A good WoW class...

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I'm getting WoW, and I was wondering what a good class would be profession,race, class etc

My pick so far

Race- Tauren

Profession - Blacksmith (So I can build and sell my own armor!)

Class - Warrior

Well here's my advice...

Warrior is, generally, a very popular class. There's lots of them. Lots and lots. Tons. However, good ones are few and far between. Today alone, I probably got 10 whispers for pick-up groups in need of a tank. I'm 52, so these were all Sunken Temple or Mauradon. There were even "Hey, when get out of Mauradon, do you want to go again?" whispers.

If you're good, you'll probably be fine at Warrior. But to be sure, it's good to go to Warcraftrealms.com and check your preferred server's imbalance. Just don't decide you'd rather be a Hunter or Rogue, there's even more of those.

Blacksmith seems all good and glorius, but for the most part it's overrated. The armor you can make for yourself doesn't come often enough, and it only comes once. Sure you may lose the temporary satisfaction of having made your own armor, but that doesn't matter much when you're Lvl 60 chugging away for Epics. The only time I would recommend Blacksmith is if you're a hardcore player, who is willing to work to sell his wares.

IMHO, the best choice for prefessions is Herbalism/Alchemy or Mining/Engineering. Thse both has the largest utility in PvE and PvP, and neither one will stop paying. Of course, any crafting profession will work if you're one of few high-end crafters, but it's going to take you a long time to get there. Alchemy is one of my personal favorites because you can transmute daily, for a good sum of money. On my server I stopped playing, 2 Tailors and 1 Alchemist have earned me over 500g in the bank because I log on every day or so :p

I'm really addicted to playing my Rogue. There's just nothing more satisfying in PvP than your victim not knowing you're there.

Tekara said:
I'll second engineering, after watching a friend of mine take on three horde members 10 levels higher than him with his bombs and mortors I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't use it.
Especially as a hunter.

Any hunter that doesn't take engineering is gimping themselves.

it's all about the jumper cables.

what kind of lesser played classes would you recommend? I played over lan with my buddies last year, and druid was really fun, but that was because the health regen was different and i could perma entangle, run away and regen mana, then come back and do more damage. Was fun killing level 55 ancients at level 30 or so.

My friend plays on blizz servers and he says druids can still perma entangle but the problem is mana. How viable are druids on blizz servers? Are all the super bosses immune to everything (i.e. entangle).

I think being a rogue would be fun, but it seems there are too many of those. I don't really want to be a warrior or paladin or something like that. Hunter seems like too much work. It reminds me of the Lone Druid on DOTA (warcraft 3 scenario), and I hate him. The micro is very time consuming, it's not really what I'm after in a RPG. I don't know if i really want to be a mage type (there are a lot of those, right?), it seems like they must suck b/c of the whole massive cast times on everything.

Are there any other classes that I didnt mention?

IMO the best under played class is a druid however they seem gimped sometimes because there are some many options to use with them. If you choose the wrong one and your in a key position like main healer in a five man instance, u can wipe ur group. However if you know the ins and outs of the class you can be effective in any situation possible and save you and your groups but in both pvp and pve.

strikeout said:
IMO the best under played class is a druid however they seem gimped sometimes because there are some many options to use with them. If you choose the wrong one and your in a key position like main healer in a five man instance, u can wipe ur group. However if you know the ins and outs of the class you can be effective in any situation possible and save you and your groups but in both pvp and pve.

just as a quick rundown, how much would you put into each area of a druid? Like how would you split healing, magic blasts (offensive spells), buffs, cat form, bear form, water form, and just general druid form?

Chosing a class is a fairly difficult. For one thing, you're not going to really understand how a class works until you get past level 15 (18 is recommended for the first alliance dungeon, I think horde's first is 16 or 17) and start doing instances (dungeons) where you're required to work in a group & play your role. You're looking at about a day's work to get a character to this point (if not more). Even at that, many classes don't really 'open up' until later - level 30 or 40.

