cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to Nibel on Twitter, owners of the PlayStation Classic can access the emulator settings menu with certain USB keyboards. When a Logitech or Corsair keyboard is plugged into the retro console, users can hit the ESC key and bring up the emulator settings menu. From there, users can create save states, access cheats, customize game settings and more!

So, turns out you can access the emulator settings of the PlayStation Classic by plugging in a keyboard and pressing Escape.. which allows you to use multiple save states, scanlines, change games to NTSC for 60 FPS and so on.

i don't think speed runs can even be accepted on this pos since it's just an emulator. Toss it in the trash.

i don't think speed runs can even be accepted on this pos since it's just an emulator. Toss it in the trash.

Typically, Emulators get their own categories, but some are considered accurate enough to be considered the same as a console for the purposes of speed-running.

I also note both the NES and SNES Classic run slightly faster then the original consoles did; I know the NES Classic runs at ever so slightly higher then 60 Hz instead of ~59.94 Hz, and several titles on the SNES Classic run at noticeably different speeds then the original console (Star Fox is by far the most obvious example), likely due to differing quartz clocks and other timing differences. Neither is directly comparable to their original model as far as speedrunning goes (Hell, I could see emulators adding the "Classic" timings in future updates).

I wonder what sony's stance is on whether or not you own the games that you bought on the system. Would it be legal to take the games off the console and run them on a pc emulator? I know the games are already available widely digitally through whatever means, but are you the actual owner of each title when you purchase this system?

I wonder what sony's stance is on whether or not you own the games that you bought on the system. Would it be legal to take the games off the console and run them on a pc emulator? I know the games are already available widely digitally through whatever means, but are you the actual owner of each title when you purchase this system?

Sony is almost certainly going to take the stance that these games are licensed to play on this device only, same as with a disc which is licensed to play inside a Sony game device, or a digital download which is licensed to play on a Sony device you've logged into (? i don't know the playstation store restrictions). That may not be the limit of your legal rights, but it's Sony's stance. I'm personally ok with plausible licensing for personal use -- I own a physical copy of the game, therefore I can play that particular edition in a reasonable way; this sometimes involves copying things in ways that violate the terms of the license or copyright law, but shh.

Sony is almost certainly going to take the stance that these games are licensed to play on this device only, same as with a disc which is licensed to play inside a Sony game device, or a digital download which is licensed to play on a Sony device you've logged into (? i don't know the playstation store restrictions). That may not be the limit of your legal rights, but it's Sony's stance. I'm personally ok with plausible licensing for personal use -- I own a physical copy of the game, therefore I can play that particular edition in a reasonable way; this sometimes involves copying things in ways that violate the terms of the license or copyright law, but shh.

Technically, PS1 (and PS2) era games had no copy-protection; you can just slap then in a CD/DVD burner and rip an ISO to make a SW backup, which is permissible under the DMCA. Heck, I think even PS3 games are readable if you somehow have a Blu-Ray burner.

As for the legal question of "Do you own a license to use the game that is already pre-loaded on the console", I could see that argument going both ways; on one hand the games can be seen no different then any other PSN game you purchase/downloaded, but on the other the titles are tied to the physical HW and not an individual account which raises questions that come with HW re-sellers.

SRL and other administrative communities will accept it as an official release. They do the same with Nintendo's Virtual Console, which is also just an emulator.

Technically, PS1 (and PS2) era games had no copy-protection; you can just slap then in a CD/DVD burner and rip an ISO to make a SW backup, which is permissible under the DMCA. Heck, I think even PS3 games are readable if you somehow have a Blu-Ray burner.

As for the legal question of "Do you own a license to use the game that is already pre-loaded on the console", I could see that argument going both ways; on one hand the games can be seen no different then any other PSN game you purchase/downloaded, but on the other the titles are tied to the physical HW and not an individual account which raises questions that come with HW re-sellers.
Most certainly PS1 and PS2 games did have copy protections. You couldn't just copy and play them on a unmodified console. They had physical checks engraved into disc that no burner could copy.

Most certainly PS1 and PS2 games did have copy protections. You couldn't just copy and play them on a unmodified console. They had physical checks engraved into disc that no burner could copy.
IIRC, wasn't it just a ring in the inner part of the CD?

Was easy to bypass with the Gameshark that used the I/O port on the original version of the console. It only cost like $20 for the Gameshark.

Not entirely true there were a few burners that could until they forced manufactures to remove that ability, I had a TEAC drive that could do it.

It was a laser head wobble programmed into the burning process, that was read one the console. An ISO could be copied, but if you burn the disk it wont read it.

i could never get disk swapping to work.

bullshit lol

Not entirely true there were a few burners that could until they forced manufactures to remove that ability, I had a TEAC drive that could do it.
I was deep in the pirating ps1 games when I was a kid and didn't recall any drives like that. At least none during relevant time of release.

Right, but I'm talking about making a local backup to an ISO, which is and was trivial. And the PS1 copy protection could be defeated via disk swapping, or better yet, a gameshark.

Was easy to bypass with the Gameshark that used the I/O port on the original version of the console. It only cost like $20 for the Gameshark.

I had one of those. The original also had a slightly better GPU but slower CD reader than the PSone. Lesser known fact back then. I also had several gamesharks including the ones with the physical switches. Good times. I actually only just gave it to a goodwill a few years ago. Thing was a tank.

As new t.v.'s came out I also upgraded on the display adapters(rca>s-video>component) for it and a slim PS2.

apparently input lag is a thing.

i once tried to use my ps1 on a modern tv and it was horrible. turning on and off game mode didn't even help.

a crt and an og PS1 is a better way to go.

apparently input lag is a thing.

i once tried to use my ps1 on a modern tv and it was horrible. turning on and off game mode didn't even help.

a crt and an og PS1 is a better way to go.

Pretty sure that has to do with the controller input settings; I know some input configurations have some lag problems.

Which goes back to using the emulator at default settings.

Back