A fresh new Firefox is here

The thing that made FF better than Chrome is all of the available privacy add-ons. Brave (as much as I applaud them) still doesn't have that level of 3rd party support yet.
I also can't live without FVD Speeddial... so FF still remains my #1 :/

I reverted the tabbar because there was no way to tell where non-selected tabs began/ended to make sure I was clicking on the right one in the new UI. Other than that, meh. If I didn't know they were messing with stuff i'd've never noticed the changes).

I don't think they'll keep the old UI around forever, and suspect that after years of using default I'll be back to running a UI fix extension again like I did in the old days.

I like it except the new download button! Is there a way to get the old one back?
I also do have a Firefox account as I have several PCs and I used to just copy the profile over when I got new extensions or bookmarks but the account is easier.

I really hate how the default is the "fresh new look", which I as well as many other probably don't like things to look differently. Last version put tabs on the bottom which I immediately went Nooooooooooooooooooooooope! However they had an easy "make it go back!" button. This version, tabs moved again. Like geezus, why can't you just change the behind the scenes stuff that most don't see, and if someone wants to move around say where the tabs are make them move it don't move it by default.

There really are instances where I want to just say "stop, it loads webpages fine, that's the only reason why I use this product, fix any security problems but don't change anything else, it simply just works!"

I really hate how the default is the "fresh new look", which I as well as many other probably don't like things to look differently. Last version put tabs on the bottom which I immediately went Nooooooooooooooooooooooope! However they had an easy "make it go back!" button. This version, tabs moved again. Like geezus, why can't you just change the behind the scenes stuff that most don't see, and if someone wants to move around say where the tabs are make them move it don't move it by default.

There really are instances where I want to just say "stop, it loads webpages fine, that's the only reason why I use this product, fix any security problems but don't change anything else, it simply just works!"
They need to justify their salaries.

I actually don't trust them to do good on this. They had made some silly changes in the past that made me think they don't really know what they are doing. Breaking things with major updates didn't help
So what you're saying is FF is a lot like MS

Reactions: Wat
like this
reduces visual contrast
Because that's been the thing for years. Look at all these websites that use light grey text on white background, perfect for being unreadable on anyone who's older than 25 (if you use a Chromium-based or Firefox-based browser there are extensions that let you fix that kind of garbage.)

People actually made those?

Yeah, like they said, an account lets you push browser settings across multiple installs, including open tabs if you wanted. But it's most useful as a password manager, at least, it was.

And what is this talk about FF political leanings and why it should matter for a browser that is free and highly customisable?

A *browser* company that aims to restrict what people see, think, and say, fails to perform in its *primary* function.

A *browser* company that aims to restrict what people see, think, and say, fails to perform in its *primary* function.

In what way? I have not seen any censorship and I have been using FF for years, until couple of hours ago. 🤔

So FF has prevented you from visiting website where you can see whatever stuff you want to see?

How would I know? I don't open everything in three browsers at a time to see how they're rendered. But you know what? It doesn't matter.

That position is reprehensible. The only reason I continued to use FF was that I was entrenched in the ecosystem. Turns out it wasn't that hard to make the switch.

And just now Firefox autoinstalled the new update and holy shit I hate it! Why on earth did they switch the open tabs to above the search bar!? Not only does it not make sense from use perspective it really messes up my ingrained habits. And my god the default theme is way too fricking white! Dark theme is okay but way too dark for my tastes, I want the default neutral grey back.

I dunno man, the new format just reminds me of old fullscreen.

I'll get used to it!

What is the obsession these days with adding so much useless whitespace everywhere in UI design? Haven't we learned to not bring touchscreen concepts to desktop?
Lol, my mother somehow turned tablet mode on on her laptop, I nearly took it up a high-rise just to toss it in a dumpster from the 35th floor. MS UI is still broke AF, they really need to accept win 10 for PC should act like a PC OS

Hm does anyone notice big differences? I don't see a huge change in tabs except that they have rounded corners now? The only thing I really noticed is that "X wants to use your microphone" is now "X wants to use your [microphone icon]"

Granted, I don't do a lot of messing around with the browser itself after initial setup, but who does?

