a laptop for an architect

daddu2000

n00b
I need a laptop for my work which requires high performance in graphics,,, i am an architect and i work allot with the cad softwares like AutoCAD 2008 and 3ds max and Photoshop ,,, i looked in Toshiba satellite and i need your opinion,,,

Toshiba Satellite X200-23G

Intel Centrino Processor Technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300
clock speed : 2.5 GHz
2nd level cache : 6 MB

System memory:3,072 (2,048 + 1,024) MB

Display: size : 17.1 "
type : Toshiba TruBrite® WSXGA+ TFT display
internal resolution : 1,680 x 1,050

Graphic adapter:manufacturer : NVIDIA®
type : NVIDIA® SLI dual GeForce® 8600M GT supporting TurboCache™ technology
memory amount : 512 MB dedicated VRAM (up to 2303 MB total available graphics memory using TurboCache™ technology with 4 GB system memory)
memory type : DDR Video RAM (resp. DDR Video RAM and DDR system memory combined)
connected bus : 16x PCI Express

Hard disk :capacity : 500 (250 + 250) GB
certification : S.M.A.R.T.

http://gulf.computers.toshiba-europ...ervice=AE&PRODUCT_ID=145074&toshibaShop=false

please give me your advice wither these specifications are good enough for my work to get the best performance or i should look for something ales....

I have fairly limited knowledge of architectural programs, but i spent a few years in high school working on AutoCad2004-06 and the computers that i ran it on were pretty low end desktops (celery 2.0, 512mb RAM, integrated GPU) and they ran just fine.

It seems to me that the computer you have spec'd out would be more than enough for some seriously big drawings.

Most modern graphics solutions will "work" for CAD, but if you're a professional, it's probably worth it to you to spend the extra money and get the most appropriate product. If you're CADing, you'll want something with a workstation graphics processing unit. The 8600GT is more of a gaming chip. Look for something with an nVidia Quadro-series or ATI FireGL-series GPU if you really need performance in CAD software. I know the Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and T61p can be equipped with some pretty powerful Quadros. I'm pretty sure all the major manufacturers offer them, though.

Honestly, I have an old Toshiba here that I bought used from a friend, and a few friends have newer ones, and I wouldn't buy another one.

For an application like yours, I'd seriously consider an IBM Thinkpad or other business class models, a la Dell Latitude or such.

You don't need SLI. Look into a Thinkpad T61p or a Dell Precision M90. Both have good cad open-gl based cards, very durable, and both have the WUXGA Resolution.

You don't need SLI. Look into a Thinkpad T61p or a Dell Precision M90. Both have good cad open-gl based cards, very durable, and both have the WUXGA Resolution.

I agree with the WUXGA part. I would look for a at least a 17" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. I just bought a 17" dell Vostro with 8600M GT, and I could have paid another 150.00 for 1920x1200 resolution. I am kind of kicking myself because I think I would have prefered the higher resolution.

Anyway, I had just asked for advice on a good laptop and someone linked me this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1277096&highlight=dell+vostro
which contains a coupon code for the Dell Vostro's. The 1700 (17" models) start at $729.00, and with one of the coupon codes you get $500.00 off, but you have to upgrade the laptop until the price reaches $1249.00. You can get 8600M GT which is arguably among the best mobile solution you can realistically get today. Upgrade the screen to 1920x1200 resolution, and the CPU to as much as you can afford.

I would leave the memory and hard drive where they are at and buy them seperate. You can get 4GB of memory to replace the 1GB the notebook comes with for about $70.00 from Newegg.com, and purchase a second hard drive from Newegg too, a 7200RPM to put in the second bay.

Good luck! By the way, the deal only lasts another day or two.

thanks for your advices,, but i still need to know how bad do you think the graphic memory NVIDIA® SLI dual GeForce® 8600M GT would be,, the fact is i never knew that the NVIDIA Quadro is designed for 3d and CAD users,,, i couldn’t find a Toshiba with more than 256 MB dedicated NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 130M so will that help??!! i also i found some notebooks with a the graphic memory ATI | ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD2600 256 M dedicated ,,would the ATI work better than the NVIDIA ,,,,?????
I live in Libya so its hard to find a specific model,,, coz we order it and they bring it form the UAE and it takes allot of time,,,,
i really i appreciate your opinions,,

Do you really need a 17" laptop? Do you need ISV certification?

I'd recommend a Thinkpad T61p or a Dell D830. Both great laptops :D

I'm a 3d graphcis designer and I use maya 8.5, realflow simulator, never needed autocad, but I'm on a 7800 gtx go video card, 3gb ram, 2.13cpu, never really have any big slowdowns with millions of polys.

If you go to dell.com, and when looking for laptops, you choose 'small buisness' instead of personal/home, there are some laptops which allow you to choose the NVIDIA Quadro series video cards. Along with a core 2 duo, and 3Gigs of RAM, you'd be set, I think. (more RAM is better with any AutoCAD or Adobe product especially.)

With respect to all ppl who cared to reply to my post,, Now after reading JFX's reply I really am releaved,, since JFX has really tried the graphic card in the same kinda work that i will be doing,,,, Now i have come to an understanding that the difference between these cards will not really show ,, I mean it will not be that big a difference as long as the graphic card is a new model with a powerful processor and generouse RAM,, it will Rock my 3Ds ....
Now i will go buy my laptop with a calm mind,,,,
thanks all ,, you're the best

Back