When you're soloing, every class is pretty much the same - you just kill monsters - a solo priest is like a weak mage, and a warrior is just a slow rogue. In an instance, however, things change dramatically. In there, the priest (maybe a druid, shaman or paladin (ugh)) and the warrior (or druid or paladin) don't focus on doing damage - they focus on taking damage for the party. The warrior ('tank') sits in front and his only real purpose is to get hit by the monsters (and keep their attention so they're not hitting other, weaker, party members). The healer's main job is to keep the tank alive - other players are secondary. Everyone else gets to handle actually dishing out the damage (if they're any good, they won't dish out so much damage that the monsters start attacking them instead of the tank, they should also watch out for any monsters that break away & go after the priest).

Warriors are generally going to be tanks. If you don't want to tank, pick a different class.

As for profession, don't expect that the gear you make will be of any use to you (with the exception of very low and very high levels) with tailoring, blacksmithing or leatherworking. You'd really be better off picking a pair of gathering professions, either skinning/mining or skinning/herbalism, and using the money you make from them to buy the gear you want - raw materials are too time consuming to gather and too expensive at the Auction House. The important thing with gathering is to start ASAP - if you wait until level 20, you'll be running around killing no-exp mobs trying to get your skill up.

Russ said:
just as a quick rundown, how much would you put into each area of a druid? Like how would you split healing, magic blasts (offensive spells), buffs, cat form, bear form, water form, and just general druid form?

it depends on what you want to be, if you wanna be popular in groups i say put most of your points into restoration and put some into balance ( for nuking spells). Feral builds are kinda like WTF? so most ppl ignore that part of the tree. a 50/50 restoration/balance seems to be popular. Back when i was paladin, i was dissappointed that it wasnt the warrior that heals type scenario, neither did was a feral/restoration druid.

if wanna be mage that heals spamming moonfire all day go balance with some restoration.
if you wanna be a not so fragile heal bot go mostly restoration with some feral put into bear so you can pop into a bear and not die so that someone can save you.

the feral form can go stealth right? I like the idea of being able to stealth at least in a minor degree, would that be possible?

I kinda like the idea of entangling/moonfiring (nuking)/healing more than a not so fragile healbot. But my question is once i get to be level 60 and start doing uber instances for epics and stuff would my nukes be useless?

I don't want to be that kind of player that has like 10 different characters all kinda good, but not really. I want to have one really freaking strong character. That would put me as spending a lot of time doing level 60 instances I think. I don't want to put stuff into things that won't be useful at that point of the game. What kind of druid would you make for that?

---
edit: and what kind of professions would you pick? I want stuff that's good REALLY late game. I think my eventual goal is to deck out my char in either the best or second best set of epics.

wether or not ur a feral build you can change into any of the forms,travel, bear,cat,sea lion(quests). Yes the cat gives stealth but i dont know the specifics of it. I think stealh is a ability you can do and you dont need to put points into it.

i always like doing professions that i would personally consume not for a profit. On my old paladin i even learned invulnerable mail plans back when it was godly. Its not so much now. If i were a druid i would go herb/alch.

ok, so what kind of druid would be best really late game? and what professions late game?

My real question about what kind of druid is are the damage spells and entangling roots still worth it? I'm fine with struggling a bit early in order to have better skills late game.

the thing is late in the game everyone overlaps each other ppl tend want only one thing from a
certain class. Ex would be holy/disp only priests even tho shadow ones are awesome. PPL want ice mages for MC even tho fire/arc really shines. Late in the game, ppl will want you to heal and basically be an assisnt with buffs and HoT. That is the life of a hybrid ask any paladin,shaman, or druid what ppl ask them to do in a 40 man instance? heal/buff.

pvp on the other hand, ppl die way to fast so you can really do more damage as its more like buff/heal first but when all hell breaks loose even man for himself. If you plan on getting your high end gear from rep from alterec valley a nice balace/restoration would do you well.

