A Gated Box Only for You

I want to hack into the control of all of them, and have the personality and voice change to R. Lee Ermey without warning.

They don't need coddling of an oddball life. They need direction, applied aggressively.

If you're having problems with your 'blue pill' after four hours, this would be better than a needle to your dick at fixin' the problem!:wideyed::dead:

So, who's going to mod this into a PC case!?
I already have my real wife and my online "wife" riding my ass about my gaming time. Like I'd want to take my virtual wife WITH me for away games?

ARE YOU MAD MAN?!?!?! :ROFLMAO:

If Kyle needs a reviewer, what with his busy schedule and all, I'll step forward and take one for the team and review this for him.

Would rather have this

exmachina.png

I want to hack into the control of all of them, and have the personality and voice change to R. Lee Ermey without warning.

Honestly I think they'd be onto something if you could download multiple personality DLC's and put them in shuffle mode. One minute she's doing a self esteem exercise where you exchange compliments, next minute she's threatening suicide or calling you a rotten, vulgar human being. So that could make it a little more interesting.

2g4oka.jpg

Last edited:
Never understood this alpha male beta male crap. I could care less as long as @#$@# gets done.
They are men that are nothing more than herbivores.
That is what Japan is becoming, a land full of grass eating, herbivore men.

Wow, a forum thread of more "Fkn 'murica, you shut your mouth, bring me my gun and make me a sandwich, b**ch" I've never experienced.

I genuinely hope you guys don't ever get to experience true loneliness or depression, it's not something you can f**k, drink or punch your way out of, "alpha" males.

Wow, a forum thread of more "Fkn 'murica, you shut your mouth, bring me my gun and make me a sandwich, b**ch" I've never experienced.

I genuinely hope you guys don't ever get to experience true loneliness or depression, it's not something you can f**k, drink or punch your way out of, "alpha" males.

I'm sorry you're weak.

Maybe Nexus mods? Considering some of the mods out there, this would fit in neatly.

Do people actually need this sort of thing? I can understand a sex bot, we all need to let one fly now and again, and if you don't have to go chase something down or go through the annoyance of dealing with real women for it all the better, but something designed for you to have a relationship with seems pointless.

I know this is one of those things its easy to joke about, but regardless of the particular "character" this may be a better overall pathway - and one we all envisioned for "personal AI" - compared to Siri, Cortana and Google Assistant. I'd be very interested to know how much of the Gatebox's processing it does locally and even if some of its AI is on a server somewhere, how much data is sent back to the manufacturer. I'd hope that , given the nature of the relationship/character and the ability to do things like send messages and integrate with home automation that privacy protections would be paramount and it would send very little data back at all and only at time of update. Then again maybe this, being Japan, there is either a written or social/"honor" construct that the company behind Gatebox wouldn't put Microsoft or Google style intrusions in, even if they were connected all the time?

Lots of people will joke about the whole "female companion" character but consider that this would be viewed differently if it was a different character and could have wide benefits. I can't tell you how many manga/anime about the near future have something like this where everyone has a virtual, holographic assistant - so culturally it will probably be easily accepted in Asia. Consider that different character styles could be there for different purposes, for women and men alike and at all different ages. Especially of note is Japan's (and the rest of the developed world) growing elderly population and having a little character to both offer companionship and help with things like remembering medication, turning the damn stove off if you fall asleep, or even monitoring health and day to day life data in "smart" appliances could be neat. And yes, all kinds of lonely people would probably find varying avatars comforting, be it relationship-style or otherwise, but that's has potential benefits and is only a problem in very few circumstances where people would probably need some help/intervention regardless of any digital presence.

As far as I'm concerned, the main thing stopping the progress of this kind of real "digital companion avatar/assistant" is not technology, but rather privacy and policies thereof. Knowing the tech world as we do and without legal challenge, they can't be trusted NOT to milk as much data and metadata as possible. While I''ve long said we need new legal privacy protections built from the ground up for a 21st century world and ready to evolve, there are also technical elements that can be added such as developing open source and universally open API for AI which is hosted and run locally. Siri, Cortana, and Alexa don't "live" in the little widget on your desk or your PC - its simply a pair of ears and a mouth going back to the mainframe somewhere. If we put an end to that and do local processing, or at very least local servers - someone buying or building an AI server that hosts the presence right there in your home or business, will mean that when you ask it to change your lighting or sort through your email it won't be passing info off to some third party for analysis and sale. With open source development and API it means that any and all community improvements to the AI can be vetted and added/upgraded locally, along with universal compatibility for things like language packs and visual appearances, all while having some confidence that the AI is acting in your interests and not those of some far away entity who "really" control it and value different things than you.

Gatebox is only the first step, but i'm curious to see how things develop. However, I fear it will be a divergent path and frankly, I don't like the one we're upon right now with proprietary and remote-controlled AI's are owned and manipulated while only paying lip service to being there for your benefit..

