A good way to upscale consoles to 1080p?

variant

Gawd
I am looking for a device with hdmi output that would upscale various consoles (such as the original Xbox and PS2) to 1080p. Is there such a thing?

A very expensive receiver, a expensive video processor, a high end TV. The results may not be worth the month though.

If you're satisfied with everything else your TV does, some midrange Pioneer, Onkyo, and Denon AV receivers have that capacity and tend to be more reasonably priced if you catch the right sales. Of course, whether or not their upscaling ability will benefit anything will depend on the quality of your tv's electronics and the quality of the video processor in the receiver. As a bonus, you can throw in some decent speakers and enjoy a considerable sound quality boost over your TV's built in speakers.

A few options recently discussed in the hotdeals forum here at [H] (some of which may or may not be expired):

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1594834
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1592519

You'd want to carefully research the upscaler / video processor in whichever unit you're thinking about. AVSforum will be a good resource.

Last edited:
A very expensive receiver, a expensive video processor, a high end TV. The results may not be worth the month though.

You don't need the high end TV or the high end receiver necessarily to use a video processor.

Try googling video processor.

Something like this would do the trick....

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tests-reviews/miscellaneous/2009/01/dvdo-edge-video-processor

The biggest problem with consoles older than the PS2/Xbox is good video output. Composite video sucks. S-video and SCART mods abound for the PS1/Saturn and before era.

Unless your TV sucks, the scaler in a midrange receiver is probably not that much better than your display's scaler.

Hunt down one of the early models of the PS3 with backwards compatibility, and you can upscale inside the unit and play over HDMI. The xbox 360 has some kind of backwards compatibility too I think.

Not really worth it, but if your tv's upscaling is particularly bad then it might make a difference.

My Denon AVR-1910 does a MUCH better job at upscaling PS2 than my Samsung LCD TV does. Going from the PS2 directly into the TV via component resulted in what is best described as vertical scanlines across the entire image. However, when I use the Denon to upscale the image to 1080p over HDMI, the "scan lines" are completely absent, and the resulting image is VERY nice.

I am looking for a device with hdmi output that would upscale various consoles (such as the original Xbox and PS2) to 1080p. Is there such a thing?
Most importantly is to get the component cables for those systems. If you get them, you can run the systems at 480p. If you have a 1080p TV that lets you adjust the format, you can put it in a 4:3 mode @ 480p. It won't look great but at least it won't be distorted and will look better than just composite video.

My Denon AVR-1910 does a MUCH better job at upscaling PS2 than my Samsung LCD TV does. Going from the PS2 directly into the TV via component resulted in what is best described as vertical scanlines across the entire image. However, when I use the Denon to upscale the image to 1080p over HDMI, the "scan lines" are completely absent, and the resulting image is VERY nice.

I've had the same experience pretty much. I noticed an image quality improvement when connecting my ps2 to my receiver via component and using hdmi upconversion vs just connecting directly to the TV.

Back