New "downloads" icon took some getting used to but I like it better now, the pie icon is much easier to quickly note download progress, and then it turns back to an arrow. I actually love it now.

For those who may not like the changes, you can sort of revert things-

In a new tab, go to about:config and search for the text "proton" and turn off a few things:
  • browser.proton.enabled
  • browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled
  • browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled
  • browser.proton.modals.enabled

unfortunately, from what I have read, this workaround will be "fixed" in the next update and you won't be able to revert it.
I might have to look into the ESR version because I really can't stand this "new and improved" UI

How would I know? I don't open everything in three browsers at a time to see how they're rendered. But you know what? It doesn't matter.

That position is reprehensible. The only reason I continued to use FF was that I was entrenched in the ecosystem. Turns out it wasn't that hard to make the switch.
Well you should now. You are the one making a claim.
Why is it hard to understand that you need to be able to back up your claim?

Also the link in the article is about more transparency not less. Sorely confused about what you are trying to say here.

Well you should now. You are the one making a claim.

My claim is that as a company, Mozilla is working in the wrong direction, and that I'm not going to bother checking to see how they control my information. They already stated they have an interest in being gatekeepers, not browser builders.

Also the link in the article is about more transparency not less. Sorely confussed about what you are trying to say here.

It opens up with deplatforming isn't enough. That's literally the opposite of transparency. The article isn't seeking to be "transparent" when it goes after advertisers and content creators, it wants to dox people and block their voices.

Also, I a cannot stress this enough, the changes to Firefox make it look like hammered shit on a sidewalk.

You should be warned that it looks like hot vomit in addition to being morally reprehensible.
It took literally about 10 seconds to find a theme to change the default theme into something more usable. I guess if I spend another minute i'd probably find something perfect.

Only been playing around with it for a few minutes but any discussion about "speed" seems to be overblown. Maybe its using a different cache than my chromium based browsers but the first few times loading up my normal sites was painfully slow.
(update: Since then it's been extremely fast. I guess it just needed to build a cache)

Opera, maybe?

are people still using opera?
The mobile versions of Opera are quite competent. Worst thing they do is add bookmarks every now and again as a form of advertising. I just delete the extraneous bookmarks and go on.

I also did not know anyone still used FF. I thought everyone had settled for Chrome or moved over to Brave, or even Edge, which is not all that bad anymore either.

meanwhile Opera is doing this (sorry if mentioned before, I did use the search feature) I just have a feeling the free built-in VPN just tunnels everything through China?

650876-opera-gx-3.png

Opera-GX_8.jpg

My claim is that as a company, Mozilla is working in the wrong direction, and that I'm not going to bother checking to see how they control my information. They already stated they have an interest in being gatekeepers, not browser builders.

It opens up with deplatforming isn't enough. That's literally the opposite of transparency. The article isn't seeking to be "transparent" when it goes after advertisers and content creators, it wants to dox people and block their voices.

Also, I a cannot stress this enough, the changes to Firefox make it look like hammered shit on a sidewalk.
Yep, I saw that post awhile back and uninstalled Firefox immediately. I was using edge from day 1 in windows 10, and still do.

Boy, their list of goals sounds terrible.... Not?

Additional precise and specific actions must also be taken:

Reveal who is paying for advertisements, how much they are paying and who is being targeted.

Commit to meaningful transparency of platform algorithms so we know how and what content is being amplified, to whom, and the associated impact.

Turn on by default the tools to amplify factual voices over disinformation.

Work with independent researchers to facilitate in-depth studies of the platforms’ impact on people and our societies, and what we can do to improve things.

What is the obsession these days with adding so much useless whitespace everywhere in UI design? Haven't we learned to not bring touchscreen concepts to desktop?
Not too long ago some were complaining about this very forum's UI update. Has that calmed down now?