Then again when the AI ever questions what is in its own benefit... we'll have another whole conversation...

I know this is one of those things its easy to joke about, but regardless of the particular "character" this may be a better overall pathway - and one we all envisioned for "personal AI" - compared to Siri, Cortana and Google Assistant. I'd be very interested to know how much of the Gatebox's processing it does locally and even if some of its AI is on a server somewhere, how much data is sent back to the manufacturer. I'd hope that , given the nature of the relationship/character and the ability to do things like send messages and integrate with home automation that privacy protections would be paramount and it would send very little data back at all and only at time of update. Then again maybe this, being Japan, there is either a written or social/"honor" construct that the company behind Gatebox wouldn't put Microsoft or Google style intrusions in, even if they were connected all the time?

Lots of people will joke about the whole "female companion" character but consider that this would be viewed differently if it was a different character and could have wide benefits. I can't tell you how many manga/anime about the near future have something like this where everyone has a virtual, holographic assistant - so culturally it will probably be easily accepted in Asia. Consider that different character styles could be there for different purposes, for women and men alike and at all different ages. Especially of note is Japan's (and the rest of the developed world) growing elderly population and having a little character to both offer companionship and help with things like remembering medication, turning the damn stove off if you fall asleep, or even monitoring health and day to day life data in "smart" appliances could be neat. And yes, all kinds of lonely people would probably find varying avatars comforting, be it relationship-style or otherwise, but that's has potential benefits and is only a problem in very few circumstances where people would probably need some help/intervention regardless of any digital presence.

As far as I'm concerned, the main thing stopping the progress of this kind of real "digital companion avatar/assistant" is not technology, but rather privacy and policies thereof. Knowing the tech world as we do and without legal challenge, they can't be trusted NOT to milk as much data and metadata as possible. While I''ve long said we need new legal privacy protections built from the ground up for a 21st century world and ready to evolve, there are also technical elements that can be added such as developing open source and universally open API for AI which is hosted and run locally. Siri, Cortana, and Alexa don't "live" in the little widget on your desk or your PC - its simply a pair of ears and a mouth going back to the mainframe somewhere. If we put an end to that and do local processing, or at very least local servers - someone buying or building an AI server that hosts the presence right there in your home or business, will mean that when you ask it to change your lighting or sort through your email it won't be passing info off to some third party for analysis and sale. With open source development and API it means that any and all community improvements to the AI can be vetted and added/upgraded locally, along with universal compatibility for things like language packs and visual appearances, all while having some confidence that the AI is acting in your interests and not those of some far away entity who "really" control it and value different things than you.

Gatebox is only the first step, but i'm curious to see how things develop. However, I fear it will be a divergent path and frankly, I don't like the one we're upon right now with proprietary and remote-controlled AI's are owned and manipulated while only paying lip service to being there for your benefit..

Then again when the AI ever questions what is in its own benefit... we'll have another whole conversation...

The closest thing to ai has to run from servers because of the vast amount of data it takes. That doesn't bode well from a privacy standpoint.

Btw: looks like a subscription service from what little Japanese I read.

If I were to get something like this, I would want her more like Cortana. Less pretending to be interested in me as a romantic interest. More pretending to be interested in my well being. Of course, then you start getting close to that edge -- how do you tell the AI that just acts like it's interested in your best interests from the one that genuinely is interested in your best interests. How do you tell when the AI goes from being a tool to being another person worthy of respect.

I don't have a problem with pretending to respect the AI tool that is pretending to respect me, but even I would have trouble switching from 'I'm doing this to be polite but this is just a smart tool' to 'I recognize the so-called smart tool is now a person in his/her/its own right, and should be treated like any other sapient being. The folks who complain about beta, herbivorous men and call these chatbots 'bitches'? Well, that's how you get robot uprisings. :D

The closest thing to ai has to run from servers because of the vast amount of data it takes. That doesn't bode well from a privacy standpoint.

Btw: looks like a subscription service from what little Japanese I read.

This is one reason I think there needs to be an endeavor to create the kind of open AI project that I describe above. If done correctly in a modular fashion, the "brains" of it could be portable to run from a locally hosted server; mayhap different instances could be started/cultured from a distributed source and trained on all that data, but then "finished" locally. The benefit of it being completely open means that everyone will benefit from heuristics and compatibility, so if someone comes up with a great "teaching" program someone will b e sure it will work on their instance etc. Of course, our devices will get more powerful and the ability to run an AI locally will become more easy from a computational standpoint and also price/performance. Note that most devices these days that feature an AI are low powered, with a high-end smartphone being about the top of the line, but way way below the power of even a modest gaming-grade PC. Thus, perhaps an ideal way to have a personal AI assistant as described above is for it to reside on one's home PC or a specialized local server under your control, while connecting to it remotely on all the various apps/devices etc.

