A graphical picture of A64 overclocking

deeppow

Limp Gawd
After having read a zillion A64 overclocking guide ---- many with conflicting directions and terminology (even within their own writings), I decided to try and draw a picture of what was being said in the majority of them. As the old saying goes "a picture is worth a thousand words," assuming it is the right picture of course.

I end up with a picture that represents two processes. One process reflects the speed determination/management of the various parts of the A64 system (and its multipliers) and the other part reflects a simple representation of the data flow (computational portion only) that arises from the speeds of the various physical system parts.

A64_speed_bus.jpg

I'm sure it requires significant improvement (and possibily even placed in the trash) but it is my pictorial interpretation of the various multipliers and how they affect data communication.
biggrin.gif

Corrections with feedback VERY welcome.

I dont see where you include that the htt controls the frequency of the clock. Not to mention that anyone who doesnt know what their looking at wont know what the heck that is. =)

Nice effort. Can't deny that..

But MEM speed into CPU is NOT 1600mhz. It's still your stock HT*2, not not HT*8. If A64's could recieve/access RAM at 1600mhz, intel would be NO MORE.

What you're thinking of is the 1600mhz that a64's are rated for. That's their maximum comlink speed to the Northbridge. The fastest available now is 1000mhz, by chipsets such as KV8 Pro. But this has nothing to do with memory. It's still @ 400mhz stock speeds.

Okay.

Great idea, and very interesting :)

But I don't see how you can paint an accurate picture of what's going off without including the onboard cache, and how that interacts with the rest of the memory.

Back