enough, but i don't recall enough nostalgia about it to require new tech in an older body design. While about all my peripherals are Logitech due to the usually high reviews they get, i'm by & large just a bit let down in the quality department. Loved my G602s to death...except for the middle mouse button failure rate. Replaced them with a G903 due to the rave reviews...and i don't care for the feel & the fairly poor rechargeable battery life in comparison to the 602 that rocked AAs. G930 wireless headphones? Constant disconnects/reconnects which is a well documented issue online, but somehow never gets addressed by logitech via update.

Only thing i can't currently complain about is my 910 keyboard, but then i don't do any sort of mucking with macros or any of the other "features" it offers beyond what all keyboards offer.

If you like the shape, the G305 has the same excellent tracking/response as the G903 but it goes FOREVER on a single AA. I picked up a lightly used one here from the FS/T forum to use with my work laptop and it's been awesome. I've been using it for weeks upon weeks and haven't had to replace the battery yet. I'm seriously impressed.

Yes, the shell design began with MX500, MX510, MX518 and then reused/adapted for the G5, G500, G500s series you are familiar with.

Ah, interesting.

My recollection of the mice of this era is a bit hazy.

I feel like I went straight from one of those Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer optical mice to the G5 and then the G500

Last edited:
So, is this a Logitech Store exclusive?

It seems available there, but I cant find it on Amazon.

View attachment 144151

One mouse. One button. One click. One frag.

Get good.

Everyone knows three identical buttons is where it is at.

upload_2019-3-20_21-33-26.png

This was my first mouse. Can't even remember where I got it.

Not my picture though. I think mine might have been a nine pin serial port. Then again, I vaguely remember using a 25pin to 9pin adapter for a mouse at some point, so maybe not...

So, is this a Logitech Store exclusive?

It seems available there, but I cant find it on Amazon.

Actually, since I last checked, it is now listed as "SOLD OUT" on the Logitech store. Figures.

Please don't tell me this is some sort of limited edition bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's just too bad they used a shitty sensor in this one. Absolutely love the shape, but it doesn't have the performance I demand from a mouse these days.
I don't remember the MX518

Is this the same shape as the G5/G500/G500s?

I'm absolutely dying to get that mouse back. My favorite of all time.

I had first a G5, then a G500.

I loved the relatively subtle design of the G500 (the G5 was a little bland, the G500s was a little too much) and the shape and weight were perfect for my hands.

I sincerely hope they bring that back some day.

View attachment 143972
You already got an answer, but yes. The shape was indeed perfect, which is why I think everybody loved it. When I was going to university back in 2005 anyone who saw another person using an MX500, 510 or 518 were treated like bros. I remember one guy defecting to a G9x when it first came out and he quickly wished he didn't waste his money on it.
Don't think he was being serious.... Lol
I don't think ZodaEX was, either. I think you need your sarcasm meter recalibrated.

I still have my 510. . . Main mouse for my retro rig... I have a G500 around too. I used that for years on my main rig.. and now a G900 on my gaming rig.. loving it so far.

It's just too bad they used a shitty sensor in this one. Absolutely love the shape, but it doesn't have the performance I demand from a mouse these days.

You already got an answer, but yes. The shape was indeed perfect, which is why I think everybody loved it. When I was going to university back in 2005 anyone who saw another person using an MX500, 510 or 518 were treated like bros. I remember one guy defecting to a G9x when it first came out and he quickly wished he didn't waste his money on it.

I don't think ZodaEX was, either. I think you need your sarcasm meter recalibrated.

LOL oh recalibrating now ya cuck.

Been using a M510 wireless for years now - seems to use the same body style? Love my G810 Orion Spectrum ...

what makes the MX 518 so legendary?

It's like the Sherman tank of mice. Always runs and get's the job done.

You know how sometimes you have a piece of hardware and there is nothing really wrong with it, but it's still working fine, but you feel like you want something else, something fresh......... For people like me, I had all those feelings except .... I never wanted to replace it, except with another MX518.

I have mixed feelings about this one. Sounds like they are replacing the MX518 with a mouse that isn't really an MX518. I'm using a G400S these days.

I tried a Razer Mamba and a G502, and some other wiz-band logitech mouse, even went to ebay for the optical special edition Razer Boomslang which didn't do it, though I loved my original Boomslang .... back when mice had balls, those were the days.

I'll buy this one just to find out. If it's available I'll order one today. But my expectations are reserved.

Yup, preorders available on Amazon, I'll find out.

How do you keep them looking so new? Mine were worn to absolute shreds by the time they were replaced, so I just tossed them in the trash.

