A good small business proxy server?

dirtydr

Gawd
Anyone have a suggestion for a proxy server app for a small company running a 2K AD domain. I am running spector cne for monitoring purposes and it works great. In fact I would highly suggest the program to anyone looking to monitor employees work habits. However, after numerous failed attempts to get the site blocking functionality working with a spector tech, they basically suggested going with a standalone proxy. Looking for something that's not going to break the bank to deploy within the next few months.

http://www.ipcop.org/

ipcop, with advproxy, urlfilter, and block-outgoing-traffic.

That's what we're going to implement.

does AD (LDAP) authentication, Windows (NT) authentication, radius, local... etc.

pretty nice.

Very easy to setup and maintain as well (built from linux, runs it's own custom distro)

KaosDG said:
http://www.ipcop.org/

ipcop, with advproxy, urlfilter, and block-outgoing-traffic.

That's what we're going to implement.

does AD (LDAP) authentication, Windows (NT) authentication, radius, local... etc.

pretty nice.

Very easy to setup and maintain as well (built from linux, runs it's own custom distro)

..or SmoothWall Express 2.0
http://www.smoothwall.org check out the forums and homebrew section for all your "whatever" needs
Advanced Web Proxy and Urlfilter mods are available for smoothwall as well

just for the record .. both SmoothWall and IPCop have the same roots that they are built off of .. both work great and are easy to setup/use , but it seems there is more support/activity in the SmoothWall forums then IPCops forum to get help if you need it.

..one of the things I do at work is set up , configure , maintain SmoothWall boxes with various types of configurations for different needs across our campus ..fun stuff! :)

ThreeDee said:
..or SmoothWall Express 2.0
http://www.smoothwall.org check out the forums and homebrew section for all your "whatever" needs
Advanced Web Proxy and Urlfilter mods are available for smoothwall as well

Ditto on the smooth wall. I am going to be implementing it after we rebuild out current novell tree.

That smoothwall looks pretty sexy if that is possible for a piece of software. The extent of my linux knowledge is extremely limited. As in I have played around with mandrake a little to try and get some of the basic concepts. With that in mind, is it fairly easy for a rookie to implement? I see that is a stated goal, no linux experience necessary, but how close is it in reality?

if youre into it, squid for linux. I've used it a lot before at home, now given thats not a large it environment, but works well.

dirtydr said:
That smoothwall looks pretty sexy if that is possible for a piece of software. The extent of my linux knowledge is extremely limited. As in I have played around with mandrake a little to try and get some of the basic concepts. With that in mind, is it fairly easy for a rookie to implement? I see that is a stated goal, no linux experience necessary, but how close is it in reality?

Well that's the benefit of these packages, it's pretty much a web interface that runs on top of common linux/*nix utilities (IPTables, Squid, etc).

You really don't need to know much at all about linux to get it implemented.

I can't speak for smoothwall, but I know IPCop allows console/SSH access, though they really limited the userland tools that are available to you.

I knew absolutely nothing about linux let alone smoothwall and even my networking knowledge was sub-noob level before I jumped into setting up smoothwall boxes.. the stuff I am learning (have learned ) in setting up smoothie boxes have helped immensely in learning some basic linux "stuff".

The directions provided with most mods with how to install and use are very easy to follow (if I could get it ..anybody can) .. and if you run into a snag , just list what your prob is in the appropriate mods thread and you'll get help fairly quick (usually anyways). .. or if I am familiar with the mod , I might be able to help you as I play with a lot of mods to see if its something we can use campus wide or not.

..bottom line , if you know how to follow directions ...then its a piece of cake

winscp ..move files to /tmp
putty ...cd /tmp ..copy , paste , enter ..copy , paste , enter ...
:p

Finally got around to trying out smoothwall 2.0 on a spare box. P Pro200, 32MB ram, 1.2GB hdd lol. Though I do have faster machines laying around I wanted to really test this out on the oldest, crappiest machine just for the sake of doing it. Smoothwall runs great even on this ancient machine. Had a small issue patching the system (patches 7 & 8) due to the limited memory, but creating an additional 32MB temporary swapfile solved the problem.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions all!

they have a fixes 1-8 iso you can download and make your install cd off of that ..saves the hassle of going thru installing each fix (and the rebooting you have to do after each fix is installed).

[F]old|[H]ard
(no report for this post)

Cool... have to grab that and create an updated installer. :) I cant believe I have missed out on this great piece of software for so long! Other than wap functionality, there is no need for a *insert favorite cheap router brand* anymore.

Time permitting, hopefully next weekend, I'll try out ipcop on another 'classic series' box to check out the differences between the two.

NetWhiz over there is working on a captive portal mod which will be handy for a wap type scenerio ..and you might want to look into the blue interface mod to setup your wap on .. i use it for mine with dansguardian with clam av mod and FFC mod , Blocklist manager, Super kernel and host of others .. I have the same name over on forums there ..

be sure to look in the home brew section and summary of mods there to see what would be useful to you

i know its a bit late in the game but I recommend pfSense as a router. It has a pretty neat package system so its easy to add in extra functionality.

Back