cageymaru

Fully [H]
Engineering students at Jiao Tong University in Shanghai have invented an artificial intelligence (A.I.) powered self-checkout system called AEYA-Go that scans and identifies the food on customer's plates. The A.I. accomplishes this task by distinguishing the unique color and pattern of various foods. Not only does the A.I. calculate the cost of the order from the identification scan; it also counts the amount of calories present in the food on the tray. The fast and efficient checkout system has been adopted at several universities and foreign investors have expressed interest in the technology.

A team at the Jiao Tong University in Shanghai has developed a self-checkout system at canteens, that will tell customers the cost of their food, but also the amount of calories in them. The AI-enhanced system is operational at several universities in Shanghai, and has attracted international investors.

And I'm sure that going over your government mandated caloric intake level won't have any effect on one's social credit score, right? Or maybe your plate selection will get denied. No, surely it would never be used in such a way to promote controlled resource consumption of its populace.

Not Hotdog! ...

Figure_1-71076f8ac360d6a065cf19c6923310d2.jpg

Why do I think of Soylent Green when I read these articles?

You watch, next they'll have body scanners & scales that recommend or deny food based on body features & weight.....Actually that might not be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Japan sells a toilet that can diagnose your urine - I think it checks for sugar, not sure what else it might be able to detect.
I've been working on losing weight for several years - with some success. I went from morbidly obese to overweight - I am on track to hit a "normal" weight this year. I track my calories with an app and also use a scale to weigh myself that syncs with my app. I wouldn't mind a system that can help me track what I'm eating - as long as its private!
You could easily see a government using this to enforce what people are consuming. If you could reduce obesity, health care costs would likely come down. Obesity can lead to diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, strokes, death - nothing good. In the US, obesity is an epidemic and is preventable for most people.

Japan sells a toilet that can diagnose your urine - I think it checks for sugar, not sure what else it might be able to detect.
I've been working on losing weight for several years - with some success. I went from morbidly obese to overweight - I am on track to hit a "normal" weight this year. I track my calories with an app and also use a scale to weigh myself that syncs with my app. I wouldn't mind a system that can help me track what I'm eating - as long as its private!
You could easily see a government using this to enforce what people are consuming. If you could reduce obesity, health care costs would likely come down. Obesity can lead to diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, strokes, death - nothing good. In the US, obesity is an epidemic and is preventable for most people.

I was talking to one of my buddies one time, while he was overseas in the army he was in a group conversation about how middle easterners smell like curry, one of them over heard them and approached him letting him know that he wasn't mad & that he does the same thing with his friends, claiming that how westerners smell like "cake", because of all the sweets we consume.

It would be a good thing if the government took a broader approach to curb obesity (without restricting freedom of choice obviously), but I fear there is too much money involved to really do anything about it. Which is a shame.

I was talking to one of my buddies one time, while he was overseas in the army he was in a group conversation about how middle easterners smell like curry, one of them over heard them and approached him letting him know that he wasn't mad & that he does the same thing with his friends, claiming that how westerners smell like "cake", because of all the sweets we consume.

It would be a good thing if the government took a broader approach to curb obesity (without restricting freedom of choice obviously), but I fear there is too much money involved to really do anything about it. Which is a shame.
Yes - the corporations in the US would fight this tooth and nail. Threaten profits, you see where money moves around to influence control. Pepsi, Coke, General Mills, etc make money selling products high in calories/sugar. They also fund studies that take the spotlight away and influence FDA guidelines to some extent (or a lot - I will stop as I am in conspiracy territory.)
I also believe people should have the right to make their own choices, although maybe there should be some consequences? Example - it's a fact that tobacco products cause cancer and are terrible for your health. I think people should be allowed to use these products if they want. However, I'm also ok with them having to pay higher medical premiums as they are going to develop cancers, lung problems, etc.
I see obesity the same way. If you want to eat foods that make you fat, go for it. I think you should pay higher premiums to cover the issues you are likely going to develop. My insurance company gives us "wellness" incentives. This year, I received an additional $1500 as I met all the goals of our wellness program. That's not a huge number, but I'll take it. In addition to saving me money now, I'm also potentially reducing some of my long term risks by following it (which results in lower health care costs for the plan). I'm way off topic! Quick summary of my point: I don't want the government (or employer) treading too much in my personal life. I believe in free will.

Yes - the corporations in the US would fight this tooth and nail. Threaten profits, you see where money moves around to influence control. Pepsi, Coke, General Mills, etc make money selling products high in calories/sugar. They also fund studies that take the spotlight away and influence FDA guidelines to some extent (or a lot - I will stop as I am in conspiracy territory.)

Not just the food industry but the medical industry. In the US obesity and obesity related illness accounts for 21% of all medical spending (http://www.healthycommunitieshealthyfuture.org/learn-the-facts/economic-costs-of-obesity/) which amounts to $190 billion, and that's only going to balloon further. That's a huge chunk of change that primarily comes out of the public purse since rates of obesity are higher among lower income house holds (garbage food is cheap). The real cost of the modern food industry is likely even higher since there are some non obesity related illnesses that still have a root in nutrition (Alzeimer's being a good example).

Great! They can incorporate this into their social credit score system and reward people for eating healthy and punish them for eating unhealthy. Soon China will have superior people to everywhere else in the world. Force them to exercise too while you're at it.

alot of social tech development in China is nefarious

if implemented in the US, they will expect that you have signed off a broad a-ok for the shop to market your data, just by the act of ordering from the system.

combined with your non-cash sale data, insane..

HAhahaha, i can totally see that.

This totally makes sense. Whatever you eat comes out through your pores. When I was in Afghanistan, the locals would sweat a ton from working in the sun all day and they smelled of onions and whatever else they cooked for their meal lot of the time. That smell will be forever etched in my memory.

And I'm sure that going over your government mandated caloric intake level won't have any effect on one's social credit score, right? Or maybe your plate selection will get denied. No, surely it would never be used in such a way to promote controlled resource consumption of its populace.

Yahoo Finance: Nvidia research chief: AI still lacks a crucial element

Excerpts follow:

Regulating human behavior to improve AI

David Schubmehl, research director of Cognitive/Artificial Intelligence Systems at IDC, explained that when someone sets up an algorithm for machine learning, the outcomes are based on existing trends the algorithm identifies and features that recur.

“Let’s say you’re looking at the number of police incidents over a geographic area,” Schubmehl told Yahoo Finance. The machine-learning system will start to look at evidence of burglaries in that area “based on the different attributes you collect, such as whether the person arrested is male, female.”

It will then discover commonalities and mark them as an identifiable feature. Then the AI teaches itself what features to search for, which eventually become part of the algorithm.

So “when you start to collect that type of information, you have to be careful that you’re not implicitly biasing the system,” said Schubmehl. “Some of the features it identifies may or may not be rational.”

“Algorithms cannot completely model the real world,” Anandkumar said, noting that “the algorithm by itself is not the main culprit. … We need to figure out ways to regulate human behavior more than anything else.”

‘Humans are predisposed to bias’

In the meantime, preemptively weeding out biased outcomes can prevent these existing biases from being replicated in machines.

Back