my advise is go with the balance/restoration one till 58 or so, then when you need bigger heals for bigger man raids go with the heavy restoration build later. If you dont like it respec again it only costs a few gold the first few times.

strikeout said:
the thing is late in the game everyone overlaps each other ppl tend want only one thing from a
certain class. Ex would be holy/disp only priests even tho shadow ones are awesome. PPL want ice mages for MC even tho fire/arc really shines. Late in the game, ppl will want you to heal and basically be an assisnt with buffs and HoT. That is the life of a hybrid ask any paladin,shaman, or druid what ppl ask them to do in a 40 man instance? heal/buff.

pvp on the other hand, ppl die way to fast so you can really do more damage as its more like buff/heal first but when all hell breaks loose even man for himself. If you plan on getting your high end gear from rep from alterec valley a nice balace/restoration would do you well.

my advise is go with the balance/restoration one till 58 or so, then when you need bigger heals for bigger man raids go with the heavy restoration build later. If you dont like it respec again it only costs a few gold the first few times.

ok. balance is the term for the druids nuking spells? I can't remember from when I played. Do all the nukes suck in bigger man raids?

What about professions? Any ones that are specifically good to the druid?

yeah balance is the ranged spells, its not that nuking isnt bad, its just its not ur job to be a ranged damage dealer. that that is the roll of the hunter or mage. keeping your tank alive with a instant heal followed by HoT(heal over time) is much more efficient use of MP than spamming moonfire on something for 250 a hit that barely dents him.

i like alch/herb because lots of good buffs and you can sell stuff to make money.

alchemy, herb. what would I be doing in those classes/professions? All gathering stuff?

Sounds like a good idea to go balance for most of the game then retrain to go mostly healing I guess. I forgot you could retrain.

yeah u gather stuff via herb and make em into potions via alchemy, good ones are the +armor, swiftness potions, fire resists. I remember a stack of the high end fire resists pots going for 10g a stack. good way to get em was do a few runs of BRD and kill the fire elementals. Dont forget trasmuting arcanite, thats an extra 5g-10g every few days.

strikeout said:
yeah u gather stuff via herb and make em into potions via alchemy, good ones are the +armor, swiftness potions, fire resists. I remember a stack of the high end fire resists pots going for 10g a stack. good way to get em was do a few runs of BRD and kill the fire elementals. Dont forget trasmuting arcanite, thats an extra 5g-10g every few days.

cool, sounds like they really fit together.

So, horde or alliance? My only options for druid are night elf or tauren right?

I kind of prefer night elf, but I don't want to be with the majority really.

i agree with DudeItsMe, ive got a lvl 60 warrior and i love him, but im building a mage(lvl 41), priest(lvl 44) and rogue(lvl 40). I really enjoy the mage and rogue alot. They are fun and heavy damage. IMO the priest is just a pain in the ass, just my thoughts.

about professon, dont pick up a producing profession until your close to lvl 60, as money is going to be more important to you than making your own armor, the only armor i see worn in and consisstant fasion is the imperial plate set, followed by the enchanted thorium stuff, but there are much better peices that are drops or quest rewards. So my recomendation is to pick up two gatering profession to make you money until later in the game. Skinning as real potential as there are skinnable animals everywhere, and herbalism is another good choice, mining not as much as prices on my server have plumited.

These are just my opinions, no thing more.

I have a 60 druid that I have stopped playing it due to that feeling of being a jack of all trades but a master of none. Some people love playing the druid, but I am not a fan of it.

If you are going to go druid, my advice would be go feral till your like 56+, then hit the restore tree to innervate.

I'm a level 60 druid with 30 feral / 21 restore. the 26-30 points in feral get me Heart of the Wild which gets me a 20% mana boost in caster form, 20% strength boost in cat and a 20% stamina boost in bear form. The 21 point in restore is Nature's Swiftness which allows for insta-heals, which is a life saver in those "Holy Crap!" moments.