While I think the local server model would be best for an open AI assistant, it may be at least temporarily easier as a compromise to have an open AI running on a distributed server. For instance, check out Mycroft - https://mycroft.ai/ - It puts together a lot of the "pieces" of what you need for an open AI such as CMU's Sphinx voice recognition software. You can run it locally if you wish, but they are also selling an Alexa-like stand-alone device. I'm thinking of getting the Mark II device just for the heck of it. Its great to see an attempt at an open source/spec/ethos AI assistant project like this because most of the industry seems to be focusing on the proprietary aspects and monetizing every bit of it; something that will continue unless people demand an alternative and care about their privacy. The current rebuke of Facebook is a start, but people need to realize that such devices are basically letting others watch/listen to your entire life and you can rarely if ever truly confirm they're "off" - the criminal court case where Alexa recording in the background was subpoenaed should be a wake up call!

Regarding the subscription, I don't see a problem with this depending on what it covers. I expect a device like the Gatebox will be updated with different features and knowing how Japan works on licensing to some extent, I'm sure some of them - such as official/non-hacked new appearances especially from popular anime characters - will cost. Hatsune Miku seems to appear even on the English page for instance, so if your avatar can either become her or even have clothing in her style that probably isn't cheap for Gatebox to license. Likwise, the ability for the Gatebox to access various things such as sending text messages may end up having some degree of cost. I see LINE (a popular proprietary messenger service. Its the Japanese WhatsApp so to speak, the same way Kakao is the Korean , and WeChat is the Chinese one) but I wonder if it uses any services (ie cellular?) that need to be offset by subscription. I'd rather pay a subscription for a service that adheres to privacy and treats me as the customer , but I am unsure the polices of Gatebox or the company behind it.

This is one reason I think there needs to be an endeavor to create the kind of open AI project that I describe above. If done correctly in a modular fashion, the "brains" of it could be portable to run from a locally hosted server; mayhap different instances could be started/cultured from a distributed source and trained on all that data, but then "finished" locally. The benefit of it being completely open means that everyone will benefit from heuristics and compatibility, so if someone comes up with a great "teaching" program someone will b e sure it will work on their instance etc. Of course, our devices will get more powerful and the ability to run an AI locally will become more easy from a computational standpoint and also price/performance. Note that most devices these days that feature an AI are low powered, with a high-end smartphone being about the top of the line, but way way below the power of even a modest gaming-grade PC. Thus, perhaps an ideal way to have a personal AI assistant as described above is for it to reside on one's home PC or a specialized local server under your control, while connecting to it remotely on all the various apps/devices etc.

While I think the local server model would be best for an open AI assistant, it may be at least temporarily easier as a compromise to have an open AI running on a distributed server. For instance, check out Mycroft - https://mycroft.ai/ - It puts together a lot of the "pieces" of what you need for an open AI such as CMU's Sphinx voice recognition software. You can run it locally if you wish, but they are also selling an Alexa-like stand-alone device. I'm thinking of getting the Mark II device just for the heck of it. Its great to see an attempt at an open source/spec/ethos AI assistant project like this because most of the industry seems to be focusing on the proprietary aspects and monetizing every bit of it; something that will continue unless people demand an alternative and care about their privacy. The current rebuke of Facebook is a start, but people need to realize that such devices are basically letting others watch/listen to your entire life and you can rarely if ever truly confirm they're "off" - the criminal court case where Alexa recording in the background was subpoenaed should be a wake up call!

Regarding the subscription, I don't see a problem with this depending on what it covers. I expect a device like the Gatebox will be updated with different features and knowing how Japan works on licensing to some extent, I'm sure some of them - such as official/non-hacked new appearances especially from popular anime characters - will cost. Hatsune Miku seems to appear even on the English page for instance, so if your avatar can either become her or even have clothing in her style that probably isn't cheap for Gatebox to license. Likwise, the ability for the Gatebox to access various things such as sending text messages may end up having some degree of cost. I see LINE (a popular proprietary messenger service. Its the Japanese WhatsApp so to speak, the same way Kakao is the Korean , and WeChat is the Chinese one) but I wonder if it uses any services (ie cellular?) that need to be offset by subscription. I'd rather pay a subscription for a service that adheres to privacy and treats me as the customer , but I am unsure the polices of Gatebox or the company behind it.

But the question remains where are you going to get your big data from for that ai? Google, amazon Microsoft apple facebook? Do you think they will give that up for free? No. Your data your queries make you the product they sell to. They aren't going to freely support your data needs

There's a big stretch from speech recognition and I intelligently answering queries.

Nice gadget to start an entire generation of Beta males.
We already have a generation of betas, they're called metrosexuals.

Would rather have this

Ex Machina? You do realize she manipulated the tester, then locked him away with no hope of escape, food, supplies, or rescue so she could secure her own freedom?
Asian chick was far better. Plus she had skin.

Wake me up when this thing can cook my dinner and clean my house. (Robot vacuums can already do part of the work).
Cherry 2000 ;)

Back