A Guide to Encoded HD Video Playback

When playing a HDTV file (avi) the FFmpeg settings say not using DXVA.

I followed the 2nd option since i have a 8800gtx and a E6600.

What type of video? But yea, G80 core GPU's won't do hardware acceleration, at least not h264 acceleration.

Oh hmm when i googled quickly i saw a site that said it was...but since both of you said it aint.

Its a AVI file.
Any links to what i should do? I can play MKV HD files perfectly with wicked playback quality and uses little of my cpu using option 2. BUT AVI playback quality is poor:S

AVI is just a container. Use a program called MediaInfo to see what type video is in it.

Ok I installed theta codec and set it on the external filters and it is used when playing back. But quality is still fairly poor. What settings shall I put for the Xvid codc?
It has:

Postprocessing: deblocking (y), deblocking (UV), film effect

Output: flip video, compatibility renderer, output colorspace (no force, YV12, YUY2, RGB24, RGB32)

FourCC support: DIVX, DX50, mp4v

Aspect Ration: Auto (mpeg-4 first), Auto (external first), 4:3 16:9 2:35:1

Ok I installed theta codec and set it on the external filters and it is used when playing back. But quality is still fairly poor. What settings shall I put for the Xvid codc?
It has:

Postprocessing: deblocking (y), deblocking (UV), film effect

Output: flip video, compatibility renderer, output colorspace (no force, YV12, YUY2, RGB24, RGB32)

FourCC support: DIVX, DX50, mp4v

Aspect Ration: Auto (mpeg-4 first), Auto (external first), 4:3 16:9 2:35:1

It might just be a shitty encode.

Guess so. Its a HDTV rip and all of the episodes are like that so was abit wierd. 1 or 2 maybe but all of em:S

LOL, I should of got 720p. Ahh well if MKV plays back perfectly thats fine. Thanks for all the help guys:D

So uh.. why did you bump an old thread that is outdated and already linked in the new sticky? You just wanted to say "ttt"?

ttb

Haha, look at his "find all posts by page". Seems those are the only 3 letters he knows. ;)

Last edited:
Ok time to bump an OLD thread.

I used this thread when building a media pc desktop for my friend a few years ago.

But I still like the idea of customizing your codecs individually rather than installing vlc player.

Is this thread still valid? Is this still the leanest way to get hardware decoded video playback, through mpc-hc by selecting individual codecs?

edit: found this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357375

Last edited:
Back