When I was leveling I was restoration specced with a few points in balance and soloing got to be really slow. Since I've switched to feral I kill guys a lot faster and have more fun doing it. The one thing I miss from the restoration tree is having the Subtelty talent maxed out, I have to really watch myself in 5-man instances if I'm the main healer because without subtelty I'll aggro all the adds that aren't being tanked. With a good tank it's usually not a problem, with a bad tank though...

Innervate is useful, but it's not as important as everybody likes to think it is. If you're in a raid that depends on innervate your priests are doing something wrong. With the druids that I raid with two have Leader of the Pack (31 pt feral) two are Moonkin's (31pt balance) and the rest are mixes like myself without a 31 point talent.

oh yeah, and if you go druid herbalism is a good choice for a gathering profession because you can pick herbs in form. Herbs make some good money, they're always in demand and travel form makes picking a little less tedious.

Dont go with one toon. Create and play one of each class to see what you like to do and what fits your play style, don't limit yourself. Plus this is a good way to level, play one toon while your other ones are geting rest state, play them etc.

Having said that, I am lovin my hunter right now, i have a 60 lock and they can be rather fun, shaman is ok, have not played any of my others for a while now. Priest and healers are always in demand. Most times when we have a group fail to get going for something it is because of a lack of healers and sometimes a lack of a main tank.

I'd add skinning and leather working to being good money makers, Up untill i got mail the armor i was making with LW was almost always better than stuff i was finding or could buy of AH. Your big money makers are going to be any gathering skill, selling the raw materials often make you more gold than selling and item made from those mats. Crafting is good to on request but selling the mats will get you more faster i think.

Join stormscale roll horde and look for Hard members, few on other servers as well.
:)

shaman are pretty sick they have magic (healing and offensive), totems (bonuses) and can melee pretty decently. Also they have astral recall which will allow you to drop the hearth stone and free up a space in your bag.

hmm... should i sign on wow again...?

if you're going to be a horde warrior, go with the orc race for their 25% stun resist...

I am on a PVE server and he is right, dont do it. I mean its easier and you can do things without having to worry about being ganked, but I have experienced characters from 1-60 on a PVP and PVE server. PVP is more rewarding imo, its just the atmosphire(SP?).

I started an Orc Rogue on Stormreaver on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

The 2nd most important part of picking your character has got to be PICKING YOUR FRIENDS.

For example: I'm a rogue. I am basically defenseless, so I have to kill things quick. A girl I've been playing with since like level 13 is a mage. She's had problems killing things...but at least provided a distraction to help me kill the elites and mobs faster.

the benefit of this grouping? She can make me health pots...and I can give her all the mana and protection she needs.

I'm in a guild where we're all spread out...and the guild honestly hasn't done anything for me yet....but I can count on her for a half dozen health potions whenever I need them.

i would play a couple different classes to level 15-20 or so and see what you like. I started with a mage (60), now working up a warlock (40), druid (33) and hunter (18). also have a lowbie rogue, warrior, and shaman. Only thing I haven't at least started (yet) is a paladin.

someone mentioned dropping the hearthstone for shaman's since you have astral recall. I'm not familiar with that, but if i assume correctly, wouldnt you want to keep it so you can port to 2 places? your hearth spot or astral spot? I really miss porting with my mage.

from a soloing standpoint:

my mage was always pretty good and easy to play. several very good escape methods, good damage and crowd control, but lots of downtime for mana recovery. Good for a first character I think, because you don't rely on your gear for damage, so you can let it slide a bit.

my warlock (current main) was somewhat difficult at first, had some trouble escaping. Now that I have some better control (talent: curse of exhaustion) this guy is very powerful, I would say moreso than the mage. He doesn't kill quickly like the mage, but he can fight for quite a while and deal with adds more easily. its very easy to kite mobs now, even high oranges. not the fast way to level, but if you just want to finish a quest its great.

