A "[H]ard" surface mouse pad?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I ordered a XL Mousepad a while ago but returned it b/c I don't like soft mousepads... my hands get sweaty and it just feels terrible. Are there any Large surface area hard surface mousepads? I am having a lot of trouble finding a mousepad with a "hard" surface to it.

For what its worth. Some people use kitchen cutting boards as mouse pads. It takes a bit of fine sanding to remove the edges for your wrist (if not already rounded) and smooth the surface out depending on friction ridges. I tied it once and where it worked, it was not my preference. Obviously do not get the clear ones unless you put a liner on the surface.

I used to use a piece of plastic laminate (formica/wilsonart/etc.) as my mouse "pad". It was incredibly slick against teflon mouse pads and dirt cheap for a big chunk of it that you could cut to whatever size/shape you wanted.

Razers new Hard mouse pad is ok but the size isn't very big. I didn't like it because the mouse moved way too fast.

If you can find a Corsair MM600 aluminum mouse pad it is a great product. It is solid and durable with a different texture on each side. I game on my couch with my mousepad in my lap - it has zero flex and the textured surfaces have held up well over the years.
It is currently not available on Amazon though... This Black Hawk aluminum mouse pad looks to be an equivalent - It looks nearly identical down to the rubber bumpers but I can't personally vouch for it though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that 12x12x.25 would make a nice pad, i think. texture looks similar to what my giganta i used to have.

Yeah, its fairly easy to cut too if you wanted a custom size & don't have access to a band saw. I would maybe suggest using a really fine sandpaper over it first to make it smoother.

Yeah, its fairly easy to cut too if you wanted a custom size & don't have access to a band saw. I would maybe suggest using a really fine sandpaper over it first to make it smoother.
If it's that easy to make something that's very colse to a Ratpadz you should start making them I'm sure a few people would pick them up.

If it's that easy to make something that's very colse to a Ratpadz you should start making them I'm sure a few people would pick them up.
That's a good idea. Materials are expensive though. I've had some ideas. Maybe I will make a prototype.

I'm currently using Corsair MM600 and like it for FPS games. I usually go for cloth for the smoothness, but this one is better than I expected.

The material is easy to get a hold of, the actual surface texture though, I believe qualifies as a trade secret.

I used to have an official [H]ardOcp Ratpadz .
MF lasted decades, used it to scrape ice off my car's windows . TOUGH.
Now that I used laser mice, its been sitting in the basement .

I lost my RatPadz GS years ago, but I bought a RatPadz XT in 2015 and it's still like new. I've also used the fUnc Archetype 1030 dual-surface mousepad for many years. The two surfaces lasted a long time, but eventually started wearing out (I have spare surfaces though). I feel like my mice track better on the RatPadz XT though, and the way mice glide over the XT's surface is much more silky-smooth than how they glide over the smooth surface of the 1030. Really wish RatPadz was still around. Also wish I had bought more XTs when I had the chance.

I used the XT for quite a few years, lost it in a move. Picked up an Icemat and have been using it for well over 15 years now.

I ordered a XL Mousepad a while ago but returned it b/c I don't like soft mousepads... my hands get sweaty and it just feels terrible. Are there any Large surface area hard surface mousepads? I am having a lot of trouble finding a mousepad with a "hard" surface to it.
I think the cloth pads are best for sweaty hands. cause the sweat sits on top of the hard pads and messes up the sensor tracking. I've been using the steel series qck large for awhile now.

edit: just realized this thread is 3 months old

Last edited:
I don't know what constitutes crappy mouse feet, but I always used quality mice from brands like Logitech.

I guess non-Teflon or something that is scraping against the pad. In any case, I am not sure how the XT would have gotten worn out that fast. I would believe it with the GS, that one was seemed much less durable.

Still using the Ratpadz XT here.
My center area just makes my mouse pad move so slow. The outside areas make the mouse move perfect. I've tried a Steel Series, Corsair, and Logitech 640 mouse pad, none compare. I really wish I could find something else that compares to my RatPadz. :(

You just need a mouse with a fan on it.

I still have my Icemat and I would love to have another one or a worthy successor. It still works but it's a little beat up.

To those looking for a new mousepad, make sure you avoid these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJWJH5Y

I bought one to replace my last Func 1030 which I had used for many years and was considerably past it's prime. The new pad though, only lasted a few months before any spot where my mouse made contact was totally worn bald (see pic). That's just crazy considering that I would always get at least 3+ years out of each func pad. Cheap Chinese trash... and you see the exact same pad being sold by many Chinese sellers. Pretty much typical behavior where when a product gets enough bad reviews they just create a new "brand" and start-over selling the exact same thing.

It's ridiculously frustrating when the mousepads from 15-20 years ago, like the Ratpadz and func 1030 are literally better than anything available today. I wish I could go back in time and buy like 100 of them...

baldmousepad.jpg

Last edited:
Back