A heads up to all Wii owners

MrSteel74

[H]ard|Gawd
Back in Deember I lucked out and found a Wii at my local retailer and have been a happy Wii owner since but just recently my Wii has been displaying a lot of graphic artifacting. Now I just switched from standard AV cables to component so I thought maybe my cables were bad, I got new cables and I have the same problem. After doing a search on the web I found out that people with a initial release system and those that keep the WiiConnect 24 option on are experiencing this problem. As it turns out the system fan is not on when the Wii is in standby mode thus the system is heating up. As anyone here knows when your graphics card gets too hot from overclocking or a fan failure you get graphic artifacts. My Wii hasn't been on in a few days but is in standby mode I touched the system and it was fairly warm, I immediately disabled my WiiConnect 24. I still have graphic artifacting so it maybe too late for my system and I'll have to ship it off to Nintendo to get repaired. But just a heads up if you own a Wii you might not want to have the WiiConnect 24 option enabled you might end up with a toasted Wii.

I've noticed the same heat issue in the past, I just unplug the power from the Wii when I'm not using it. The side of the unit does indeed get pretty warm.

wow, that sounds like a bummer. I don't have any issues, and I've got a launch day system which has been on 24/7 with WiiConnect24. It's on its side.

I'm surprised that the system would have artifacting issues just because it's warm when off; it's only consuming what, 9W or something when off (with wiiconnect24 on)? So less than a tenth of a lightbulb's worth of heat...I would assume that would be some kind of manufacturing defect then.

Mine gets fairly warm but I've never seen artifacts. Had it since launch day and it's been on about 95% of the time too.

Hopefully this is a fairly isolated issue.

For those experiecing artifacts, do you keep your Wii enclosed in an entertainment unit?

I've had mine since launch and it's been on wiiconnect ever since. No artifacts. It's kept beside the PS3 but it's open not enclosed in anything.

I had this issue, noticed it a week or so after launch. Nintendo was quick on the replacement and all is well. :D

My Wii is stacked against several games in an entertainment system with little ventilation and I have yet to see a problem. Oh, and I keep WiiConnect24 on all the time.

On the other hand, my new 360 heats another empty box of that entertainment center up like a mofo. Damn, that unit runs HOT.

I dunno, I turned standby off on my system, not because it was doing anything to the wii, but it was giving my computer messages every 5 seconds that the wii was connected and it was annoying, as I'm using the net adapter.

same bullshit happened to me. as of right now, im waiting on the rma label from nintendo.

what a retarded oversight on nintendos part... how could they not know the network adapter was getting so hot in standby mode?

what a retarded oversight on nintendos part... how could they not know the network adapter was getting so hot in standby mode?

I still don't believe that it's possible that the 9W of power is causing artifacting unless there was some kind of manufacturing process defect.

I still don't believe that it's possible that the 9W of power is causing artifacting unless there was some kind of manufacturing process defect.

I have a hard time believing it too... I've had mine since launch morning, and it's been on WiiConnect24 the entire time, yet it still works 100% perfectly :).

The Wii gets warm when in standby, it isn't even close to being warm enough to worry about. Look at the specs for other hardware. I bet the Wii can easily handle 60-70C before it should even start to having any heat related problems.

If you are so concerned about how hot the Wii is in standby, buy the LAN adapter. With the wireless off, the Wii runs quite a bit cooler.

While I don't like the fact that the unit warms up when Standby connection is turned on for WiiConnect24, thats not the cause of your problems. True the fan doesn't turn on when the system is on standby, but the unit doesn't generate enough heat to need a fan during that time. And when the fan DOES run when the system is on and playing a game, its mostly pushing cool to mildly-warm air out the back at a very slow pace.

Have you ever put your hand behind an xbox360 after 10 minutes of play? Its like an oven back there!

Had mine since launch on standby with no problems either, mine is hardly even warm. I can't even feel anything.

Back