The druid has great versatility: bear for tanking, cat for melee dps and stealth, travel form, heals, and some nuking. moonfire spam drains mana too quickly for my taste, I use it when opening to let the DoT do its thing. more reliant on gear though since you're taking hits, I think thats slowing down my progress.

the mage works well in a group, the warlock not as much, since DoT's are somewhat wasted (they die too quick) unless you're doing elites.

black_b[ ]x said:
someone mentioned dropping the hearthstone for shaman's since you have astral recall. I'm not familiar with that, but if i assume correctly, wouldnt you want to keep it so you can port to 2 places? your hearth spot or astral spot? I really miss porting with my mage.
You assume incorrectly. A shaman's Astral Recall and Hearthstone points are one and the same. And I've never gotten rid of my Hearthstone... and I probably never will.

As for PvP vs. PvE, it's all up to the person. I like being able to choose when I PvP, instead of having it forced upon me at any given moment.

I'm on a PvE server, at the time I didn't know the difference, I just chose the one my friends were on. (They were already 60 and just starting MC when I started)

I don't mind it that much since it lets me concentrate on game content and not worry about getting ganked all the time. Sometimes I wish I could crush those who try to ninja herbs out from under me, but overall I don't really care either way.

"I love you, you love me, unless you're flagged for PvP"

To really get to know a class you have to level it up to 40. You get a general idea by the time you're 20-30 but tons of the class defining talents and skills don't come until 40, which is when you pretty much have all skills and can get a 31st talent point.

Ie. Mortal Strike for Warriors, Shadowform for priests, etc.

You don't even get berserker stance and whirlwind until 30 for Warriors.

Yes you can change your professions, and you can change your talent build, but it gets pricey fast. First one is 1g, then 5/10/15/20....so on, till you hit the cap of 50g. No charge to change the professions, other than the cost of learning a new profession (10b?) something like that.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
So we can change skills later in the game?

Yes, but the engineering skill is a little buggy. As you skill up engineering you can choose either Goblin or Gnomish engineering. This is permanent, if you choose goblin you can never have Gnomish even if you drop engineering and then try to reskill it up. Also since there's some non-repeatable quests involved in choosing either goblin or gnomish if you do drop engineering and try to relearn it, you will be unable to relearn the schematics taught by the vendors even if you kept the same specialization. This is a known issue and can be corrected by contacting a GM, but it's a very slow and painful process.

Any time you drop a profession you forget all the recipes/patterns/schematics you have learned. So think twice before dropping a craftsman profession if you have a lot of rare or expensive skills.

I started up an allience Warlock last night, first time playing the lock. I like it, I have a 45 rogue, but there are 10000000 rogues, so I wanted something that would be in demand, and I have seen very very few Warlocks. Seems cool so far. I was wondering, does anyone have a warlock, if so, whats a good spec for grinding/leveling? I know very little about the warlock class.

This is for my "playingwithmygirlfriend" account, Im a [H]orde guy at heart, but she likes the pretty allience characters.

Mesquite said:
I started up an allience Warlock last night, first time playing the lock. I like it, I have a 45 rogue, but there are 10000000 rogues, so I wanted something that would be in demand, and I have seen very very few Warlocks. Seems cool so far. I was wondering, does anyone have a warlock, if so, whats a good spec for grinding/leveling? I know very little about the warlock class.

This is for my "playingwithmygirlfriend" account, Im a [H]orde guy at heart, but she likes the pretty allience characters.

I have a 53 gnome lock. Warlocks are definitely one of the most if not THE funnest and most complicated class to play. Go the the worldofwarcraft.com forums for an idea on what to spec. One of the greatest parts about a warlock is that it's not a cookie cutter class you can basically spec whatever you want becuase all the talent trees are useful. I specced heavy destruction and now i'm 2 points away from life-tap in the affliction tree which is an amazingly useful spell. Affliction seems pretty badass for PvP. They're all good and they're all fun though. Best advice I can give you is just read through them all and see which one you think you'd like the most.

What professions are you going to do? I'd suggest doing tailoring because you can make some really nice equip as your leveling up. There is also always robe of the void when you hit 57. http://thottbot.com/?i=26068

Back