Heh, I don't really know what to say other than I am a frequent hand washer and treat my things with care. I've seen lots of people on this forum (and others) complain over the years about their Logitech mice buttons wearing out and doing "ghost" double clicks or having problems where the cable develops a flaky connection where it attaches to the mouse. I've never experienced either of those issues, and I was gaming a lot more back then than I am these days.

What can I say, it must be my feminine touch. :p

Heh, I don't really know what to say other than I am a frequent hand washer and treat my things with care. I've seen lots of people on this forum (and others) complain over the years about their Logitech mice buttons wearing out and doing "ghost" double clicks or having problems where the cable develops a flaky connection where it attaches to the mouse. I've never experienced either of those issues, and I was gaming a lot more back then than I am these days.

What can I say, it must be my feminine touch. :p
Same. Always used to puzzle me when seeing people post pictures of their peripherals and they're always crusty and dirty looking. Then I realize that most people don't wash their hands outside of taking a shower or bath. I did have a legitimate mouse click issue with my G700S, though. It happened after just a few months of use. I always wash my hands before using my PC or game consoles.

Same. Always used to puzzle me when seeing people post pictures of their peripherals and they're always crusty and dirty looking. Then I realize that most people don't wash their hands outside of taking a shower or bath. I did have a legitimate mouse click issue with my G700S, though. It happened after just a few months of use. I always wash my hands before using my PC or game consoles.

This isn't the cause in my case. I am a frequent hand washer and never have food at my desk. I am careful about always washing after eating to not get food greases on my stuff.

I'm not talking about dirt I'm talkong about the mice being physically worn. On my G500 - for instance - I worse straight through that cool paint job on it, and the mouse feet were worn straight off the bottom.

I don't do corded mice anymore.

I loved the mx700; it lasted a long time too, until I got fed up with the contacts not touching in the charging cradle. No bigger aggravation than grabbing the mouse and finding it dead because it never charged.

I think I had this and the 318. You know the mouse I liked the most. My "80's computer beige" colored Microsoft wired mouse from the mid/late 90's. It has a perfect fit and feel. I had to move on because resolution was starting to be problem and it was wearing it out. I switched to Logitech Mice and promptly got a combination of a ganglion cyst and early carpel tunnel. It was because it was too small, I have to keep my fingers continually arched back to place the fingers on the buttons.
upload_2019-3-22_9-52-55.jpeg

This isn't the cause in my case. I am a frequent hand washer and never have food at my desk. I am careful about always washing after eating to not get food greases on my stuff.

I'm not talking about dirt I'm talkong about the mice being physically worn. On my G500 - for instance - I worse straight through that cool paint job on it, and the mouse feet were worn straight off the bottom.

I guess it could be a matter of perspective. I mean, I thought myself to be a pretty heavy gamer when those mice were released but what's considered a lot? If you asked someone who sank hundreds of hours into WoW every few months, I probably didn't game that much comparatively. Some of the finish wear on mice and keyboard caps can be attributed to different body chemistries as well. Maybe you have acid for blood. :vamp:

Last edited:
The 518 was a great mouse. But the BenQ Zowie EC series is better than anything Logitech has ever made. If they had done this a few years ago I might have been excited. But I've moved on to Zowie.
The thing I liked about the 518 is that there were 3 thumb buttons, instead of just the two, which no one else seems to do. (I'm not counting aim buttons, I find those to be a pain and poorly placed.)

I don't do corded mice anymore.

I loved the mx700; it lasted a long time too, until I got fed up with the contacts not touching in the charging cradle. No bigger aggravation than grabbing the mouse and finding it dead because it never charged.

I never liked those charging docks much. The contacts, plus you couldn't use the damn mouse while it was charging. That was OK if you always charged it at night or whatever, but if you forgot and it died during the day you were SOL.

I much prefer the charging cable method like what Logitech uses on the G900. Though I haven't tried one of those wireless charging mats like the G903 uses, so that might be even better, I'm not sure.

I think I had this and the 318. You know the mouse I liked the most. My "80's computer beige" colored Microsoft wired mouse from the mid/late 90's. It has a perfect fit and feel. I had to move on because resolution was starting to be problem and it was wearing it out. I switched to Logitech Mice and promptly got a combination of a ganglion cyst and early carpel tunnel. It was because it was too small, I have to keep my fingers continually arched back to place the fingers on the buttons.
View attachment 149891

I too used one of these in the late 90's. I remember liking it very much.

Mine was delivered today :D.

Please let us know how you like it! (not that I have to wait long to find out how I like mine mmyself or anything, but...)

I'm going to test mine. If I like it, I'll keep it at home. If I don't, I'll bring it to work. Even if I don't like it for gaming, it will certainly be better than this M310 wireless POS they gave me, which judging by recent news is probably vulnerable to some sort of script injection...

Back