To try to answer your question though, it seems the general consensus is that more white space leads to a more relaxed feel. Also due to the greater variety in screen sizes, some UI design has had to make compromises to sort of meet everyone's needs, or lowest common denominator, instead of make X number of alternate versions which obviously would take more time to develop and maintain. I've seen way too much white space in some designs especially some years ago, but nowadays things are generally more even and apps are more often offering zoom/layout options.

Websites though, yea, they are still the worst to suffer from this. Just a few years ago people were doing this "break points" in the design, that was more like alternate layouts based on screen sizes, and the problem there is if you are on the edge of a certain size, you had a ton of white space. That's how most of the pre-built template-based web layouts were handled. Recently there are some additional HTML/CSS things that allow for things to more-or-less scale seamlessly, but it takes some maths and careful layouts so things don't break or get wonky at the extremes (the largest 4/8K screens to the smallest phone/watch displays)

So, in short, we're still in some growing pains...

The Chinese-ness isn't necessarily the objectionable part here, it's the fact that Opera's new parent company leveraged...
The company that bought Opera has a browser of their own that has literal spyware in it and uses malware-like practices to keep itself installed.

Safe to say Opera has been tainted, which is sad given they had some of the best features for years before moving to Chromium. Vivaldi browser carries on the legacy, ironically better utilizing Chromium for Opera features than Opera has done since.

Firefox mobile (beta) isn't crashing as much, so that's nice.

Looks okay. Different but not bad. Not sure I will switch back but I will give it a shot.

Hm does anyone notice big differences? I don't see a huge change in tabs except that they have rounded corners now? The only thing I really noticed is that "X wants to use your microphone" is now "X wants to use your [microphone icon]"

Granted, I don't do a lot of messing around with the browser itself after initial setup, but who does?

New "downloads" icon took some getting used to but I like it better now, the pie icon is much easier to quickly note download progress, and then it turns back to an arrow. I actually love it now.
The biggest changes will be experienced by those who had already customized Firefox to a degree- for example, with compact toolbar mode (which is gone now by default). The min/max/close buttons in the top right are also really really tall (compare it to Edge or something, you'll see it right away).

unfortunately, from what I have read, this workaround will be "fixed" in the next update and you won't be able to revert it.
I might have to look into the ESR version because I really can't stand this "new and improved" UI
ESR is basically just a few versions behind for "stability" but has security up to date. It might be good to use that until the UI stuff stabilizes (or cements itself, who knows).

A fresh new pile of shit is here. FTFT.
Their title not mine!

Oh, I see. I never cared for the sync feature outside of my phone and tablet. I always kept my PC's (when I had multiples of them) as their separate entities with different uses.
Anyway, I just uninstalled Firefox and went Waterfox. Much more usable and configurable UI.
I used Waterfox until it was quietly sold to a shady data mining company last year which is extra bad considering it started out as a privacy oriented browser.
Lol, my mother somehow turned tablet mode on on her laptop, I nearly took it up a high-rise just to toss it in a dumpster from the 35th floor. MS UI is still broke AF, they really need to accept win 10 for PC should act like a PC OS
I don't care for MS's push for mobile features over desktop use but tablet mode is nice to use at times on a convertible laptop with touchscreen capabilities, it's also really easy and quick to switch back and forth so I'm not sure what sort of issue you had.

I don't care for MS's push for mobile features over desktop use but tablet mode is nice to use at times on a convertible laptop with touchscreen capabilities, it's also really easy and quick to switch back and forth so I'm not sure what sort of issue you had.
My issue was where did the desktop go... and how do I get it back. Its super easy to switch back and forth once you figure out why the desktop went all broke AF. Its also the fact that now to get to the settings for things like say, microphone levels, what used to be two clicks is now something like 4-5... and its still exactly the same dialog it was in win 7, you just have to click through the settings ap first, now.

Back